PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use these ghillie stoves

threedogs
8th April 2014, 04:37 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-0ltr-Explorer-Ghillie-camping-Kettle-with-Free-Base-Stand-/201068974222?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_Accessori es&hash=item2ed0a5108e
Just after some feed back ,if anyone uses this style of Kettle.
There was an Aus version but have forgotten their name ,maybe Nat Geo are the ones.

From memory the Aus version came in a wooden box with two enamel cups
with the name burnt into the lid

MudRunnerTD
8th April 2014, 04:57 PM
I have seen them used a couple of times and work great. Maybe Roofy has one??

I have a Jetboil ;) that's the sh1t mate!

I think your linked item would boil off a fire lighter even!!

Sir Roofy
8th April 2014, 05:02 PM
i have seen them used a couple of times and work great. Maybe roofy has one??

I have a jetboil ;) that's the sh1t mate!

I think your linked item would boil off a fire lighter even!!

sorry no but my dad had one years ago idont know what happened to it
but it work really well

oncedisturbed
8th April 2014, 05:13 PM
Not that particular 1 I haven't but there is Aussie version that boils off leaves and small twigs and boils really quick.

You can use a piece of heximine tablet under it as well, not sure on alcohol fuel like a Trangia burner.

From memory Oz Pig do 1 and the other I think was called a hill billy kettle or similar.

Excellent bits if kit, I have a different version of the jet boil kit and works great as well, about 2-3 mins max to boil a 1L kettle

threedogs
8th April 2014, 05:15 PM
I know they have been around for a while , but makes sense to me if you can boil a cup of tea just using leaf litter
to break up a driving stint or just doing some tracks. quicker than breaking out the gas burner I think.

Does Cobb & Co ring a bell for the Aussie version

Edit found two aussie mobs one is the Royce Rimfire 3 ltr which I'll get
the other was called a Kelly Kettle.
would still like to know that one in the great presentation wooden box

firm351
8th April 2014, 10:06 PM
My old man has one called the Aussie bush kettle. He's had it for about 20 years, works a treat. He mainly uses it with a bit of metho poured into a little dish that fits underneath, only takes a few minutes to boil a full kettle. Also works well on leaves and twigs. His one has a wooden box, the lid comes in handy to snuff the metho out then you just pour what's left in the dish back in the metho bottle. Here's a link, pretty pricey but last for ever so worth it I reckon.

http://www.bushkettle.com.au/

threedogs
9th April 2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks Firm351 that's the one ,looks like they re named it ,