PDA

View Full Version : zd30 5th gear

rookiepatroller
27th March 2014, 05:10 PM
gday fellas,
just drove the 3800kms back home to darwin from melbourne, all was going well until we reached wycliffe well (the alien capital of aus) when i lost 5th gear and had to drive the 1000 odd kms back to darwin in 4th gear after changing the oil in tenant creek. Need some advice on a couple of things, 1. wheres a good place to source parts? 2. is it worth the rebuild or should I find a later model box and put that in? 3. does anyone know a place in darwin i can use their hoist and jacks etc? any other advice would be welcome.

Bloody aliens jinxed my truck!!

Cheers!!

Stropp
27th March 2014, 06:04 PM
hey mate check patrolapart a forum sponsor, very reasonably priced, there is a known issue with the early 5th gears, i would get the part and replace what needs doing, patrolapart will give you all the detail on what you will need as they are very helpful. As for fixing it i cant help there but there are a couple of forum members up there that my be able to give some advice.

happygu
27th March 2014, 06:44 PM
Rookie,

You must have about the only one left in Australia that didn't break earlier, and get fixed by Nissan....

It is a little too late now - I don't think Nissan would come to the party and fix it for you, but there is a replacement gear kit, where they supply a different shaft and new gear, which fixes the issue permanently.

Mic

mudski
27th March 2014, 07:37 PM
Providing the box is original you will be right on getting the correct update kit. If your not sure if the box is the original box you need to do a tooth count on the fifth gear. The differences are 23 or 25 teeth. Big difference in price too. While you have it apart you might aswell put new synchro's in and a bearing kit. A change over box is easier but not cheaper.