PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Warning Buzzer

4by
26th March 2014, 09:40 PM
I often drive with my lights on during poor weather or early mornings to work. To save a flat battery I recently fitted a headlight warning buzzer and thought I'd share how I did it. If I turn off the car ignition with the lights on even parking lights the buzzer will sound.

USED:
Basic 12 volt buzzer with 2 wires, red for positive and black for negative or earth.
Insulation tape.
Soldering iron and solder
Philips screwdriver
Pliers or crimping tool
Wire strippers

1. I remove the steering column plastic cover by removing the 5 screws from the bottom of the column.

2. From the right side of the column I found the brown plug with 2 red wires and 2 blue wires. The blue wire with black stripe which is the top wire of that brown plug. This wire is the parking light wire. (i tested it with a meter) This is where I connect the RED wire from the buzzer. I stripped this blue wire with black stripe and soldered the red buzzer wire to it. I made sure I insulated the connection with electrical tape.

3. On the other side of the column (left) of the steering column I found the white plug which is the ignition wiring. Unplug the plug and noted the black wire with white stripe. Its the middle wire on second row of the plug. This is where I connect the BLACK wire from the buzzer. Again I insulated the connection.

Refitted the plastic around the column and all good.

The headlights and parkers work as normal when the car is running or the key is on accessories. If I turn off the key the buzzer will sound until I switch off the lights. The buzzer was too loud so I wrapped some insulation tape around it.

Cheers 4by.

04OFF
27th March 2014, 12:15 AM
Awesome, been meaning to do this for ages, your instructions/pics should make it very easy now :bigthumbup:

Where did you get the buzzer (jaycar?) Pic or part number would be very helpful too

threedogs
27th March 2014, 06:51 AM
I thought it was STD on GU's

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2014, 07:10 AM
Brilliant mate... I often leave my lights on and people are forever pointing out this fact.... then I reply like a smart ass "Nah its fine I have 3 batteries" but really I am thinking shit I left the bloody lights on again!!!!!

I will be doing this mod in the next few days for sure...cheers!!!

4by
27th March 2014, 07:40 AM
Awesome, been meaning to do this for ages, your instructions/pics should make it very easy now :bigthumbup:

Where did you get the buzzer (jaycar?) Pic or part number would be very helpful too

Jaycar will sell buzzer. Search BUZZER on their site...
Heres 2 from their site you could use.

"AB3452 RRP $3.95*
This handy little solid state buzzer operates between 5- 15VDC.
Used in many applications"

"AB3462 RRP $3.95*
It offers medium to loud sound output, low current consumption and is extremely durable."

4by
27th March 2014, 07:53 AM

Maybee late models have them Im not too sure but Im on my 4th GU and neither had the buzzer.

04OFF
27th March 2014, 08:03 AM

Nah , the early ones didn't have it, weird i know, my 1998 nissan pulsar had it, but my 1999 GU has not :(

Jaycar will sell buzzer. Search BUZZER on their site...
Heres 2 from their site you could use.

"AB3452 RRP $3.95*
This handy little solid state buzzer operates between 5- 15VDC.
Used in many applications"

"AB3462 RRP $3.95*
It offers medium to loud sound output, low current consumption and is extremely durable."

$3.95 !, so expensive (lol)

Thanks again mate, this will help a lot of people out for sure :thumbup:

Bazhemps
27th March 2014, 10:13 AM
My 2001 GU has it

Rickie3
27th March 2014, 02:55 PM
Maybee late models have them Im not too sure but Im on my 4th GU and neither had the buzzer.Strange both my 98 and 2000 model ST's have it on them

04OFF
27th March 2014, 03:26 PM
One explanation is if the factory buzzers likes to die ?

Can someone with one in a early GU track down where the noise comes from, and take a pic of it (thats if its not inside the body control module)

04OFF
27th March 2014, 03:36 PM
Had a look in my owners manual, and headlight reminder chime comes under "if so equipped", so obviously NOT all GUs had it fitted.

Yendor
27th March 2014, 03:59 PM
Had a look in my owners manual, and headlight reminder chime comes under "if so equipped", so obviously NOT all GUs had it fitted.

Only the good ones have it fitted :tease:

gaddy
27th March 2014, 04:01 PM
Only the good ones have it fitted :tease:

I was about to say that , I reckon steve's good enough to make a talking one ! Something like hey you with the camera turn ya lights 04OFF sake !

Gtags
21st March 2024, 07:38 PM
my 2008 ST doesn’t

pollenface
25th March 2024, 11:18 PM

my 08 crd definitely has a buzzer, although in the past I would lock the drivers door as an OCD hack to remember to turn the headlights off when trying to exit the car, althought that doesn't help if you get maccas drive thru and then sit in your car and eat it.