PDA

View Full Version : Quality Bush Boots

FNQGU
21st March 2014, 10:59 PM
So, who has a recommendation for a great pair of bush boots? Yes, I know it is all about horses for courses etc., but some boots just stand head and shoulders above the rest as both quality and value for money.

About ten years ago I first bought a pair of Aussie made Taipan Boots and loved them. Wore them all over the place. On long bush walks, through creeks, up hills, through swamps etc. and basically flogged the be-jesus out of them and they kept on going. Although well worn out, I still have them now and mow the lawn in them all the time. Unfortunately they are apparently no longer around so I can't get another pair.

My subsequent pairs have been less than impressive, and I again want a quality pair of preferably Aussie made bush boots that can just do it all and come back for more.

Anyone???

MudRunnerTD
21st March 2014, 11:17 PM
Redbacks in a heart beat for me. Lace up. "Work boots" great boots

megatexture
22nd March 2014, 12:22 AM
What are you wanting? Leather, gore-tex? I've got a pair of Raichle mt.trails and highly rate them and I've done some big hikes in them.

Bob
22nd March 2014, 07:53 AM
redbacks in a heart beat for me. Lace up. "work boots" great boots

x 2........

FNQGU
22nd March 2014, 10:05 AM
What are you wanting? Leather, gore-tex? I've got a pair of Raichle mt.trails and highly rate them and I've done some big hikes in them.

Not really sure yet. The Taipan's were all leather, no goretex, but that doesn't exclude goretex. I understand it is a bit hotter to wear in the tropics though.

P4trol
22nd March 2014, 04:11 PM
If by bush, you mean bushwalking: Ones made specifically for hiking have stiff soles, which I find to be quite good. Instead of fixing yourself on a brand, consider buying the pair that fit your feet best. In some cases it could be more a sneaker type hiking shoe. I personally find RM Williams (which aren't a hiking shoe) pretty comfortable, enough to wear all day every day. They were however custom made (when I bought them in Adelaide, for $35 extra they would custom make the boot you were after. Measuring your foot is the first step.) So anything custom made should be 10x better than an off the shelf boot that your foot may or may not fit.

lhurley
22nd March 2014, 04:49 PM
Not so much a bush boot, but I wear Oliver lace up boots to work. Have worn them wheeling a few times after work and they hold up great. My last pair is still kicking after a few years of abuse at work, I wear them to mow now and hose them off every so often. I wear them all day, day in day out and my feet never hurt. Don't forget a good breathable pair of socks goes along way.

AB
22nd March 2014, 04:55 PM
Don't buy the dewalt boots that's all I have to say!

Great drills, crap boots!!!

FNQGU
22nd March 2014, 11:50 PM
If by bush, you mean bushwalking: Ones made specifically for hiking have stiff soles, which I find to be quite good.

Yep, mainly bushwalking, hunting, fishing, riding quads, etc. etc. Definitely a stiff soled pair of boots. I tried some Salomon boots but they were far too soft in the sole and although great around camp or driving, they were a killer on the feet after a day walking the rocky banks of a river fishing.

Got a mate wearing Danner boots, and another who swears by Altama boots after doing military time, so might look closely at both of those, and go and find some Redbacks as well. My work boots were also the Oliver boots for a long time, and yes, they certainly did last, but I don't know if they do anything other than safety boots.

Will see how i go. Thanks all.

oncedisturbed
23rd March 2014, 01:07 AM
Danner, Hitech, SWAT, 5.11 tactical all make great boots.

