PDA

View Full Version : LRA GQ LWB auxiliary fuel tank install manual

AB
25th March 2014, 09:42 PM
A member kindly sent us the LRA install manual for the auxiliary tank suited for a GQ LWB

Please find attached the manual.

Perfect timing for me as mine is collecting dust in the carport...lol

Enjoy!

Winnie
25th March 2014, 09:49 PM
Bullshit.... I was just Googling this right now! haha

MudRunnerTD
25th March 2014, 11:25 PM
Hey AB, 5 x M5 X 8mm pan head screws for the sender mate! Happy days.

AB
26th March 2014, 06:06 AM
Hey AB, 5 x M5 X 8mm pan head screws for the sender mate! Happy days.

Cheers bud, easy done!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Bloodyaussie
26th March 2014, 07:48 AM
I have the screws you need???

Stropp
26th March 2014, 12:53 PM
i had to move the brackets on mine as with the sliders on the tank would not fit so had to move the brackets to get it in, something that was not thought about when i bought it.

Bloodyaussie
26th March 2014, 12:59 PM
You also need to remove the lower control arm bolt now rather than later when you break the thing and put the bolt in from the other side..

AB
26th March 2014, 02:49 PM
I have the screws you need???

Yes please mate. I took the other sender off it all lines up but different pitch.

BigRAWesty
17th May 2014, 10:14 PM
Found it.. Awesome

BigRAWesty
17th May 2014, 11:28 PM
Ok small question..
I have 2 ports at the rear of the tank.
1/2" and 3/8 I think.
I have all the correct filler and breather ports at the top of the tank..
So???

AB
18th May 2014, 03:53 PM
Ok small question..
I have 2 ports at the rear of the tank.
1/2" and 3/8 I think.
I have all the correct filler and breather ports at the top of the tank..
So???

Do you mean the ports are at the top of the rear part of the tank or the bottom of the tank?

Wang some photos up???

BigRAWesty
18th May 2014, 05:16 PM
So you can see supply and return on the sender unit,
And filler, quick fill breather and expansion breather.
Then 2 more left of pic, which are at the rear of the tank..
And yes, I'm missing a mount..

AB
18th May 2014, 07:04 PM
So you can see supply and return on the sender unit,
And filler, quick fill breather and expansion breather.
Then 2 more left of pic, which are at the rear of the tank..
And yes, I'm missing a mount..

No idea mate, I'm on the phone but there is another diagram on here ill try and find for you which may help solve this.

Looks like your missing a mount too?

AB
18th May 2014, 07:08 PM

BigRAWesty
18th May 2014, 07:55 PM
Yep um guessing that mount is that pita one to get off. If only I knew a decent welder... ;-)

Seems weird to have a pickup on the sender and tank??

AB
27th May 2014, 07:16 AM
Also Westy being yours is probably the same as mine and out of a carby to be used as an aux tank on a dual neck filler you will need a reducer for the aux filler hose.

The aux tank will be 48mm, I can't remember what the neck will be but it will be smaller in diameter so you'll need a reducer.

BigRAWesty
27th May 2014, 10:09 AM
Na not running a dual filler neck, I'll be running an overflow setup.

BigRAWesty
15th February 2015, 10:35 AM
Found it!!!! 4th page of a 'LRA sub tank maunal'....

werasmus
27th November 2015, 09:33 AM
Sorry for resurrecting old post, but what do you mean by overflow setup, I'm at that point now. Thanks

mudski
27th November 2015, 04:40 PM
Sorry for resurrecting old post, but what do you mean by overflow setup, I'm at that point now. Thanks

Im assuming if he's only using one filler bascially the aux tank gets filled once the main tank is full. I assume the main is connected direct to the aux and it basically overflows into the aux tank.

AB
27th November 2015, 08:34 PM
Sorry for resurrecting old post, but what do you mean by overflow setup, I'm at that point now. Thanks Not sure what Westy ended up doing but I highly recommend to pay the extra $$$ and get a dual neck.

It takes long enough at the bowser filling up both tanks on dual necks let alone filling up the main and waiting for the aux tank to fill with an overflow from the main neck.

