PDA

View Full Version : The Satellite Phone Subsidy Scheme

ezza57
25th March 2014, 11:51 AM
The Satellite Phone Subsidy Scheme ends this month on the 31/03/14, if you doing a lot of travel in the outback then have a look here,

easy to do, so be quick

http://www.communications.gov.au/mobile_services/the_satellite_phone_subsidy_scheme

Maxhead
25th March 2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks mate, just applied.

AB
25th March 2014, 06:59 PM
Interesting I just got this warning on iOS chrome when applying. Thanks for the link, ill apply on desktop tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Sir Roofy
25th March 2014, 07:45 PM
funny that we got all the goss of that site

BigRAWesty
25th March 2014, 07:56 PM
Can anyone find the guidelines??

TPC
25th March 2014, 08:29 PM
Can anyone find the guidelines??

The guidelines are in the application form, just download it.

Bob
26th March 2014, 09:00 AM
Who is eligible for a subsidy?
You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or be
a registered organisation in Australia. You must live, work, or
operate a business in an area not served by a current
terrestrial mobile phone service. This includes Australia’s air
space, external territories and Exclusive Economic Zone.
You must be one of the following:
• a private individual
• a community group (non-government funded)
• a not-for-profit organisation with less than 20 full-time
equivalent employees—including casual and part-time (non
government-funded)
• an Indigenous corporation
• a small business
• an emergency service organisation
• a health organisation, or
• an educational institution
and you must either:
• live (have your principal place of residence) or run a
business (have your principal operating address) or
• spend a substantial amount of time (no less than
180 calendar days in the two years following the date the
phone was purchased)
in an area of Australia where terrestrial mobile phone coverage
is not available.
To qualify for a subsidy to replace a handset which is no
longer in your possession or is no longer operational, you must
have purchased a phone under this scheme three or more
years ago and your principal place of residence or the
principal operating address of the business is in an area where
there is no terrestrial mobile phone coverage.

Maxhead
26th March 2014, 01:56 PM
Does anyone know if there is a pre-paid plan that has long expiry (like 1 year)

I don't want to go on a monthly plan , I just want a prepaid plan so I can call out occasionally or in case of an emergency.

Also can you call an emergency number without a plan??

TPC
26th March 2014, 02:35 PM

I don't want to go on a monthly plan , I just want a prepaid plan so I can call out occasionally or in case of an emergency.

Have a look at this site, it has info about available call plans on the three popular networks. http://pivotel.com.au/

AB
26th March 2014, 08:01 PM
Bit of a handball as I'm just running out of time for any research but are there any prepaid plans available from the preferred suppliers rather than a monthly plan?

Has anyone checked this out?

I would love to apply for this as a communal phone for our travels and apply based on np for us to have a phone but not keen on an extra monthly bill for something that really won't get used much?

Happy for a slight premium annual prepaid fee though!

Sir Roofy
26th March 2014, 08:17 PM

go back to the link above in frequently ask questions says pre paid can be used if for 2yrs

TPC
26th March 2014, 08:41 PM
Bit of a handball as I'm just running out of time for any research but are there any prepaid plans available from the preferred suppliers rather than a monthly plan?

Has anyone checked this out?

I would love to apply for this as a communal phone for our travels and apply based on np for us to have a phone but not keen on an extra monthly bill for something that really won't get used much?

Happy for a slight premium annual prepaid fee though!

I believe you can get prepaid with "Applied Satellite Technology Australia" but the sim card they provide has a international number so it is expensive to call to the satphone.
With the Pivotel plan they supply a sim with an Australian number so calls to the satphone is charged at the same rate as to a normal mobile phone.
Both are still expensive to call from the satphone.

AB
26th March 2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks mate ill fill the form out tomorrow and see what happens.

AB
27th March 2014, 03:06 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Telstra are the biggest bunch of useless $%^$

I have been passed around multiple times and no one has any idea about sat phones and plans!!!!!!!!!

lucus30
27th March 2014, 03:50 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Telstra are the biggest bunch of useless $%^$

I have been passed around multiple times and no one has any idea about sat phones and plans!!!!!!!!!

