PDA

View Full Version : 12V plug in wagon

Airstrike
7th February 2011, 07:39 PM
Howdy guys, ok firstly let me say I met with Tank (bigrig's) awesom GQ over the weekend and what a TANK looking forward to the Landcruiser park in March to see how she goes.

Now the question :) I am playing with designs for the back of my GQ in regards to Fridge or a chuckwagon etc. Has anyone built in a 12V plug into the back of there wagon and if so have you any design or photos on how you went about it?

Cheers
Ryan

DX grunt
7th February 2011, 08:49 PM
Howdy guys, ok firstly let me say I met with Tank (bigrig's) awesom GQ over the weekend and what a TANK looking forward to the Landcruiser park in March to see how she goes.

Now the question :) I am playing with designs for the back of my GQ in regards to Fridge or a chuckwagon etc. Has anyone built in a 12V plug into the back of there wagon and if so have you any design or photos on how you went about it?

Cheers
Ryanhttp://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Evakooland12v003.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Evakooland12v011.jpg

G'day Ryan. Glad you asked.

I was blessed with 12v already installed in my truck when I got it. Don't know how they did it, but here's the pics for it.

I would suggest you don't rush into it. Make out your wants and needs list, check out the other forums and plan for the future.

I personally believe it's best doing things properly the first time, but understand it's not always how it works out.

PS: I'm not trying to hyjack your thread. Ross

molongmick
7th February 2011, 09:30 PM
I managed to do mine quite easily. I used a 15amp fuse, narva socket, switch and about 7m of 4mm cable.
Ran the cable from my seond battery through the firewall along the trim that sits on the floor/door throuht to the back. The pics tell the rest of the story.

Finly Owner
7th February 2011, 11:17 PM
I managed to do mine quite easily. I used a 15amp fuse, narva socket, switch and about 7m of 4mm cable.
Ran the cable from my seond battery through the firewall along the trim that sits on the floor/door throuht to the back. The pics tell the rest of the story.
This is a neat set up that will be ok for a fridge

the evil twin
7th February 2011, 11:34 PM
I recommend two plugs. I also recommend at least 1 of them is a Merit Plug (like in Ross's Pic). Mine was done by the prev owner and is an Engel Plug (2 pin) and a Ciggy Socket which is also fine if you have an Engel frig.

There are a few reasons for opting for two sockets such as ... I run two Engels on long trips 1 as a Freezer and 1 as a Frig so both plug into the rear power panel and if you have a frig in 1 socket the other is there for compressors, lights, inverters etc

You can switch both but I would only bother switching one of them and they can be in parallel so no need to run seperate power cable. Mine are unswitched and fused at the battery.

HILLBILLY BOY
7th March 2011, 09:05 PM
I have them in the back of my GQ, I got an amplifier wiring kit and ran the wires to the back where the jack sits, I pulled the inner bracket out and cut a replacement panel out of alloy sheet, it has two ciggy plugs plus volt gauge and fuse box, I haven't got a photo yet but can do if interested. My jack now lives in the drawers (not that it fits anything)

Airstrike
7th March 2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah mate a photo would be great.

HILLBILLY BOY
8th March 2011, 08:09 PM
Here is a quick photo for you to have a look at. The fuse box is behind the panel, as it only has two bolts holding it on it is quick enough to take off and change the fuse.

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r400/bundyboy22/100_0457.jpg[/IMG]

The photo is from my old car but the panel is the same, now I just have a bit more crap in the way with rear drawers.

mich@el
8th March 2011, 08:51 PM
Here is a quick photo for you to have a look at. The fuse box is behind the panel, as it only has two bolts holding it on it is quick enough to take off and change the fuse.

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r400/bundyboy22/100_0457.jpg[/IMG]

The photo is from my old car but the panel is the same, now I just have a bit more crap in the way with rear drawers.

So this is built over the original storage hole on the back left had side? Look nice.

Bigcol
9th March 2011, 01:01 AM
I fitted an Engel plug with switch & light into the side panel on the passenger side

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/Car/105_5848.jpg

ran the cable through the floor channel to a fuse block then onto my 2nd battery
plug in Engel, turn switch on, works lovely

cheers

HILLBILLY BOY
9th March 2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I pulled the bracket out that held the jack in place and replaced it with that, I figured the standard jack wasn't going to lift the car so it had to go. The amp install kit works well, it is the right length, it's fused at the battery, it's thick enough too and easy to fit.

jaxt
9th March 2011, 12:56 PM
mine's similar to molongmick but with a 6mm cable instead of 4mm.

89GQ
9th March 2011, 01:35 PM
I used 9mm Square with no voltage drop seperate runs to both pos and neg on the batt. Anderson Plug is for the fridge, Got rid of the ciggy plug on fridge lead.

Airstrike
13th March 2011, 09:39 PM
I am just worried about alternator or the battery as I only have 1 and cant fit a second