BigRAWesty
27th November 2015, 09:04 PM
Not sure what Westy ended up doing but I highly recommend to pay the extra $$$ and get a dual neck.

It takes long enough at the bowser filling up both tanks on dual necks let alone filling up the main and waiting for the aux tank to fill with an overflow from the main neck.
I personally can't see it taking any longer. It's not like your using smaller hose.

Simply the second filler line is T'd off the main fill line above the top of the main tank level.
Once main is full the fuel over flows into the sub..
This is the system Toyotas use..

But.
I'm now putting a Y peice in behind the main cap so you simply insert the nozel into the tank line you wish to fill..

Winnie
27th November 2015, 09:24 PM
I personally can't see it taking any longer. It's not like your using smaller hose.

Simply the second filler line is T'd off the main fill line above the top of the main tank level.
Once main is full the fuel over flows into the sub..
This is the system Toyotas use..

But.
I'm now putting a Y peice in behind the main cap so you simply insert the nozel into the tank line you wish to fill..
That was cause havoc with the fuel foaming up and clicking the nozzle off!

AB
27th November 2015, 09:27 PM
I personally can't see it taking any longer. It's not like your using smaller hose. Simply the second filler line is T'd off the main fill line above the top of the main tank level. Once main is full the fuel over flows into the sub.. This is the system Toyotas use.. But. I'm now putting a Y peice in behind the main cap so you simply insert the nozel into the tank line you wish to fill.. if you did a perfect 45 V then that would work I guess but then you fill up both at the bowser every time costing $$$ or you fill both to half and transfer.

I leave 10litres or so around town in the aux to stop rust and only use the main and fill up and run the aux every few months to keep it fresh otherwise you're carrying useless weight.

A T piece would be a monumental nightmare though and you would honestly be at the bowser for 10 minutes trying to slowly squeeze the trigger as the backup will cut off the fill.

AB
27th November 2015, 09:30 PM
That was cause havoc with the fuel foaming up and clicking the nozzle off! If not installed perfectly symmetrical it may tend to fill one side and as Winnie said it could a nightmare too.

BigRAWesty
27th November 2015, 10:01 PM
It will be directly behind the cap.. so nozel will be in one or the other.
And Toyotas have no issue using the over flow setup. It's all they use.
But there secondary tank is the rear so it fills the belly tank first and then rear..

AB
27th November 2015, 10:04 PM
It will be directly behind the cap.. so nozel will be in one or the other. And Toyotas have no issue using the over flow setup. It's all they use. But there secondary tank is the rear so it fills the belly tank first and then rear.. No worries that sounds better. So it's not an overflow set up it's just two feeds like a dual neck then???

BigRAWesty
28th November 2015, 08:39 AM
No worries that sounds better. So it's not an overflow set up it's just two feeds like a dual neck then???
Yep.. may as well use those welding skills for something.....

As simple as the overflow T setup is the Y dual filler will be less stuffing around.

Bloodyaussie
18th January 2016, 05:30 PM
I just picked up a LRA aux tank for free and had already purchased Patrolaparts new filler pipe set up for the LRA tank (I already have the twin filler neck) as I have been having problems with getting the clamps and hoses tight.. I often had full leaking out of the filler hose while at the servo and am sick of the stuffing around making different set ups work together.

Now I have a very good Brown Davies tank but the filler on them is much smaller and it can take time to fill the bugger plus other issues I was having.

Now they mount differently and I am trying to remember the fun time we spent under AB's car drilling on some weird angle and holes not lining up... can anyone jog my memory as to how that all went.

Now my Brown Davies tank will be available if someone who is not flush with cash and is an active member who needs or wants it... A few members come to mind so will let them have first dibs.

jay see
18th January 2016, 05:42 PM
Now my Brown Davies tank will be available if someone who is not flush with cash and is an active member who needs or wants it... A few members come to mind so will let them have first dibs.

That's good of you BA.
That will only fit a GQ right?
I'm sure it wouldn't take to long to move it on.
Good luck with your install.

BigRAWesty
18th January 2016, 05:59 PM
Is the brown Davis tank a petty tank bloke?
May pay before you fit it mod it to the bigger deisel hose size..