Might be able to help... What you after exactly ?

Did you call 1800 632 995?

AB
27th March 2014, 05:40 PM
Might be able to help... What you after exactly ?

Did you call 1800 632 995?

Thanks mate but I'm all sorted now and sent the forms off.

Sat phone shop in mulgrave knew exactly what was going on.

Telstra....Got redirected 3 times over an hour with no knowledge of sat phones nor plans and eventually they gave me a number and it was disconnected...lol

NP99
27th March 2014, 10:05 PM
If it's not on their script, they can't help. :)

Maxhead
2nd April 2014, 06:22 PM
Mine was approved today. Valid for 2 months...

Now which one to buy...lol

Thanks for the heads up ezza57

AB
2nd April 2014, 07:37 PM
Mine was approved today. Valid for 2 months...

Now which one to buy...lol

Thanks for the heads up ezza57

I got a phone call yesterday asking for clarification on usage. You need proof of 180 days in remote areas in 2 years.

Well done kris hope mine comes through.

AB
5th April 2014, 09:17 AM
Yay, got the approval as well.

Cheers for the link mate.

BigRAWesty
5th April 2014, 11:27 AM
I didn't get it..

taslucas
5th April 2014, 01:26 PM
I didn't get it..

Couldn't you convince them that it leaves the driveway? Haha ;-)

Maxhead
5th April 2014, 01:36 PM
I didn't get it..

You didn't bullshit enough..lol

oncedisturbed
5th April 2014, 01:40 PM
Didnt try with subsidy as I couldnt qualify.
I bought a 2nd hand Irirdium late last year cheap and use a Telstra $10 p/m plan with international roaming activated on it and works like a treat.
No stupid ongoing high costs

Maxhead
5th April 2014, 01:54 PM
Didnt try with subsidy as I couldnt qualify.
I bought a 2nd hand Irirdium late last year cheap and use a Telstra $10 p/m plan with international roaming activated on it and works like a treat.
No stupid ongoing high costs

Hey, could you let us know which plan you're on as that is exactly what I'm looking for...Something cheap as it will only be used in emergencies. $120 a year is a great price for a bit of security

oncedisturbed
5th April 2014, 03:03 PM
$10 casual plan with Telstra. Call rates and msgs are high like $4 per 30 secs but its only for emergencies.

You HAVE to have international roaming activated for it to work.

The plan also is a no lock in contract and you can change when ever you need to

Maxhead
5th April 2014, 03:07 PM
$10 casual plan with Telstra. Call rates and msgs are high like $4 per 30 secs but its only for emergencies.

You HAVE to have international roaming activated for it to work.

The plan also is a no lock in contract and you can change when ever you need to

Hmmm, ferked if I know where to find it:(

This is all I can come up with : https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/satellite/#tab-access-plans

Min $35 a month

AB
5th April 2014, 04:20 PM

Yep...classic...lol

AB
5th April 2014, 04:22 PM

This is all I can come up with : https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/satellite/#tab-access-plans

Min $35 a month

When I spoke to the sat phone shop in mulgrave vic they said the $35 is the minimum plan to go on with these phones.

I'm keen to see if we can get that $10 plan though!!!!

AB
5th April 2014, 04:24 PM
Double post......

BigRAWesty
5th April 2014, 06:01 PM
Couldn't you convince them that it leaves the driveway? Haha ;-)

Yep...classic...lol

Yea get farked.
I said my near future plans are for remote travel full time..

But they said nup..

oncedisturbed
5th April 2014, 08:14 PM

Min $35 a month

They dont advertise it properly but it is on their site hidden away in their links somewhere.
It is not a satphone plan but a normal plan but as i said it needs international roaming activated.
I got mine through JB Hifi and it is a valid plan and does work on the Iridium phones and has done since July last year and I hunted throug tons of internet info to confirm it

Maxhead
6th April 2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info OD,

Bit more research suggest you can use a standard post-paid plan with int. roaming enabled as Oncedisturbed suggests but there is no where I can find a $10 plan:( Minimum post paid plan is $45/month

I think they may have changed their pricing. I'm going to go and have a chat with them today so I'll post something bit later

Maxhead
6th April 2014, 09:19 AM
Ok found it!!! WhoooHooo!

