PDA

View Full Version : Hope you never have to use it

threedogs
12th April 2014, 03:48 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301130360494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hope you never have to use it, but you may be glad you had it with you

brycebrown
12th April 2014, 04:06 PM
how many do you have?

MEGOMONSTER
12th April 2014, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty sure I got one in the first aid kit I got from St John's.
Although with resuscitation you really wanna start straight away, unless someone else gets it for you.

threedogs
12th April 2014, 04:48 PM
how many do you have?

Just thought it might be handy to throw in your first aid kit.
A few of us are putting together survival packs, just in case.
but nice to know you have all bases covered

menace 2
12th April 2014, 08:29 PM
Actually a must to have for your own protection...but you have to know how to use it properly to make it seal or you are wasting your time..would be good if even just basic first aid was taught in a later stage of school

Winnie
12th April 2014, 08:33 PM
Actually a must to have for your own protection...but you have to know how to use it properly to make it seal or you are wasting your time..would be good if even just basic first aid was taught in a later stage of school

It is. I had to learn first aid in school but I wish I paid more attention lol

menace 2
12th April 2014, 08:35 PM
Ah ok...its been a while (a long while lol )..since I was at school...cheers

AB
12th April 2014, 08:41 PM
Ah ok...its been a while (a long while lol )..since I was at school...cheers

Winnie only left school last week so don't feel bad.

meh
12th April 2014, 09:41 PM
In all honesty it is better to just keep on with the chest compressions then stopping to try and provide breaths.

Compression's keep the blood flowing and by the time you have done 30 you have only started to build some blood pressure in the body so while you stop to ventilate you've just lost what you made.
Along with this is that when a person is lying on their back they naturally get 16% of oxygen through gravity where as when you breath for them we only exhale 23%. Minimal gain.

As a paramedic there is nothing better then turning up to some one in cardiac arrest and having good CPR done. Get your first aid cert guys!!

Remember, in the center of the chest, push down about 1/3 the depth at a rate of 100 per minute. If you go to fast your not letting the heart fill up with blood to be able to pump. (I also see this alot) If you can do compression to the beat of staying alive by the beegees. Ah Ah Ah Ah staying alive.

jack
12th April 2014, 09:46 PM
Great info meh, a paramedic mate told me something similar but not the bee gees timing bit - that's brilliant.
Hope to never need to put into practice.

oncedisturbed
12th April 2014, 11:33 PM
Have had 1 of those in my kit for years and also have a heap of the single use shields as well

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

megatexture
13th April 2014, 12:08 PM
I remember my father and I were driving one day and my father saw a old man laying in some grass he pulled up and ran over and called me over, he started to give CPR while I ran to the nearest house to call 000 ( before mobiles) when I ran back more people had stopped to help, ambos arrived after like 30 mins and the fella lived to see another day!
think my father even visited him in hospital. We got a phone call from his wife 6 months later to thank my father for allowing him to have a further 6 months with his grand kids and his children but he had passed away from another heart attack a week earlier.

One of these mask would have come in handy as from what I've seen you don't want to be literally mouth to mouth!

I had to laugh though when the ambos asked my father about the situation he had no idea what he was doing lol, he told them he just did what he had seen on the TV show " royal flying doctors" lmao but it worked!