PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Window Winder Handle GQ 1992

bugsy
6th February 2011, 12:22 PM
Hi, I have a H&&?? workshop manual and looked up how to remove the window winder handle.
All it says is remove the window winder crank using a hooked tool to remove the retaining clip.
I can't see how or where to remove the retaining clip on the actual handle. A photo would have been good. They put one in on unscrewing the locking button but not showing where / how to remove the retaining clip. Strange.
If someone could help it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

bugsy
6th February 2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention I did do a search on the site before posting and only found information regarding electric to manual conversion.

Thanks

Paul

the evil twin
6th February 2011, 12:39 PM
Hi cobber,

OK... if you push the trim in and look closer you will see a "C" shaped circlip of small diameter wire. It sits in two slots of the plastic boss of the winder handle and the clip is not very big... it is made out of maybe 1mm dia wire if that

If you slowly rotate the handle while looking down between the handle and trim you should spot it easily

In the centre of the "C" is a slightly bent section that sits proud of the boss and you can get a Crotchet Hook or similar into and pull the Circlip out. Not being into crotchet I used a bit of stainless wire about 3mm in dia to make the tool but ingenuity should find something around teh house for you to use.

Replacement clips are about $2 at Nissan because Murphy says at some stage one will "fly" away never to be seen again but if you are careful you can reuse them any number of times

Bob
6th February 2011, 01:13 PM
Replacement clips are about $2 at Nissan because Murphy says at some stage one will "fly" away never to be seen again but if you are careful you can reuse them any number of times

That is why they are called Jesus Clips

patch697
6th February 2011, 01:14 PM

LOLOLOL....... Patrols have a lot of them........

the evil twin
6th February 2011, 01:35 PM

ROFL... Gold

If that was the case in my shed they'd be called "Arrrgh FFS Clips"

bugsy
6th February 2011, 03:11 PM
Hi cobber,

OK... if you push the trim in and look closer you will see a "C" shaped circlip of small diameter wire. It sits in two slots of the plastic boss of the winder handle and the clip is not very big... it is made out of maybe 1mm dia wire if that

If you slowly rotate the handle while looking down between the handle and trim you should spot it easily

In the centre of the "C" is a slightly bent section that sits proud of the boss and you can get a Crotchet Hook or similar into and pull the Circlip out. Not being into crotchet I used a bit of stainless wire about 3mm in dia to make the tool but ingenuity should find something around teh house for you to use.

Excellent thanks mate,
That was explained simple and clearly enough for even me to understand.

Much appreciated.

Paul

Bob
6th February 2011, 03:20 PM
Its great to see you acknowledging ET for solving your problem. Well done

bugsy
6th February 2011, 03:55 PM
Replacement of window winder handle.
And for those who may read this thread at a later date. Replacing the handle is easy. Replace the clip on the handle, and push the handle straight onto the splined shaft. As the end of the shaft is tapered it spreads the spring and then clips back into place on the slot. Don't forget to fit the grey stepped surround to the window winder crank handle before replacing it.

Paul

MQ MAD
7th February 2011, 10:10 AM
Also put your hand near the end of the handle,where the clip could "Fly"off
Some are not just a simple push on ,with extra force the clip parts company and off it goes,thru the air