PDA

View Full Version : where to mount winch control box and clean up aluminium

boggy2006
7th February 2011, 03:30 PM
hi,

I just put my winch onto the GQ after picking up a winch bar off Ebay for $76 (bargain I thought!). After a 5 hour journey through flooded roads and then the next 2 days fitting it (that was hard work!), it's finally on. However, I've currently got the control box bolted to the top of the bumper, standing vertical, but it looks a bit out of place. I also had to take off the big Nissan badge as it clashed! Where do people usually put the control boxes? The cables are quite short, about 30cm.

ps, also the aluminium is quite tarnished and corroded, what's the best way to clean it up?

cheers

BillsGU
7th February 2011, 06:08 PM
I put my control box behind the bullbar. I have a remote control so I don't have to access the box - but I can still reach under it and connect the control lead if required.

I was so sick of trying to polish the alloy bar that I ened up buying a smart bar - they are all plastic and clean up very easily.

boggy2006
7th February 2011, 09:31 PM
thanks, yeah, should have thought about that really when I was doing it, but I'd run out of thinking power by then!! Shouldn't be too much bother to move it behind the bumper outer section....he says!