PDA

View Full Version : What size Solar Panel ???

Bob
20th March 2014, 12:46 PM
My present configuration in our Caravan is as follows :-
110 AH Deep Cycle Battery in Van
Redarc BCDC1220-IGN DC to DC Battery Charger in Van
Anderson Plug connection from Battery in the Patrol to the Van to Charge Caravan Battery whilst travelling.

Running from Battery in Van:-
LED Lighting
12V Computer Fan which improves Air Flow over the Caravan Fridge Condensor.(only runs on Hot Days)
Shower Pump (Maybe once a Day for 10 Minutes)

We intend to Purchase a Camping Fridge/Freezer (Compressor type) 50 Litre

My question is what size Solar Panel would be appropriate to charge the Caravan Battery whilst Camping.

the evil twin
20th March 2014, 01:06 PM
Minimum 120 Watts (twin 60 is easiest to store) with a quality MPPT regulator.
Mount the reg close to the battery not on the Solar panel like some do.

The Redarc you have has an input specification that will handle Solar Panel output voltages but don't, IMHO a dedicated MPPT regulator is a better option

Bob
20th March 2014, 01:49 PM
What do you think ET ?? or anybody else

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-120W-Folding-Kit-Solar-Panels-Monocrystalline-Module-12V-Camping-Caravan-/221371443982

Sir Roofy
20th March 2014, 02:32 PM
Jump on it bob thats a good price

threedogs
20th March 2014, 02:33 PM
are you fitting it permanently on the roof ??
In perfect conditions your putting back 6.7amps
yeah not bad

Bob
20th March 2014, 03:16 PM
No not fitted permanently.
In view of ET's comments I should possibly purchase one with a MPPT Regulator. (He is the Guru)
Have emailed REDARC for their opinion also.

threedogs
20th March 2014, 03:21 PM
no big deal to chase to sun, by re positioning it.
should be a spot on set up with out side led lights.
Are the lights in the van LED? if not cheap enough to change

Bob
20th March 2014, 03:25 PM
All lighting is LED both inside and outside

threedogs
20th March 2014, 03:29 PM
you'll love solar the more you get into it,

Bob
20th March 2014, 03:31 PM
A bit off subject but are in the process of getting quotes for Solar Panels in the House

Sir Roofy
20th March 2014, 03:37 PM
a bit off subject but are in the process of getting quotes for solar panels in the house

thats a good move while your tripping away youl knock up heaps of credit
my last bill said i was $ 135 in credit but got to remember that it will balance out come winter

FNQGU
20th March 2014, 06:27 PM
Minimum 120 Watts (twin 60 is easiest to store) with a quality MPPT regulator.
Mount the reg close to the battery not on the Solar panel like some do.

The Redarc you have has an input specification that will handle Solar Panel output voltages but don't, IMHO a dedicated MPPT regulator is a better option

As you say ET, but I thought the BCDC1220 did NOT take solar input anyway. The BCDC25 and 40 do, but I thought the 20 didn't have that capability anyway.

Agree with you though, that if there is already a DC- DC charger installed, then simply add solar input via a decent MPPT controller.

Personally, I would try to pack in twin 80W folding panels if there is room as well. 160W would be nice.

AB
20th March 2014, 07:38 PM
Small hijack...Bob, please do write up on your home solar once chosen...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Bob
20th March 2014, 08:10 PM
Still a little confused (That's normal)
Would the Panel and MPPT work connected direct to Battery or would I connect through the BCDC1220

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120W-FOLDING-SOLAR-PANEL-MONOCRYSTALLINE-COMPLETE-SET-/360466559807

Also my Battery in the Van is Calcium.

Help

FNQGU
20th March 2014, 08:22 PM
My understanding is as ET said - put the MPPT controller right near the van battery, and then connect the solar panels to the controller.

This is separate to the BCDC charger, but they can both be connected at the same time with no issues.

My portable panels are wired up with 10m of 8B&S cable to prevent voltage drop. My system is a little different though as I use a Redarc BMS1215, which does accept solar and has an inbuilt MPPT controller.

the evil twin
20th March 2014, 08:55 PM
snip...
As you say ET, but I thought the BCDC1220 did NOT take solar input anyway.

Sorry, I'm on some really awesome drugs at the moment :bananarock:
I had a short hospital stay and got "Morphed" for the first time ever in my life... Damn that shit is good and the gear now isn't to shabby either

Anyhoooooow, What I was trying to say is "people see the wide input voltages for the 1220 and hook unregulated solar panels up to them... don't do it"

You are on the money either use a seperate MPPT reg or invest in the 1225 1240 or equivalent from other manuf

FNQGU
20th March 2014, 09:26 PM
Bob, I would personally go the 160W folding system if you have the room for it, but the 120W would be fine too. Worst case - all you have to do is turn your engine on for half an hour or an hour or so. Both cases are way better than carrying a genset and a drum of unleaded...

Bob
21st March 2014, 10:47 AM
I am thinking of purchasing the following Charge Regulator to be coupled with a 160W folding system.

http://www.satplus.com.au/products/SolarKing-20AMP-LCD-Charge-Regulator-For-Solar-Panels.html

Your comments if any

lucus30
21st March 2014, 01:09 PM
It's not a mppt regulator. Thought that's what you wanted ?