Its buried deep down in the archives...LOL

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/personal-critical-information-summary-mobile-casual-10.pdf

AB
6th April 2014, 09:23 AM
Ok found it!!! WhoooHooo!

Its buried deep down in the archives...LOL

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/personal-critical-information-summary-mobile-casual-10.pdf

Thanks mate, perfect!

Maxhead
6th April 2014, 09:29 AM
A good discussion forum which covers most networks, pricing, etc

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2221946

AB
7th April 2014, 04:58 PM
A good discussion forum which covers most networks, pricing, etc

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2221946

Not sure how you'll go with your chosen supplier Kris but I just rung mine.

To be eligible for the subsidy you must go on particular plans ie Telstra $35 month otherwise the shop owners cannot get there money back through the scheme.

Confirmed you can get a $10 month plan and put it on international roam and it works but you will not be able to get the subsidy.

Maxhead
7th April 2014, 05:12 PM
Not sure how you'll go with your chosen supplier Kris but I just rung mine.

To be eligible for the subsidy you must go on particular plans ie Telstra $35 month otherwise the shop owners cannot get there money back through the scheme.

Confirmed you can get a $10 month plan and put it on international roam and it works but you will not be able to get the subsidy.

I was afraid of something like this.

I'm going to buy a second hand one and go on the $10/month casual plan. It will only be used in emergencies, so hopefully never...LOL

Bob
7th April 2014, 05:18 PM
If you have a Iphone maybe this is the answer

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/gadget-turns-iphone-into-satellite-phone-20130927-hv1ty.html

AB
7th April 2014, 06:17 PM
If you have a Iphone maybe this is the answer

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/gadget-turns-iphone-into-satellite-phone-20130927-hv1ty.html

Looks like a good alternative Bob. I'm not sure on coverage with those systems.

If anyone has any knowledge on the different suppliers and available satellites on different suppliers please let us know?

TPC
7th April 2014, 06:50 PM
The Sat-sleave works on the Thuraya network.
They works on geo-stationary satellite's and will work any ware in Australia but you need to have no obstructions to the north when using it.

AB
7th April 2014, 06:53 PM
The Sat-sleave works on the Thuraya network.
They works on geo-stationary satellite's and will work any ware in Australia but you need to have no obstructions to the north when using it.

So deep deep valleys in the high country will be no good generally?

TPC
7th April 2014, 07:54 PM
So deep deep valleys in the high country will be no good generally?
That could be the case in deep valleys, around that area you would need clear view to around 25deg elevation.

AB
7th April 2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks mate so I'm guessing the iridium is far better service?

TPC
7th April 2014, 08:18 PM
The Iridium is the most robust service but they all have their pro's & con's.
The Iridium has an annoying delay so when you have a conversation with someone not used to the delay they tend to think you are not answering and talk over the top of you, takes getting used to.
The Globalstar service sounds the best but has had problems with failing satellites so there is gaps in coverage time as the satellites fly over.

Maxhead
7th April 2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks mate so I'm guessing the iridium is far better service?

For sure mate, matter of fact I just picked up older model Motorola 9500 for $150..LOl Should do the trick for the shack :)

I hope the older phones works with casual sim plans...LOL

AB
7th April 2014, 08:23 PM
The Iridium is the most robust service but they all have their pro's & con's.
The Iridium has an annoying delay so when you have a conversation with someone not used to the delay they tend to think you are not answering and talk over the top of you, takes getting used to.
The Globalstar service sounds the best but has had problems with failing satellites so there is gaps in coverage time as the satellites fly over.

Thanks mate, I'm more after reliability and coverage rather over quality of calls. I can teach people delay communication but would be more pissed if I didn't have coverage when mostly needed.

AB
7th April 2014, 08:34 PM
For sure mate, matter of fact I just picked up older model Motorola 9500 for $150..LOl Should do the trick for the shack :)

I hope the older phones works with casual sim plans...LOL

For our usage it really seems like we would save a grand by getting a second hand iridium like that 9500 or 9505 etc and getting that $10 plan really.

