PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Oil Seals

RustyNails
5th February 2011, 01:29 AM
Now both rear seals are leaking so I need to get off my RS and fix them. I have a 98 GU Wagon and I have been told that they are "dead easy just take off the wheel and the disc assy(caliper)undo the nuts that hold the axel in you can see them when you look behind the wheel then pull out axel the seal sits inside the diff at the end then just pry out old one and put in new one
same as an old holden and such, the bearings will stay on the axel"
As I haven't gotten under the old girl to have a look yet I am assuming from the description that no special tools will be required.

Has anyone done them themselves, is it as easy as it sounds and are there any tricks that people would like to share

YNOT
5th February 2011, 07:54 AM
The job is as you have described.
When you remove the brake callipers sit them up on top of the axle housing, don't let them hang down on the hoses.
You will need a hook type seal puller to get the old seal out. I find the best way to get the new seal in is to use a socket the same diameter with a 6" extension and tap it in with a hammer.
Clean the axle and try to hold the axle in the centre of the seal when you reinstall the axle,ie don't just let the axle slide in on the bottom of the seal.

Tony

ishie
14th May 2011, 05:59 PM
Now both rear seals are leaking so I need to get off my RS and fix them. I have a 98 GU Wagon and I have been told that they are "dead easy just take off the wheel and the disc assy(caliper)undo the nuts that hold the axles & accessories (http://www.jcwhitney.com/axles-and-accessories/c51223j1s17.jcwx) in you can see them when you look behind the wheel then pull out axel the seal sits inside the diff at the end then just pry out old one and put in new one
same as an old holden and such, the bearings will stay on the axel"
As I haven't gotten under the old girl to have a look yet I am assuming from the description that no special tools will be required.

Has anyone done them themselves, is it as easy as it sounds and are there any tricks that people would like to share

encountering the same problem. actually i encounter it now, i dont know what to do specially im new having this problem. i dont know if i go to my mechanic or i done it by myself.

YNOT
14th May 2011, 06:56 PM
encountering the same problem. actually i encounter it now, i dont know what to do specially im new having this problem. i dont know if i go to my mechanic or i done it by myself.

While it's not a difficult job you do need some mechanical competency. Do you know anyone who is more knowledgable with cars who could assist you? If not then it would be best to leave it to a mechanic.

Tony