Bloodyaussie
18th January 2016, 06:24 PM
The brown davies was on my car from when it was petrol gas set up and the filler hose was a mother to get on if it was ever removed..

the issues I have are with the down sizing to the smaller hose size and having mixed match hoses and reducers so looks messy and there is room for errors..

This is why I am going with complete matching set up as the tank was free I am not out of pocket much and it is all supposed to fit straight up.

Going back to my original question about drilling holes for the mounting brackets... does anyone remember??

AB
18th January 2016, 07:11 PM
The brown davies was on my car from when it was petrol gas set up and the filler hose was a mother to get on if it was ever removed.. the issues I have are with the down sizing to the smaller hose size and having mixed match hoses and reducers so looks messy and there is room for errors.. This is why I am going with complete matching set up as the tank was free I am not out of pocket much and it is all supposed to fit straight up. Going back to my original question about drilling holes for the mounting brackets... does anyone remember?? I think we just sat the tank in the spot whilst someone marked the holes on the cross member?

Bloody can't remember either!

BigRAWesty
18th January 2016, 07:18 PM
Looking at a few install threads ab's correct.
Hold mark and drill..

Bloodyaussie
18th January 2016, 07:23 PM
Those lra fitting instructions have all the bolts listed so will get what i need and start after this frickin heat f$#ks off.

BigRAWesty
18th January 2016, 07:35 PM
Tell me about it lol. Need to polish a couple of cars but that ain't going to happen

Winnie
18th January 2016, 08:29 PM
I think we just sat the tank in the spot whilst someone marked the holes on the cross member?

Bloody can't remember either!
Yeah that's what we did!
We did use reducers for the filler necks and I think that's why we are having a bit of trouble with high flow diesel pumps.

AB
29th April 2016, 08:07 PM
Mainly aimed at Winnie but the hose we ran for the aux tank filler was a bit dodgy mate.

Patrolapart cringed at what we did and they showed me a kit they get off LRA which comes with the properly bent pipe from your neck and sneaks between the chassis rail and body over the main tank directly to the aux tank.

Even though we did the Simpson and countless other trips it is a bit dodge mate and rubbing. I actually completely forgot about that hose we ran and it's still rubbing and will fail in years to come.

I decided to buy it mate so let us know if your keen. It was a hundred and something, can't remember exact price but it comes with all the fixings and hoses, bends etc to perfectly suit.

Winnie
29th April 2016, 08:09 PM
Hey mate, yeah I did notice it a while ago when I was under the car. I will get that kit soon

Bloodyaussie
30th April 2016, 06:31 AM
I fitted that kit some months back and is a million times better..... can be bloody tricky getting that metal pipe to squeeze its way into position and it helps to at least take out the bolts towards the front of the main tank so it drops.a bit to give you a bit of room to get it in.

I rang lra and they gave me a clue as to how it went in but said it was a very long time ago since they fitted one last.. they also said it comes on from the bottom front.

Once in it is so much better than a dodge hose.

BigRAWesty
30th April 2016, 06:44 AM
If your throwing the sub filler in the same hatch as the main grab the steel tube setup off a gu.

AB
30th April 2016, 08:42 AM
Yep, Patrolapart said they are a bit of a nightmare and can pretty much wipe off half a Saturday.

shoey50
29th July 2017, 11:28 PM
Has anyone ever had a issue with forgetting to turn the aux pump off and running it dry?

TPC
29th July 2017, 11:52 PM
Has anyone ever had a issue with forgetting to turn the aux pump off and running it dry?

What Patrol do you have? In my GU I believe it automatically shuts the pump off when the sub is transfered to the main.

AB
30th July 2017, 08:12 AM
What Patrol do you have? In my GU I believe it automatically shuts the pump off when the sub is transfered to the main.

He's probably talking GQ tony replying to this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
30th July 2017, 08:15 AM

Yes I did it a few times at the start forgetting to turn it off, the pumps don't like running dry either, overheats, etc.

One best way is to fill the aux tank up, do a full pump to a main tank in your carport and time it and use your timer whilst touring to remind you.

