PDA

View Full Version : Dual fuel issues

Peter Kalamaras
5th February 2011, 08:58 PM
Hi All,
My GQ has dual fuel set up, when its running off the back tank no probs, it also works on the front tank but if you need to go up a hill or increase speed suddenly it starts to chugger along and loose power, does anyone have an idea what that might be

Thanks
PK

Bigrig
5th February 2011, 09:08 PM
Hey mate, when you say back tank are you referring to LPG and hence front tank petrol? If so (I have dual fuel also, and others on the forum are far more tech savvy than me), it sounds like you have isolated it at least to a petrol system and/or petrol related problem (likely but still not definite without more info). This is going to be the simplest question of all time, but how much fuel is in the tank?? Obviously my first thought (as you said it's ok until you go up a hill) is the tank is nearly dry and you are slurping up petrol as it splashes to the back of the tank (going uphill). Is it only uphill as such, or any time you put the boot into it (under power taking off from lights etc)??

Others will have better questions and better answers for you, but that's the best I can come up with after a few collides on a Sunday night!!!! LOL

Tony - how did I go?? Time to give up?? lol

YNOT
5th February 2011, 09:11 PM
You did OK Scott. But I'm wondering if he means dual tanks rather than duel fuel? If it is ex Telstra I would expect it to be a diesel.

Tony

Edit, just checked his intro, it is a diesel.
As per Scott's (Big rig) post, how much fuel is in the front tank when the problem occurs?

Bigrig
5th February 2011, 09:21 PM
You did OK Scott. But I'm wondering if he means dual tanks rather than duel fuel? If it is ex Telstra I would expect it to be a diesel.

Tony

Edit, just checked his intro, it is a diesel.
As per Scott's (Big rig) post, how much fuel is in the front tank when the problem occurs?

Damn it!!! I forgot the obvious questions ... even moreso than the one I asked!!! LOL ... thanks mate, see you tomorrow ... I think it goes without saying that I will be of no assistance whatsoever!!! lol

the evil twin
5th February 2011, 10:31 PM
I think he means dual tanks as opposed to dual fuel as well... if that is the case then there seems to be a feed problem at wider throttle settings so maybe a crushed fuel pipe underbody or a blockage. I mean fuel starvation is pretty much got to be the issue doesn't it if it runs OK on minimal load and also is fine on the other tank?

YNOT
5th February 2011, 10:38 PM
Most likely fuel starvation as you suggest, less likely but still possible is air getting into the fuel system.

Tony

the evil twin
5th February 2011, 10:43 PM
Most likely fuel starvation as you suggest, less likely but still possible is air getting into the fuel system.

Tony

Good call as well...

Could be so many things... even an Aux tank with contamination as another outside possibility... aaaaah, the joys of motoring. ROFL

YNOT
5th February 2011, 10:48 PM
Good call as well...

Could be so many things... even an Aux tank with contamination as another outside possibility... aaaaah, the joys of motoring. ROFL

And the joys of being a motor mechanic, having cars cars with these sorts of faults rolling in day after day.............not me anymore, I'm glad I got out of the motor industry!

Tony

Peter Kalamaras
10th February 2011, 12:29 AM
Boy you guys dont muck around awesome! It's diesel, it only happens when im in 3rd at around the 50
km mark to be exact.Tank could be full or empty, doesn't make a difference. I spoke to the previous owner and he said it could be water in the tank?? and that the GQ had some sort of release thingy to extract the water, Is that true or am i a fool?
Thanks all for your input
PK

Bigrig
10th February 2011, 08:35 AM
Boy you guys dont muck around awesome! It's diesel, it only happens when im in 3rd at around the 50
km mark to be exact.Tank could be full or empty, doesn't make a difference. I spoke to the previous owner and he said it could be water in the tank?? and that the GQ had some sort of release thingy to extract the water, Is that true or am i a fool?
Thanks all for your input
PK

Get both tanks emptied out and cleaned - I believe their is a product for this, but not sure of the name (mine is petrol). That would rule out water or any other contaminates. Would need to flush to fuel system also I assume, and others will be able to provide greater info on this one.

Peter Kalamaras
13th February 2011, 07:15 AM
ok thanks mate