PDA

View Full Version : Sub tank fuel transfer pump

Winnie
26th March 2014, 05:25 PM
Hi all,

I've got a 75L sub tank to go into the GQ here and I'm collecting the parts to do the install. I received the dual filler neck today and am wondering what sort of fuel pump you should use to transfer to main tank? I've got no idea, couldn't find anything on google. It's for diesel if that makes any difference. Any help would be great.

the evil twin
26th March 2014, 05:36 PM
Not 100% sure on the GQ but one of my GU's is aftermarket

Any eleccy pump will do fine assuming you are wiring it in seperately and not using the Nissan Sub Tank Computer.
If you use the Nissan Computer you need to find a pump with a similar resistance or use a load resistor in parallel otherwise the stupid computer faults out

I can't remember the brand of the aftermarket jobbie on my Ute but it transfers at approx 1 litre a minute (LPM) and I had to put a 7 Ohm load resistor across it.

The factory pumps are a bit quicker at 1.5 LPM but gob smackingly expensive when I got some prices.

If you use an aftermarket switching setup remember that the majority of pumps use the fuel to cool themselves so don't let them run empty for too long.

Bloodyaussie
26th March 2014, 05:40 PM
Set mine up last week and gave it a run on Sunday while driving over to Andys house......

Just a low volume that takes 5 million years to pump over.. need to improve on the set up but motivation is not there!!

Winnie
26th March 2014, 05:49 PM
Not 100% sure on the GQ but one of my GU's is aftermarket

Any eleccy pump will do fine assuming you are wiring it in seperately and not using the Nissan Sub Tank Computer.
If you use the Nissan Computer you need to find a pump with a similar resistance or use a load resistor in parallel otherwise the stupid computer faults out

I can't remember the brand of the aftermarket jobbie on my Ute but it transfers at approx 1 litre a minute (LPM) and I had to put a 7 Ohm load resistor across it.

The factory pumps are a bit quicker at 1.5 LPM but gob smackingly expensive when I got some prices.

If you use an aftermarket switching setup remember that the majority of pumps use the fuel to cool themselves so don't let them run empty for too long.

Thanks ET. No computer on the GQ. Really that slow? I was hoping for something a bit quicker even if it's 2-3 L/min
The tank I got is from a TB42 so has a fuel sender in it, my plan was to wire that to the fuel gauge and have a switch to show the two separate tanks and watch the sub tank go down as it is pumping so I can stop it when it's empty.
Maybe even have a double throw switch for the fuel pump so it shows the sub tank on the gauge only while it's pumping, I'd rather that than have two gauges.
How have you done your Johnny?

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

Bloodyaussie
26th March 2014, 07:22 PM
Hey just a thought... did you get the bent upper control arm???

Winnie
26th March 2014, 07:35 PM
Nah so many people say you don't need it but so many say you do... apparently depends on how much flex you have... I don't have much.

AB
26th March 2014, 07:36 PM
Nah so many people say you don't need it but so many say you do... apparently depends on how much flex you have... I don't have much.

I heard that too mate but I think you should get it done as it will hit.

healy
26th March 2014, 07:41 PM
With the one you have its not needed it has the gap on the tank so it dosnt hit

Winnie
26th March 2014, 08:16 PM
With the one you have its not needed it has the gap on the tank so it dosnt hit

I don't think so

the evil twin
26th March 2014, 09:14 PM
Cool bananas...
If you haven't got a sub tank computer then it's easy peasy... any 12 Volt fuel pump will do.

healy
26th March 2014, 09:30 PM
I don't think so

My mistake different one. But that one didnt hit with a 4" lift.

Winnie
1st April 2014, 08:04 AM
Need a bit of help finding the right pump. Been to Bursons, Repco and Supercheap here in town and none of them were any help at all. I've got no idea at all what I am looking for can someone post a link or something?

Bloodyaussie
1st April 2014, 09:01 AM
Did you ask George??

