PDA

View Full Version : Fuel efficency, Turbo's, Extractors, exhausts and Injector Tuning TD42

Raid7
28th June 2010, 02:24 PM
Hi

I have here a GQ 4.2 Diesel non turbo. Has a approx 350,000k's complete stocker engine wise which is in very good condition, owned since brand new never worked hard.

Its well overdue for injector cleaning or replacement and i've been tossing up whether to turbo it in relaxed mode! to achieve better fuel efficency and more torque. Less throttle climbing hills hopefully.

Regarding milage, without an accurate test, I'm averaging abount 450's on a tank around the street, or 550K's on the highway completely empty .. trying really hard to lean it out as much as possible on the throttle. really like to know what I should be expecting out of a tank with a good setup as I don't think she's running on song.

Weighing up the cost of a turbo age and mileage I'd be interested to know what the thoughts are turboing a good condition lazy 350,000K TD42 intercooled or not, and if other members have any experience with other options like extractors and 2.5" Exhausts with a good Fuel pump Injector tune to suit.

I've been reading articles with mixed opinions with people running extractors some say it has excellent advantages and others say turbo all the way.

I have no plans on getting rid of the vehicle at any time soon, quite frankly I can't see any other options that would replace what I have. A Brand new $80,000 in the Mud doesn't appeal to me so i am willing to sink some funds back into the beast.

Any ideas, tips, discussion or hints would be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations where to go to have the work done would also be appreciated.

patch697
28th June 2010, 03:04 PM
Raid Welcome to the forum Mate & don't forget to stop by "Introductions" & tell us a bit about yourself.

I love your attitude BTW of keeping your GQ. Im of the same mind set....

I think you are thinking on the right track. From everything I have read on the subject of turbo installations on the TD42 engine, your drive ability will increase considerably & from all reports fuel economy increases from around 16 to 17lts per 100 to around 10 to 12lts per 100 & im sure you would have read plenty of personal testimony supporting these facts as well.

If you haven't in sure you will get a few to read here. Good luck with your conversion

Cheers
Paul

holy4x4
23rd August 2010, 12:37 PM
well that was quick! Something I can help with!

Exctractors on my beast help loads. Actual figures I can't help with due to diff ratio changes at the same time but I was impressed while driving it out of the garage.
I am getting the turbo next but i'm going to keep the boost to a minimum. I'm only trying to get up hills a little quicker / easier.
If your pump is due for a service it would be worth tying it all in as it will need to be retuned for the turbo anyway.

my91gq
23rd August 2010, 07:10 PM
g'day i got a gq td42 running extractors and a 2.5 straight threw muffler system and its heaps better than my mates patrol with nothing hes getting 500 round town and im averaging around 600km a tank around town this is all on 33 inch mud terrains and a 4inch lift kit, hope that helps ya out mines done 355000kms to

Finly Owner
23rd August 2010, 10:58 PM
Raid not sure wher U R mate. Welcome any way.

If you r in Brisbane, you should contact Dan @ Diesel Austrlaia in Slacks Creek. Exchange Injectors are approx $70.00 each(SD33T) from him. and he can help with pumps as well.

dieseltrol
1st October 2010, 05:14 PM
Your truck sounds a bit thirsty, mine with a turbo and 33`s use`s 12.5 down to 11 on the open road on cruise @100km. Would go the turbo as I have seen it done with other trucks that have the same amount of KM`s, and even with out going to hot on the tune it will most likely kill the clutch so factor that into what ever you come up with.

Phill

Finly Owner
5th October 2010, 10:02 PM
Raid I also think you need to check engine displacement for turbo install

tkn
27th January 2011, 11:33 AM
One of the best things you can do before parting with your hard earned is part with a little cash and put your Patrol on a dyno and have its power output checked i.e. power output at the wheels!

Anyway they should give you a print out of a performance graph - easier to read than a heap of figures.

If you've got your doubts about the injectors, about $500 will get you an exchange set. Maybe do that before the dyno. Also, check that the injector pump timing marks are aligned. If no timing marks you will have to have the pump timed - 0.74mm is the displacement.

