PDA

View Full Version : Bang goes the 2.8TD

lachiek
6th February 2011, 07:47 PM
Driving on the M5 highway in Sydney on the weekend my 2.8 GQ suddenly stalled and a big single cloud of black smoke exploded out of the back. I got off the road and found everything looking ok under the bonnet, no oil or coolant loss. Normal. Not wanting to risk it I got it towed to m mechanic who cranked it over and it started and ran beautifully (lucky I waited 4 hours for the NRMA :furious:).

Question: Any gurus on here have any ideas what happened?

Mechanic is gonna check it out and if nothing is wrong I'm getting the timing belt and valve clearances done (one cylinder was lower in compression).

Thanks, Lachie

YNOT
6th February 2011, 08:41 PM
Black smoke indicates incomplete combustion/unburnt fuel, so maybe a blown turbo or a muffler dropping a baffle and blocking the exhaust. That does not tie in totally with the engine stalling though.

Tony

lachiek
6th February 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks Tony, yeah the turbo is in my sights. Only bought the truck 2 weeks ago, was dropping it in this week to get the wastegate opened or an overhaul. Its been overboosting and venting through the BOV at high rpm (makes a kinda ch-ch-ch chopping noise).

The stall has got me confused though...

Cheers

nowoolies
6th February 2011, 11:41 PM
crankcase detonation caused by excess fuel ???????

lachiek
7th February 2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks nowoolies, that doesn't sound good... What's the remedy for that?

Mechanic has it on the hoist now so I'm holding my breath this morning.

Bigrig
7th February 2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks nowoolies, that doesn't sound good... What's the remedy for that?

Mechanic has it on the hoist now so I'm holding my breath this morning.

Good luck with it mate. Hopefully nothing too serious (or expensive!!)

lachiek
8th February 2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks Bigrig. Good news this morning! Mechanic (a good one) checked electrical system (thought it could be a fault in the turbo timer wiring) and fuel delivery. He reckons it was a vapour lock (rare in Diesels but given it was 45 deg on the M5 and I wasn't sparing the horses, possible) or an air lock.

I'm getting a new fuel filter, turbo overhaul, timing belt and tappets done then off to start building up my dream round Aus truck.

Cheers for all the input guys.