PDA

View Full Version : lightforce genesis hid upgrade

Malgreen
23rd March 2014, 08:03 PM
Well today i decided to upgrade my standard Light-force Genesis spotties to a HID kit that i got off Ebay..
well first the instructions where on 1 sheet of paper and a bit vague ..
thats cool as i like to tinker with these things and work them out.
so i will put up a series of photos that go through the process of fitting the hardware

pic 1.. the kit with my light, 55w 5000L 12v, the old type of genesis light.

pic 2.the kit laid out

pic 3 undo the 4 key screws to release the front cover

pic 4 all laid out, dont touch the inside of the lens, bugger to clean

pic 5 undo these 2 screws and the globe holder will come out

pic 6 unplug the globe socket

pic 7 these 3 points need to be removed, the little "wing' on one side of the plastic screw mount can be shaved off, do this to both plastic screw mounts. dont break or remove said screw mount. also the little plastic tube in the middle and little plastic ledge thingy ( no idea what to call it ) must be removed. ( please note that this is what the instruction said, after first go i decided my own way was better.. )

pic 8 i made sure that the little tube and ledge was ground flush with the "floor" remember.. DONT CUT OFF THE 2 TALLER TUBES.. you need them to stay and one of my red arrows isnt in the right spot.. the one on the right should be pointing to the "wing" on the right side post

pic 9 ok ballast is placed on the bottom of the light housing ( the instruction said at the back but i couldnt fit it in ) and the AC controller on top of ballast. tuck in wiring and plug in power cable to the big red cable on the ballast.

pic 10 insert the HID globe in its holder in to the bracket and plug it in to the 2 separate red and black cables,, dont get them mixed up,, if you do i will be amazed,, hahah . then screw the globe retaining bracket down and tuck the wiring away..

pic 11 put the lens back in to place, you will find the the big red power cable will get in the way,, just play around with it until it fits,, screw back the lens covers and test.. just be-careful of the rubber seal, make sure its not kinked or broken,, this is what keeps the water out.. . i just sat mine down on the bull-bar and plugged it in.. worked a treat

pic 12 its working.. will go for a drive tonight and see if i can blind the local wildlife... hahah

well i hope this makes life easier to fit these things in, the first one took me almost 1 hour to do, the second on 20 mins, so its a quick job. the other 2 spotties will be done soon.. then maybe the head lights then maybe the............. ??

04OFF
23rd March 2014, 08:16 PM
Nice write up mate, thanks for the effort , great pics.

MEGOMONSTER
23rd March 2014, 08:38 PM
X 2, great write up. And looks great. Now the rest.

megatexture
23rd March 2014, 08:49 PM
We did this with a mates set also and it claimed it would be an internal ballast, pigs ass I'd lobe to see anyone get that ballast inside! Still worth the effort!

Malgreen
24th March 2014, 02:20 PM
We did this with a mates set also and it claimed it would be an internal ballast, pigs ass I'd lobe to see anyone get that ballast inside! Still worth the effort!

hey mega,, all inside the light housing,, once i worked out that the way the instructions wanted me to do it wouldnt work as the wiring is a pain in the ring hole,, hahah
and i didnt need to cut that plastic off the plastic mounting poles..
will be getting the brighter ones as i went for a drive last night ( just to check them of course..!! ) and i decided that i will change these ones to the spread beam lights and get higher power for spotties..
stay tuned as it wont be for 4 weeks till i do this, back to work this week so fun time comes to an end for a month...