Maxhead
7th April 2014, 08:53 PM
For our usage it really seems like we would save a grand by getting a second hand iridium like that 9500 or 9505 etc and getting that $10 plan really.

Exactly what I was thinking. Don't need the bells and whistles of the newer models but just be able to ring in case of an emergency

the evil twin
7th April 2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks mate, I'm more after reliability and coverage rather over quality of calls. I can teach people delay communication but would be more pissed if I didn't have coverage when mostly needed.

I left the Satellite Industry 10 years ago now so a few things have changed so could be wrong now but...

First decision you have to make is this... do you go with geo stationary network (GEO) or low earth orbit Network (LEO)

Geo stationary/ Geo synchronous, one satellite, high orbit over the Coral Sea or thereabouts, long delay due to distance, powerful, coverage affected by terrain IE to get a signal when you have none you have to move.

L.E.O, needs heaps of satellites (the more the better coverage), minimal delay in conversation, can be poorer quality, coverage not affected by terrain IE if you have no signal just wait for the next satellite

GEO providers for example
Inmarsat, originally set up years ago for oceanic coverage but now do majority of most land masses as well
Thuraya, region specific IE does most of Europe, most of Africa, most of the Far East, middle East and Australia. Does not do America's or high latitudes

LEO providers for example
Iridium (most satellites 70 or so and claim 100% coverage of good old Planet Earth), went broke then rescued a few years later and now
Globalstar (not bad, not as good as Irridium) had a poor rep due to old gear but have upgraded satellites and much better now

E.T's vote for best coverage, quality and reliability... Iridium
E.T's vote for best versatility, value... Thuraya

AB
7th April 2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks ET....Vote 1 Iridium for me too...lol

oncedisturbed
8th April 2014, 01:12 PM
I have the Iridium 9505A, havent had a chance to take it out bush yet.
Accessories are a bit pricey though especially here in Oz

Edit: forgot to say mine came with a car antenna kit only, had to source a portable foldy standard antenna from the UK ($95) so i could use it outside of the car, same antenna over here was $240-300 ++

AB
8th April 2014, 06:30 PM
There's a few goodies on Ebay but I'm still tossing up between getting a new one with warranty or second hand.

TPC
8th April 2014, 07:36 PM
Something to keep in mind is repairs on sat-phones can only be done by a few places and they are very expensive.
We tried to do repairs at our work but they would not sell us the parts required.

the evil twin
18th April 2014, 08:36 PM
Spoiler Alert (see what I did there).

It appears our beloved friends at Telstra have killed the use of pre-paid Telstra sim card useage on the Iridium system.
I am led to believe some changes happened very late 2013 or maybe early 2014.

I only heard about it early in the week so checked a few different accounts and sims in my Iridium phone.
The only Telstra GSM usims that would "register" were post paid plans with international roaming.

All other cards I tried either refused to register and returned "restricted area" error
or
if they were prepaids with international roaming enabled attempted to register and returned "invalid account" error

Now, might have just been the sims that I had access too or could be global, don't know for sure and could also only apply to the old steam driven 9505 I have but I don't think so.
What I do know is it is a PIA as I only ever used pre-paids in my car phones in case they got ripped off and now I need yet another freakin' sim card and mobile number (sigh)

oncedisturbed
18th April 2014, 09:50 PM
I have the 9505A on the $10 post paid casual plan and it works fine

the evil twin
18th April 2014, 10:58 PM
I have the 9505A on the $10 post paid casual plan and it works fine

Yeah, I agree it will, but up until a while back you didn't need even the $10 casual access.
Pre-paid comes with international roaming enabled by default and used to work OK.
They are both at the same call rates so you were $120 in front using prepaid

AB
2nd May 2014, 08:51 PM
Well once again time is of the essence so I decided to buy a new phone using the approved funding so happy days.

Didn't want to be on a 24 month plan but I don't even own a mobile anyway...lol

At least we now have a device for the simmo and Mexican meet ups.

Ill now sms all of the members wife's with the new number so they can contact you when we have our meet ups...no hiding and no excuses now blokes...lmao