Depending on where you go, the shop doing the dyno test for you might be able to tune the Patrol by exhaust emissions.

Once you have a fully tuned Patrol (assuming a decent exhaust system), then decide whether or not you need a turbo. Keep in mind that you may have to have the Patrol dyno tuned again after the turbo instal. Don't depend on the installers to get it right and if you do the job yourself, part with the extra to have tuned right.

maque
8th November 2011, 12:19 PM
One of the best things you can do before parting with your hard earned is part with a little cash and put your Patrol on a dyno and have its power output checked i.e. power output at the wheels!

Anyway they should give you a print out of a performance graph - easier to read than a heap of figures.

If you've got your doubts about the injectors, about $500 will get you an exchange set. Maybe do that before the dyno. Also, check that the injector pump timing marks are aligned. If no timing marks you will have to have the pump timed - 0.74mm is the displacement.

Depending on where you go, the shop doing the dyno test for you might be able to tune the Patrol by chrome exhaust tips (http://www.stylintrucks.com/category/performance/exhaust_tips.aspx) emissions.

Once you have a fully tuned Patrol (assuming a decent exhaust system), then decide whether or not you need a turbo. Keep in mind that you may have to have the Patrol dyno tuned again after the turbo instal. Don't depend on the installers to get it right and if you do the job yourself, part with the extra to have tuned right.

hi ive been looking for the exhaust. do you know the best and cheap store to buy one? thanks for any help.

Finly Owner
10th November 2011, 12:18 AM
Exhaust would be $1500-$3000

Ben-e-boy
10th November 2011, 08:43 PM
A gq wagon stock in good nick will make about 70-75 hp at the wheels. I know this as I asked various mechanics while I was getting quotes for my turbo install and saw their dyno shets of other customers. Before I turbo'd mine I had extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust, snorkle, k&n filter and a pump tune I made ( dyno proven) 88hp at the wheels. these little mods are good for about 15 hp. Its not alot granted but its near 20% increase in power, which is noticeable

twinotter600
12th November 2011, 10:34 AM
I highly recommend you get you injectors serviced and advance the IP to about .84

gqdriver
27th January 2012, 04:53 PM
I just got my 1st Patrol TD42 and put extractors on it, I dont rekon it made much differance at all but might of helped with fuel economy.

Ben-e-boy
28th January 2012, 09:47 PM
I just got my 1st Patrol TD42 and put extractors on it, I dont rekon it made much differance at all but might of helped with fuel economy.

it wont make much of a difference with just extractors, if you exhaust is still standard size it will restrict your flow, if your air intake is still standard with pre-filter that is useless for good flow also

eliurquhart
5th July 2012, 10:58 PM
You could look on ebay, I think that you can pick up extractors and 2.5'' exhaust for $8-900 DYI installation.

makeitfit
6th July 2012, 06:19 AM
Following this thread with interest as I'm going down the turbo route shortly ;) Will be going into 3" s/s exhaust straight out full flow :-)
What are "extractors" though ?

no eye deer
7th July 2012, 11:52 PM
I am getting 600 ks ATM same specs but 400k. 31s town. Slow as!! Just had pump done last week. Dont have current fuel usage yet.

Tango173
9th July 2012, 05:29 PM
Diesels love to breathe.
Get the air in: snorkel, k&n filter, hyclone
then get it out: Extractors and 2.5 inch exhaust

You will get benefit from doing the injectors, but do the pump at the same time

Richo460
9th July 2012, 08:48 PM
i have a TD42 with 412 000 on it. It was getting 12ks/l on the highway with 33" muds and 4" lift and had the same power and economy as my old stock td42 ute. I put a turbo on it myself recently and running 8psi with no intercooler and half a turn on the fuel screw it drives heaps better, doesn't get hot and i am happy as. I will need to get a better exhaust system and a proper tune and it should be really good. Not sure what fuel it gets now but i am expecting the smae or a little worse.