PDA

View Full Version : Marine Ply ok for Rear Drawers.

Mark
28th June 2010, 01:28 PM
Just before I get the materials for the misses wagon, did you guys just use marine ply and carpet for your rear drawers?

I'm 99% sure thats the go, just want to double check before i measure up and order.

Thanks.

patch697
28th June 2010, 02:35 PM
I've not built any for mine yet but given what we expose our Rigs to it would be a logical choice if you only intend on doing the job once. IMO

Cheers
Paul

Maxhead
28th June 2010, 03:07 PM
I agree, If you want to do the job once then go with the marine ply !!!

patch697
28th June 2010, 08:29 PM
Marine ply's pretty expensive though. Lots of people have had success with using lower grade ply. Personally I used high-density particleboard and the drawers are as solid as a rock, but a bit heavy.

If I was building out of ply I'd use lower grade ply but ensure it's screwed and glued really well. It wouldn't be a problem, especially when lined with carpet.

Just out of interest, what's the price difference between marine grade and standard interior grade?

Lots but its more dense & its water proof, thats the advantage.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
28th June 2010, 09:32 PM
Hmm, hopefully it doesn't need to be water proof! Personally I'd save myself some money and buy the interior grade but I suppose this decision is really personal choice.

For sure I totally agree with you it is personal choice all the way.

simshazz
28th July 2010, 04:27 PM
I used 12mm bacing ply from bunnings, it is waterproof aswell, You just need to pick your sheets as some can be quite rough.

tariadamar
28th October 2010, 05:41 PM
for my draws i have used cb grade ply which at bunnings is like 100 bucks for a 19mm 1200 x 2400 sheet. this ply is construction grade which means that only one side is nice. however it is designed to get rained on and stuff so tghe glu is good. mine has been completly submerged once and wet a fe wmore times on top of thast and is fine. as for draw runners just go to like your local bolt and bearings and stuff place and they can usually order tham in.

mickldo
22nd November 2010, 10:10 PM
+1 for the CD ply. The marine ply is too expensive and it really is overkill for a set of drawers. A mate of mine builds timber boats and even on plywood boats he uses CD ply instead of marine ply. He just paints them in epoxy to seal them. On a set of drawers they will be fine.

Finly Owner
23rd November 2010, 01:33 AM
My drawer are ply wood and pine. Were made and fitted by previous owner. I may pull them out and dress them with oil before serious water courseing. I do agree with using bracing ply as it is made from same stuff as marine ply but is not dressed well as it usually gets hidden in buildings. And if you are covering with carpet who is going to see rough timber? Make sure smoother side is used for inside as to allow smooth running of draws.

Tim

PS go to 2nd hand timber shops and price ply there.

Russell1974
23rd November 2010, 10:59 PM
First of all hows it going? what did you go for?

Russell1974
23rd November 2010, 11:02 PM
I have built 4 sets of drawers for mates all I used was 12mm mdf board cheap as chips to buy most places have these as cover sheets they are now 3 years old and are still as strong as the day I made them

ilikedonuts_10
10th December 2010, 07:49 PM
Hi I was looking at building a set of drawers for my GQ to fit in a fridge as well, what material have you used for the fridge slide? is marine ply strong enough or have you had to reinforce it with metal?

ilikedonuts_10
10th December 2010, 07:50 PM
Also what specifications have you built it to?

bsax
4th January 2011, 02:46 PM
yeah marine ply is a little overkill if it's going inside the car.
just get the lower grade stuff and coat it with something to water proof it.
another way for the draws to slide easy is rubbing wax on the surfaces that the draws will come into contact with.
in this case it shouldn't matter how rough the timber you use is it just means you'll need to put on a little more wax.

as for ilikedonuts_10:
it depends on some factors as in, how thick you want the ply to be and how heavy the fridge is, and also how far out do you intend for the fridge to be able to slide out.
i have seen actual sliders that you can buy intended for car fridges.
or you can just make your own.
what you need to worry about is just the bending moment (rotational force) that's acting on the ply at the edge of where the drawer hangs out.
reinforcements are always helpful though but you may not need it when the ply is 19mm thick and you only want it to just slide out such that you can reach it with ease.

MudRunnerTD
4th January 2011, 05:41 PM
Hey guys,

I am a cabinet Maker in a previous life and have made a couple of decent sets of drawers for the back of the 4B and 19mm Marine Ply would be fine if you were BUILDING A BOAT! or wanted to park your 4B on whatever you built!

The stuff is Really heavy and very very over kill for what we want. With regards to i t being water proof? it is going INSIDE the car! Give it a coat of paint when your finished and they will be fine.

I have used both ply and MDF and both work fine.

For strength i have used 12mm for the body of each the drawers to save a bit of weight and the base plate and 15mm board for the bottom of each drawer and the top lid of the whole unit.

15mm drawer bottoms gives you something to screw into as you should be fitting the drawer bottoms inside the drawer sides rather than just screwing them to the bottom of the drawers.

I lined them with carpet from Bunnings and painted the outside of each drawer black and they look great when open and closed.

I carry 30kg+ in each drawer regularly and over tough ground with No Problems ever.

As someone said earlier, Glue and Screw everything and they will NEVER let you down.

AB
4th January 2011, 08:02 PM
Good advice MR, cheers!

big_fletch
18th January 2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for that MR, answered a lot of my questions Haha.. I will hopefully start a set of drawers soon, hope to have them done before vic meetup

big_fletch
18th January 2011, 07:54 PM
Looking forward to seeing them Fletch. I love home made stuff.

ill make sure i do a good job then for you plassy haha

szaf
13th February 2011, 09:16 PM
Hi When I purchased ply for repairs to my boat the marine ply was for the transom and for the floor I used a ply that was a lower grade of marine ply Marine ply has no voids and the lower grade does - even for your project the lower grade will be more than ample - I would stay away from MDF and weetbix boards no matter how well they are sealed unless you use fiberglass. Just my 2 cents worth.

Finly Owner
13th February 2011, 09:51 PM
I say again cover sheets off ply wood packs at Bunnings, cheapest best buy.

voodoorick
11th March 2012, 01:15 AM
thanks for the tips everyone. off to bunnings i go the shorty needs some storage.......once i clear it with the Minister of finances

BEP120
29th March 2012, 01:24 PM
I used marine ply 12mm on mine. pre-drilled all screw holes and the glued, screwed and covered in automotive carpet.
I used marine ply in case any moisture got into the draws like something spilled while bouncing around off-road.
They are very strong and with the draws all the way out will support themselves.