PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket airbox

Matty852
6th April 2014, 03:34 PM
I bought a 88 GQ a few weeks ago now and I'm starting the work to hook up the snorkel what would be the best airbox to be able to plum the snorkel and turbo?

I got into the quarter panel last night and pulled out the old cyclone filter so hopefully I can just fit a new airbox into the exiting snorkel

BigRAWesty
6th April 2014, 03:55 PM
Most just keep the primary cylinder filter setup.
The blokes running big numbers fit commodore boxes or custom stuff from mill weld etc

MudRunnerTD
6th April 2014, 04:50 PM
You can buy a replacement air box from PatrolDoctor in Vic that will go into the front left corner and take a GU Primary Filter. 3" inlet and outlet. Bolt in and keep your second battery.

If you chasing something a little more extreme the 4" stainless snorkel through the bonnet into a PatrolDoctor large air box but loose the second battery.

Check out their web site.

Keeping the Pre-filter box from Nissan is a little small. The GQ filter to suit that box is a Pre Filter and not designed for Primary Filtration. The GU TD42 filter goes I. The same place and is a Primary filter but is slightly bigger. I have modified my GQ box to take the larger filter but am looking to swap it out at some stage.

Matty852
6th April 2014, 05:57 PM
I just had a look, the patrol docta gu box seems to be the way to go, snorkel wise I will keep the one fitted on it for now and see how it goes, because of the intake in the snorkel

I am not too sure how it will go giving me enough airflow so worst case I will just use the existing hole in the quarter panel and make up a stainless snorkel and use the holes already made.

It makes things difficult with how low the snorkel sits on the panel and nothing else on the market would cover up the holes. 42994

MudRunnerTD
6th April 2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah. bugger! Sh1t of an exhaust! You have a TD42! Wow wonder what that snorkel is off?? Never seen one like that before.

You will probably have to chase a new quarter panel I'd say. Then anything possible.

Matty852
6th April 2014, 08:19 PM
I said the same thing when I first saw it, the it actually draws upwards through a piss ant intake, I haven't seen anything like it before

Winnie
6th April 2014, 08:25 PM
I said the same thing when I first saw it, the it actually draws upwards through a piss ant intake, I haven't seen anything like it before

TD42 needs a lot of air when turbod. That snorkel will really limit you.

Matty852
6th April 2014, 08:40 PM
I figured as much, as it is I am running a larger high mount already. I brought it as it was, once it dies on me I will replace it with a low mount Mitsubishi turbo. So it looks a bit tidier. My main concern at the moment is to get rid of the pod filter and hook a snorkel up and fit a new airbox. 43008

Matty852
6th April 2014, 08:48 PM
Once that is taken care of I will be looking at fitting an oil cooler to help it deal with the Darwin temperatures

Matty852
15th April 2014, 07:31 PM
So for now I have settled for a zd30 airbox which fits in nicely, I will look at a stainless box once I swap out my turbo for a low mount which will give me a bit more space to play with

Matty852
15th April 2014, 07:33 PM

I forgot to attach the photo hahaha

Robo
18th September 2015, 01:14 PM
Have a look at.
how to upgrade air box td42t