Personally I usually wear either the hitechs or swat boots

threedogs
23rd March 2014, 07:39 AM
Pit Bull do a lace/zip up boot, youll need that for ankle support

macca86
23rd March 2014, 08:12 AM
After 4 years of use and abuse my us airforce converse boots finally broke down. Great comfy high ankle boot lace up water resistant not too hot had quick release zip and a hard plastic "steel" cap style toe
http://www.gearzonetactical.com/Converse-Sage-Green-Side-Zip-Boot--Composite-Toe_p_1137.html

BigRAWesty
23rd March 2014, 09:45 AM
I like the good old steel blues..
I have quite a wide long foot so this style suits me.
Get good k's outta them aswell

FNQGU
23rd March 2014, 10:23 AM
After 4 years of use and abuse my us airforce converse boots finally broke down. Great comfy high ankle boot lace up water resistant not too hot had quick release zip and a hard plastic "steel" cap style toe
http://www.gearzonetactical.com/Converse-Sage-Green-Side-Zip-Boot--Composite-Toe_p_1137.html

Yeah, I've had two pair of them at work for the last 4 years as well. The 6 inch mid-cut versions, and very comfortable boots but the tread pattern really is for sand and I found that they clog up very rapidly in the mud, and they hold the mud as well.

Winnie
23rd March 2014, 10:23 AM
I love my Mongrel boots...

threedogs
23rd March 2014, 10:26 AM
that was them Mongrels no Pitbulls, around $160 a pair

Winnie
23rd March 2014, 10:28 AM
I've got the lace/zip up boots for work and just the normal pull on one's for home

threedogs
23rd March 2014, 11:38 AM
mate swears by the lace/zip work boots by Mongrels, nice and light to

BigRAWesty
23rd March 2014, 12:33 PM
A brand new set of explorer's make the worst boot a dream fit..

ova50
23rd March 2014, 01:19 PM
I have the Mongrels, steel capped black suede ones.
Have had them almost 4 years, and wear them most days.
I found them to be very comfortable.
I think they are made by Victor.
:cheers:

Winnie
23rd March 2014, 01:31 PM
I've had my old mongrels for over 5 years now and the elastic is rooted and the rubber is melted from me falling asleep in front of the fire but I just could not replace them.

tonym9643
25th April 2014, 10:21 PM
BUSH BOOTS.

Sorry guys but im gonna blow you out of the water. Ive been hunting constantly throughout Australia and the boots I swear by are not made in Australia.
You want the best buy the best. Rocky Safari Boots or outback . They are HAND made in USA leather boots ( AND , AND extremely light ) not chinese crap.
check them out on their website or CABELAS. Seriously . the idiots in Australia ( mostly camping stores ) sell you Bloody mountain climbing boots. good if your climbing Everest.
not good for aussie outback. but ask them if they sell an aussie outback boot ! most will come back with an. oh we don't have anything .......need I say more

SundownerCamper
26th April 2014, 12:58 AM
Bisley work boots ankle high or Redbacks for pull on's I use both every day on the farm and I have a size 16UK EEE foot SUCH a good boot both of them. Bisley are lace ups.

outback
26th April 2014, 01:56 AM
AT present I use these:
Steel Blue - Tindal (https://www.steelblue.com.au/our-range/industrial-construction/tindal/)

Light weight even though they look heavy.

outback
26th April 2014, 02:01 AM
BUSH BOOTS.

Rocky Safari Boots or outback .

Got a link to these specific boots?
Just being lazy here..

FNQGU
26th April 2014, 08:34 AM
Speaking of American hand mades - was just looking at the Danner boots, 'Crater Rim' model. Look great, just not sure i want Goretex in the tropics.

growler2058
26th April 2014, 08:55 AM
Speaking of American hand mades - was just looking at the Danner boots, 'Crater Rim' model. Look great, just not sure i want Goretex in the tropics.

I was under the impression Goretex was ideal for tropical use

FNQGU
26th April 2014, 03:43 PM
I reckon it is too hot. In the cold and wet it is the ducks guts. In the tropics I'm not convinced.

Irish
27th April 2014, 09:16 AM
A lot of people bag em, but I've had a lot of joy with Hi-Tec hiking boots, have had my current set for about seven years and have travelled, hiked, hunted, you name it in them and they are still going strong.