PDA

View Full Version : diesel additives--yes or no???

Boagie
5th February 2011, 08:28 PM
does anybody use additives in their vehicles? i have started using an additive by fuel company standadyne, it seems to be quite good.
It has sulphur in it, which lubricates the seals in your pump and also removes the water from the system.
what do you guys use--if any??????????

YNOT
5th February 2011, 08:33 PM
Check post #7 of this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2614-zd-30-turbocharger-adjust

There's one opinion. I've never used diesel additives myself so I'm curious to see what other people have used and their opinions of it.

Tony

nowoolies
5th February 2011, 08:55 PM
G`day
Tony i read somewhere on the forum about adding two stroke oil @ 200:1 for lube to top end and fuel pump
wouldnt this be cheaper and less chemical into the motor ???? and maybe better in the long run.
i wouldnt make a mechanics left boot lace so ....
just a thought to go with the first question
nowoolies
Paul

Boagie
5th February 2011, 09:03 PM
hey nowoolies-i think the oil would end up coating the inj nozzles .the price of a good two stroke oil isn't that cheap anyway.it also doesn't have the sulphur

big_fletch
5th February 2011, 09:19 PM
After fitting dawes and needle valves to my 3ltr patrol and blocking egr, I removed and cleaned intake pipes and removed rocker cover (was pretty grotty).. I ran diesel additive for about 4-5 tanks of fuel in a row.. removed rocker cover about a month later to change glow plugs, amazingly a lot of the muck was gone, engine was running smoother and absolutely no smoke at start or while driving.
I don't run it in every tank now, just every so often. Thats my experience with it anyway
It seemed to actually work so couldn't hurt I suppose

Fletcha

YNOT
5th February 2011, 09:42 PM
Which additive did you use Fletcha?

Tony

big_fletch
5th February 2011, 10:18 PM
I beleive it was called something like 'diesel power'.. Purchased it from autobarn after a reccomendation from a mate
This is a picture of it...
http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/1277/350_10387.jpg

nowoolies
5th February 2011, 11:10 PM
hey nowoolies-i think the oil would end up coating the inj nozzles .the price of a good two stroke oil isn't that cheap anyway.it also doesn't have the sulphur

i must be going nuts i cant find it again i did read it honest i did
i thought it sounded a bit odd two stroke oil in the fuel
cheers mate

YNOT
5th February 2011, 11:22 PM
cheers mate

Here it is; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2416-DIESEL-FUEL-2T-OIL-Superb-performance&highlight=castrol

Tony

the evil twin
5th February 2011, 11:26 PM
cheers mate

nah, your still sane... lotsa peoiple do it. (Google '2T' in your search)

Technically it should make bugger all difference to the older engines in search of Sulphur now that the newer fuel blends are "low Sulphur diesel" but it simply acts like upper cyl lubricant.

IMHO if you want to add upper cyl lube then add specific upper cyl lube instead of 2T in the newer donks which are designed to run on Low Sulphur fuel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it... just saying there is a few different options is all.

nowoolies
6th February 2011, 12:18 AM
cool thanks guys
i can now get out from under my desk lolol

oglenelgo
6th February 2011, 07:26 PM
use this stuff its the best that i have found www.costeffective.com.au

Spoons
7th February 2011, 06:47 AM
use this stuff its the best that i have found www.costeffective.com.au

I also use these products. Very good. The engine flush is also worth a go, I got about eleven and a half litres out of the sump when I first used it. Am also using Bimrose oils in everything, really quietened the motor down. Bimrose also has an additive in their oils that enhances slipperiness.

oglenelgo
7th February 2011, 09:17 AM
I use jmax and add AW10 Antiwear from this supplier in my oils,, instant silence and this I tell every one its liquid gold especially in the diff and gearbox no more diff winds and sticky gear changes… im not into promoting company products but its that good.

Mark_C
10th April 2012, 11:22 AM
I once read a very detailed account of oil structure/analysis and tribology on a web page. It was related to/linked to the Amsoil website. Anyone who knows anything about oils will know that Amsoil is up there with the VERY best. Amsoil synthetic oils outperform Mobil one continuously! The replacement period for the oil is literally staggering. Check out their website and data. (no i don't work or am i affiliated with them, i just prefer to use the very best available products) . Anyway, i digress. The info referred to "additives". The data and argument was leading us towards utilising synthetic oils made from the very best stable "stock", it continued that by putting additives into engine oil rather than uing a better oil, you ran the chance of blocking the oil filters as most high quality oil filters were designed to filter solids of a particular range out of the oil stream and by adding "moly" and "ptfe" type substances, the filter would have a reduced efficiency as the compounds/chemicals had larger a tendency to block/clog filter elements which would then see unfiltered oild tending to bypass the element. I didn't do the research and if i troll through my "favourites" or look again through some other info i will post the link. By the way, some of the info on the Amsoil site about heavy diesel machinery getting 20 000miles+ between oil replacement is astonishing. Seems to verify the notion that fully synthetic is the way to go.

Nissoj
18th April 2012, 01:34 PM
What about adding additive to the fuel. Where I travel it can get down to -20C in the night and the diesel gets kind of frozen. Doest that damages the engine?

Nissoj
19th April 2012, 12:53 PM
I guess you guys do not have that kind of temperatures in Australia, right?

Tymeup
19th April 2012, 02:39 PM
I run 2 stroke, have done for ages, will do for ever. Its all about the pump. Its the thing you can hear when your engine is idling, it is also one of the most expensive little things if you have to replace it. Once you start running 2 stroke you will notice a significant difference in the noise coming from you pump. Spoke to Berrima Diesel about this is well, they use and recommend 'Flash Lube' and warn against enjector cleaners that are solvent based as everyone forgets that before it gets to your injectors it has to pass through your pump first. Pumps don't like solvents.

There is heaps on 2 stroke oil in your fuel on the internet, I can't remember where but it all starts with a legal rep. from Europe talks about it in length as well as the removal of sulpher. Its a big read, if I can find it I will post.

Has to be mineral not synthetic.

Hope this is of use.

Ty.

tassie wombat
24th April 2012, 10:20 PM
ive just started using wynns edt,got an extra 60k's from 115 ltrs.

scotty83
25th April 2012, 12:00 AM
I beleive it was called something like 'diesel power'.. Purchased it from autobarn after a reccomendation from a mate
This is a picture of it...
http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/1277/350_10387.jpg

I use this too. Have found it great. miss it when i run without it..

teach
25th April 2012, 08:34 PM
I use this too. Have found it great. miss it when i run without it..

I use this every couple of fill ups.

Wine_maker
26th April 2012, 02:55 PM
What about adding additive to the fuel. Where I travel it can get down to -20C in the night and the diesel gets kind of frozen. Doest that damages the engine?

I use this http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/5130_200_100.jpg/$file/5130_200_100.jpg when was -27 and no problem exclude fuel filter frozen. (kettle of hot water always help me in this case).

Also I use this additives not bad too.
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/5160_200_100.jpg/$file/5160_200_100.jpg

45/70
1st May 2012, 11:37 AM
Here is a good read.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=55658

janderson
6th May 2012, 06:26 PM
I’ve used flashlube, found I use more fuel. Bottle says I should use less????

Coldcomfort
24th November 2012, 02:07 AM
Not sure if this topic is specifically mentioned here, but its a good reference site anyway.

http://www.carbibles.com/