PDA

View Full Version : GQ Interior Reno

chrisc2306
24th March 2014, 07:36 PM
Hey guys I've been steadily working away at redoing the interior of my 1990 Safari and thought I'd put up some pictures of what I've been doing so far. I started by taking the dash out (which was grey as was everything else inside) and sprayed it black. I then put it back in and replaced the steering wheel at the same time
I then decided to start rebuilding the doors as mine were in really rough shape I got some black vinyl and rebuilt the interiors with 2mm mdf, and used spray glue and put on foam that I got which is actually for under laminate flooring but it worked perfectly below the vinyl. I decided to go back in time when rebuilding the doors and actually stripped out the window motors and decided to go for hand cranked window winders and just have a basic handle inside it to make everything pretty simple
Got some pictures of the before and after on the rear doors as well
Not quite finished yet just waiting on the handles and the winders. I also covered the back panels in the black vinyl which i will upload some pictures at some point and stripped out the headliner to upholster. Today I tackled reupholstering the rear seat which was definitely a learning experience haha and considering I don't own a sewing machine or even have the skill to sew I decided to do it in one go without sewing which actually turned out quite well. I ran out of the vinyl after doing the base so I'm just waiting on more to arrive to finish the seat back.
still quite a bit to do yet but will keep you posted

Matty852
24th March 2014, 08:10 PM
Good start, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Parksy
24th March 2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks for sharing! Very impressed and has given me ideas. How did you do the seat without sewing?

chrisc2306
24th March 2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks for sharing! Very impressed and has given me ideas. How did you do the seat without sewing?
Thanks! It wasn't too difficult just have to pull it really tight and I just reused the clips that were holding the original covering together and then just had a small crease each corner as I dressed it round the only challenge is keeping the crease as tight and neat as possible and matching it up with the other side but I'm really happy with how it turned out

chrisc2306
25th March 2014, 05:48 PM
Some fabric arrived today to do the window surrounds so I managed to get 1 done before running out of glue so the passengers side is going to have to be tomorrow night

Bloodyaussie
25th March 2014, 06:34 PM
Well done mate.... I look at my interior all the time and want to re do it all !!!

May be some inspiration here to get my motivated???

chrisc2306
25th March 2014, 07:22 PM
Well done mate.... I look at my interior all the time and want to re do it all !!!

May be some inspiration here to get my motivated???

Thanks a lot! Its not been as difficult to do as I had anticipated to be honest only got a few more bits to do like replace the carpet, I'm going to try and move the handbrake forward and put in a defender cubby and then fit some bucket seats which I'm not looking forward to doing!

chrisc2306
26th March 2014, 05:48 PM
Other window surround done and bucket seats ordered looks like this weekend is going to be spent trying to make them fit into the truck!

chrisc2306
29th March 2014, 03:24 PM
the seats are in!! :trink13:
Now for the headliner...

chrisc2306
4th April 2014, 07:23 PM
Back seat is finished and the headliner is all done what a total nightmare of a job it was to do the headliner but it looks good for all the swearing that was sent its way haha I will get a photo of it over the weekend and put it up
the back of the seat getting resprayed from grey to black
seat finished and in place

Tanker
9th April 2014, 01:03 AM
hi! what firm steering wheel?

growler2058
9th April 2014, 01:45 AM

Looks like SAAS or MOMO

Sent from my iPhone using my thumb

Wine_maker
16th April 2014, 10:02 PM
Looks great mate!

chrisc2306
17th April 2014, 04:41 PM
It's a momo steering wheel. Thanks guys I decided to finish this thread in my members ride thread so I have a few more pictures up there if you are interested
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27269-Big-Red-Safari