PDA

View Full Version : MK rear bumper options

kool-lights
10th April 2014, 07:49 PM
The rear bumper on our shorty has had a good life. But is looking very sad.
Son wants a rear wheel carrier so we're wondering if plans or ideas are available.

Son is a good welder.

james008
17th April 2014, 11:30 PM
His best bet would be fabbing one up out of tube, plate or RHS.
I have a bumper made out of RHS, its not bad but it is heavy and ruins the departure angle. It would easily be strong enough to take a wheel carrier though.
I can throw up a pic or two if you want.

Frosty MK
14th March 2015, 02:24 PM
Hi There I am really new at this game and would love a rear bar with wheel carrier on my MK is it possible to get one from a GQ and modify the mounting points?

threedogs
14th March 2015, 06:51 PM
fold up a "C" section in 4mm, make the lower edge on an angle to clear water and enclose the ends , weld some plates on to pick up the chassis rails
Space it back from the doors and position your stub axle,
You could even make the rear bar out of 100mm x 50mm rhs very solid,, the Arms to hold the spare wheel can be 76mmx 40mm rhs,
Draw it all out its not chicken surgery lol

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SWING-AWAY-REAR-BAR-SPARE-WHEEL-CARRIER-FOR-4WD-39mm-x-250mm-PLL-STUB-AXLE-/321487147003?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4ada208ffb

threedogs
14th March 2015, 06:52 PM
Hi There I am really new at this game and would love a rear bar with wheel carrier on my MK is it possible to get one from a GQ and modify the mounting points?

Yes it would be possible IMO, it may be a pretty close fit anyway

Frosty MK
18th July 2015, 12:41 AM
I am looking foward to really getting my hands dirty, first things first though old n tired suspension needs replacing before i can think about a rear bumper