TPC
30th July 2017, 08:35 AM
He's probably talking GQ tony replying to this thread.

Oops, I should reed the title of the thread.

Winnie
30th July 2017, 09:49 AM
Yes I did it a few times at the start forgetting to turn it off, the pumps don't like running dry either, overheats, etc.

One best way is to fill the aux tank up, do a full pump to a main tank in your carport and time it and use your timer whilst touring to remind you.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah I know mine takes about 40 mins to transfer fully, so I set my phone as a timer at 35 mins and turn the pump off at that time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rossco
30th July 2017, 09:55 AM
About to wire mine back all up. . . Hope it all works [emoji53]

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
3rd August 2017, 08:28 PM
So anyone want a gq tank?
Mudrunner gave me one a while back that needed repair.
Repair has been done but it needs the strap mount to swing arm mount.
Basic bit of flat bar with a hole.
Sender is shot but there.
Clean inside.
Only down fall is its in mt gambier lol..

AB
28th December 2017, 12:33 PM
PeeBee

Here you go Phil.

MB
28th December 2017, 04:30 PM
PeeBee pics of AB’s GQ wagon tank.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/148.jpg Rear mounts x 2 onto cross member http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/149.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/150.jpgFront mount x 2 bolts onto cross member also. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/151.jpg Where’s the beasts keys AB ? :-)

the evil twin
28th December 2017, 04:49 PM
Good idea to use those tamperproof Torx ... means no bugger knocks off ya tank when ya nip inta the bottlo for 30 seconds

MB
28th December 2017, 04:53 PM
Hmmmm, yes ET :-) Me thinks some thieving has been occurring from a kiddies playground and or stock room :-(

AB
28th December 2017, 05:30 PM
Good idea to use those tamperproof Torx ... means no bugger knocks off ya tank when ya nip inta the bottlo for 30 seconds

Thanks ET, dibber dobber ;)

the evil twin
28th December 2017, 05:41 PM
... I esp like the lock washer cunningly disguised as two hex nuts

MB
28th December 2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks ET, dibber dobber ;)

All good mate, sharing is caring ;-)
BTW, pinched two beers, borrowed a pair of shorts and added some salt to your pool :-)

PeeBee
28th December 2017, 07:39 PM
Thanks Mark, gives me a good start, now just have to work out how to get the tank up into position, packing boards I am thinking.

MB
28th December 2017, 07:55 PM
Will do my very best mate to finally visit your Cantina before years end and help lift. After properly seeing AB’s today I’m thinking they have designed it pretty bloody well. Looks like the front can be lifted and wedged onto the cross member then thinking a little ratchet strap to lever up the back end and hold whilst marking holes then drop/drill and repeat for final bolt up maybe could work for us?

PeeBee
28th December 2017, 08:01 PM
Will do my very best mate to finally visit your Cantina before years end and help lift. After properly seeing AB’s today I’m thinking they have designed it pretty bloody well. Looks like the front can be lifted and wedged onto the cross member then thinking a little ratchet strap to lever up the back end and hold whilst marking holes then drop/drill and repeat for final bolt up maybe could work for us?

No sweat mark, not stressed if it doesn't happen until Feb. I will focus on finishing the endless air project, then am off to Pirtek tomorrow morning for the hose to connect the aux. oil cooler. Feel free do simply drop around if you have the time anyway. Your method has me thinking now, so will have a look again in the morning.

GQHQ
28th January 2020, 01:39 PM
Hi All,

I am trying to download the installation manual for the long range petrol tank. However, the site is asking me to post something first etc in order to download. Can anyone help with the link and copy it here for me so that i can download the manual.

Also i am assuming this is a full manual containing instructions on how to install main tank and also connect spare tank to the main and pump etc?

Thanks heaps.
Cheers

rusty_nail
28th January 2020, 07:19 PM
Yes mate, just post up in the introduction thread about yourself and the manual will become available.

Sent from my Armor 5S using Tapatalk

Boxhead92
21st October 2021, 11:44 AM
Thanks for th a information guys!

Liam2458
26th September 2022, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the help

maxiu
31st October 2022, 03:09 AM
Thanks for sharing!