Bob
21st March 2014, 02:03 PM
I need to charge Calcium Batteries and that is the only regulator that I found that does it

FNQGU
21st March 2014, 08:01 PM
Bob, again, I am no expert but I know that Morningstar, Bluesky and Victron are makers who are at the top of the pile in general when it comes to controllers/regulators. I don't know of SolarKing, but that doesn't mean much either. Most of these should handle the calcium batteries, but without looking at the exact specs of each, I can't advise you for sure.

Some MPPT Controller makers will claim up to a 30% efficiency over a PWM type controller, but you may also want to weigh up the cost v benefit of that increase, and not assume that you will actually get a 30% efficiency anyway, more likely a 10-15% efficiency benefit. Another factor is that a 160W panel setup might easily cover that loss, and still manage your batteries well with that PWM controller, whereas with a smaller panel setup the MPPT might be more critical, if that makes sense.

Cuppa or ET are probably better advising you here.

Bob
13th April 2014, 10:42 AM
I finally have set up my Power for the Van and Camping. It is as follows:-

Caravan
100 AH Deep Cycle (Calcium) Battery
Redarc BCDC1220-IGN DC to DC Charger
Run through Anderson Plug from Patrol which Charges Caravan Battery whilst travelling
[Useage- LED Strip Lighting in Caravan and Caravan Fridge (12Volt) whilst travelling only. Campsite LED Floodlight]

FRIDGE/FREEZER
110 AH Deep Cycle (Calcium) Battery
Redarc SRP0240 40A Solar Regulator
140 Watt Solar Panel (Not fixed to enable follow of Sun)
53 Litre Fridge/Freezer

The Solar Regulator has the facility to charge two Batteries so I can also top up the Caravan Battery from Solar

I started up the Fridge/Freezer and set to -19 Degrees and after an hour of the Fridge Compressor running continuously I then connected the Solar Panel and Regulator.
The Regulator indicated that the Battery was full charged after 45 minutes whilst still running the Fridge Compressor continuously .
The Fridge/Freezer reached -18 Degrees after two hours with a fully charged Battery.

If there is a cloudy day I can connect the Fridge/Freezer to the Caravan Battery

threedogs
13th April 2014, 11:40 AM
sounds good solar wont work when raining and at a such an such % when cloudy.
even cloudy you'll be getting something at least.
Not a fan of mounting panels on roof tops , I'd rather chase the sun a bit more efficient

Cuppa
18th April 2014, 01:25 AM
I reckon you’ve got a reasonable system there Bob. Depending upon the power usage of your fridge & the weather you may want to consider a bit more solar down the track, but may find what you have is enough. The solar reg you have chosen has plenty of capacity for adding more solar (although it is a 20amp, not 40 amp unit). I reckon, given the choice, that roof mounting beats portables hands down, much less hassle, even though you might only get 70% of rated output. In good solar weather I’d say you can expect around 8 amps when your battery is down, probably a bit more whilst the panel is new.
Regarding MPPT regulators ..... they are the current flavour (pun intended), & whilst a good MPPT regulator can manage to drag a bit more into batteries in certain circumstances the claims of an extra 30% isn’t anything like what the vast majority of users are ever likely to see. In addition to that there are plenty of cheap MPPT regulators out there where the only MPPT thing about them are the letters printed on the case. I continue to believe that a half decent PWM regulator will be far better than a cheap MPPT regulator.

Bob, if you haven’t already done so, I strongly advise you to buy the optional temperature sensor which is available for your regulator. It will make a big difference to the lifespan of your battery. It’s a pretty cheap investment at only 10 bucks!
http://www.redarc.com.au/products/product/regulator-temperature-probe/

Cuppa

Bob
18th April 2014, 07:50 AM
I reckon you’ve got a reasonable system there Bob. Depending upon the power usage of your fridge & the weather you may want to consider a bit more solar down the track, but may find what you have is enough. The solar reg you have chosen has plenty of capacity for adding more solar (although it is a 20amp, not 40 amp unit). I reckon, given the choice, that roof mounting beats portables hands down, much less hassle, even though you might only get 70% of rated output. In good solar weather I’d say you can expect around 8 amps when your battery is down, probably a bit more whilst the panel is new.
Regarding MPPT regulators ..... they are the current flavour (pun intended), & whilst a good MPPT regulator can manage to drag a bit more into batteries in certain circumstances the claims of an extra 30% isn’t anything like what the vast majority of users are ever likely to see. In addition to that there are plenty of cheap MPPT regulators out there where the only MPPT thing about them are the letters printed on the case. I continue to believe that a half decent PWM regulator will be far better than a cheap MPPT regulator.

Bob, if you haven’t already done so, I strongly advise you to buy the optional temperature sensor which is available for your regulator. It will make a big difference to the lifespan of your battery. It’s a pretty cheap investment at only 10 bucks!
http://www.redarc.com.au/products/product/regulator-temperature-probe/

Cuppa

Thanks for that Cuppa and yes I have a temp probe on the way

Sir Roofy
18th April 2014, 10:21 AM
Bob mate your right on top of it now that was a good read

cuppa that was a good read as usual thanks to both