At the end of the day the one I have is not so bad....??? $60 odd

Winnie
1st April 2014, 09:06 AM
Yeah I spoke to George but everybody else I have spoken to say that it needs to be a low volume pump.
I asked Patrolapart and they wanted $120

Where did you get yours?

threedogs
1st April 2014, 09:27 AM
would just need to be high GPH job

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aeroflow-Electric-Black-Fuel-Pump-Carby-140GPH-Holley-Carburetor-AF49-1010-/291031626719?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c2d633df

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-Volt-24-Volt-Fuel-Oil-Diesel-Transfer-Pump-40-L-min-/190969270257?pt=AU_Pumps&hash=item2c76a7cff1

Bloodyaussie
1st April 2014, 09:51 AM
Yeah I spoke to George but everybody else I have spoken to say that it needs to be a low volume pump.
I asked Patrolapart and they wanted $120

Where did you get yours?

Why does it need to be low volume?????

Drewboyaus

Does anyone know if there is a reason people keep saying that? Is it just because that is the standard way to fit it? Is there more risk of running the pump dry with the faster one perhaps?

Drewboyaus
Snap.......

threedogs
1st April 2014, 09:59 AM
or is it low PSI ?

Winnie
1st April 2014, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know if there is a reason people keep saying that? Is it just because that is the standard way to fit it? Is there more risk of running the pump dry with the faster one perhaps?

The reason I have heard people say that the diesel will foam up. Not sure about petrol though?

Sir Roofy
1st April 2014, 10:22 AM
It foams up at the bowser and you dont have problems

Bloodyaussie
1st April 2014, 10:50 AM
The reason I have heard people say that the diesel will foam up. Not sure about petrol though?

Ha ha ha... diesel thing hey... dont have that problem..

Winnie
1st April 2014, 10:52 AM
Ha ha ha... diesel thing hey... dont have that problem..

I can deal with it ;)

I am not worried about that problem though, can somebody help me find or knows where to get an inline 12V fuel pump that will pump around 1-2L per minute?

Winnie
1st April 2014, 11:11 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300839526289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This should work? 2.2L/min

Sir Roofy
1st April 2014, 12:26 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300839526289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This should work? 2.2L/min

so long as you don't mind the speed easy to fit

liftlid
2nd April 2014, 09:59 AM
The tank suppliers use the fuel flo pump
plastic thing you can get them off eBay,
Now I see why you asked your question on my thread!

liftlid
2nd April 2014, 10:05 AM
This is the wiring diagram for mine

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 10:24 AM
Cheers for that Gary. I ordered the facet pump so shouldn't have the problem of it going brittle. This is the diagram that Yendor kindly drew up for me. Same idea as yours.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Forum Runner

liftlid
2nd April 2014, 11:13 AM
Cheers for that Gary. I ordered the facet pump so shouldn't have the problem of it going brittle. This is the diagram that Yendor kindly drew up for me. Same idea as yours.

Looks good if you have a later model sender the buzzer could be useful check at how many litres left will it turn on though or it could be annoying, yenders drawing seems to have pump running when using the aux gauge and mine you can only see the main tank gauge when pumping.

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 11:41 AM
I don't have a low level sensor so can't do that one. That's how I asked him to draw it

liftlid
2nd April 2014, 12:03 PM
I don't have a low level sensor so can't do that one. That's how I asked him to draw it

Perfect then,
All I need is somebody to tell me which models had in tank pumps and Im set as well!

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 12:03 PM
Fuel injected models that were converted to gas did don't they? Ask Jonathan.

lucus30
2nd April 2014, 12:27 PM
Fuel injected models that were converted to gas did don't they? Ask Jonathan.

Yeah mine has everything running in the sub as my main is lpg

liftlid
2nd April 2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah mine has everything running in the sub as my main is lpg

What model GU is your car ?
What do the diesels have for their aux tank?

lucus30
2nd April 2014, 11:51 PM
What model GU is your car ?
What do the diesels have for their aux tank?

Mine is a 1998 tb45e petrol not diesel though

BigRAWesty
14th February 2015, 07:17 PM
So which electrical diagram did you use in the end?

Also I can't seem to find the sub tank instal manual link??