PDA

View Full Version : New MUDMAP High Country App

MudMap
15th March 2014, 08:03 AM
Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know about the new MUDMAP High Country (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/high-country-4wd-maps-mud/id824311434?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2") App.

- extreme detail 1:25K 4WD maps
- locked gates, petrol stations, TOPO info
- 5,000 Aus wide campsites with photos, reviews and ratings
- GPS tracking and recording
- custom routing and sharing
- drop pins to mark fave spots

Great value: $49.99 on the App store (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/high-country-4wd-maps-mud/id824311434?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2)

If you have any questions about this please ask me here.

Warm Wishes,

Maria from Mud Map

NissanGQ4.2
15th March 2014, 08:36 AM
Was about 2 ask if you were planning on doing an off-road map for the Blue Mountains than realized it wouldn't be much of a map

MudRunnerTD
15th March 2014, 09:27 AM
Wow 1:25k and a reasonable price too. What scale is your other major App Maria? Is this just a snippet of the bigger app or complimentary of it?

Can you maybe also post an image here to show how much of "the High Country" it covers? Where are the boundaries?

This is something I very well may buy for my iPad for sure. I am using Hema now but the scale is much larger. I can buy the Hema addon 1:25k of the whole of Australia for another $150.....

Winnie
15th March 2014, 09:37 AM
Are these the same maps that come with Mud Map 2?

Drewboyaus
15th March 2014, 11:07 AM
Is it the same map that was recently included in an update if MudMap HD?

MudMap
15th March 2014, 11:34 AM
Are these the same maps that come with Mud Map 2?

Hey Winnie,

2 sets of maps are included that are available on both MM2 and MM High Country:
- THEMAP: Australia wide interactive map with free monthly map updates and +5,000 campsites (on both apps)
- MUDMAP High Country maps: 1:50K high detail, locked gates, POIs, contour lines etc. (on both apps)

1 set is only included in the High Country app:
- VICMAP (1:25K scale with TOPO info)

MudMap
15th March 2014, 11:36 AM
Is it the same map that was recently included in an update if MudMap HD?

Please see response above regarding map inclusions.

Cheers

Drewboyaus
15th March 2014, 11:39 AM
Sorry but I'm confused by the above response......

Winnie
15th March 2014, 11:41 AM

Mud Map comes with 2 sets of maps. Their Australia wide map and a set of high country maps in 50k
This new high country app just has a set of 25k high country maps.

Drewboyaus
15th March 2014, 11:56 AM
Hey Winnie,

2 sets of maps are included that are available on both MM2 and MM High Country:

1 set is only included in the High Country app:

Thanks Winnie, what is the difference between the High Country App and MM High Country?
That's what I'm confused about......

Bloodyaussie
15th March 2014, 12:09 PM
Yes I would like to know... I am in the market for a good map software but dont want to waste my money???

If I was to buy this new High country app what do I actually get?? how does it work with other MM apps??

MudRunnerTD
15th March 2014, 12:16 PM

Mud Map comes with 2 sets of maps. Their Australia wide map and a set of high country maps in 50k
This new high country app just has a set of 25k high country maps.

Still confused here??

So the MM2 has the a high Country in 1:50k scale at best? So this new App would operate concurrently with the MM2 if you already have that? Or solely if you don't? So anyone with MM2 would still buy this as an Addon? Or their ongoing updates sees the MM2 App incorporate 1:25k maps of the area?

Is this just an abridged version of MM2 just for the Highcountry?

Drewboyaus
15th March 2014, 12:35 PM
It looks like the key inclusion is the 25K maps.
I already have the VicMap 25K maps in my Hema app. It does look like there is a little more detail in these regarding campsites and POI. I still prefer the info in my scanned Rooftops Maps for the high country and use the VicMap info a a cross reference if I need to.
My biggest reservation with all these new, fragmented mapping offerings from Hema and MudMap is that in many cases they are incompatible with maps I already have. In may cases, maps I have already purchased from those very same organisations.

Winnie
15th March 2014, 12:37 PM
I already have the VicMap 25K maps in my Hema app. It does look like there is a little more detail in these regarding campsites and POI. I still prefer the info in my scanned Rooftops Maps for the high country and use the VicMap info a a cross reference if I need to.
My biggest reservation with all these new, fragmented mapping offerings from Hema and MudMap is that in many cases they are incompatible with maps I already have. In may cases, maps I have already purchased from those very same organisations.

Yep those rooftops are golden! I've got a couple to scan in.

MudMap
15th March 2014, 01:13 PM
Hi just to clarify:

The difference between Mud Map 2 and Mud Map High Country is that Mud Map 2 includes a very large range of maps Australia wide. These include Back Country Maps, Westprint Maps, THEMAP and all MUDMAP maps.

The Mud Map High Country App has one Australia wide map (THE MAP) plus 2 sets of High country maps 1) MUDMAP High Country Maps (1:50K) and 2) VICMAP Highcountry Maps (1:25K).

So the High Country App has more specific maps to the High Country whereas Mud Map 2 has more maps with Australia wide coverage. I hope this makes sense.

MM High Country (is just short for Mud Map High Country and refers to the High Country App)

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions :)

MudMap
15th March 2014, 01:17 PM

All our maps are compatible with all of our apps. So once you have purchased maps you can use them on any MUDMAP app. This is because we store your map purchases on a personal account which allows you to port any maps on the app of your choice. Mud Map is also compatible with rooftop.

MudMap
15th March 2014, 01:24 PM
Yes I would like to know... I am in the market for a good map software but dont want to waste my money???

If I was to buy this new High country app what do I actually get?? how does it work with other MM apps??

Hi,

With this app you get the following:

1) THEMAP: Australia wide interactive map with free monthly updates and +5,000 campsites
2) MUDMAP High Country Maps (1:50k)
3) VICMAP High Country Maps (1:25K)
4) All GPS features of Mud Map 2.

This app is mainly designed for people that do not currently have Mud Map 2, and are looking specifically to travel the High Country Region.Which current Mud Map App do you have?

Bloodyaussie
15th March 2014, 01:37 PM
Hi,

With this app you get the following:

1) THEMAP: Australia wide interactive map with free monthly updates and +5,000 campsites
2) MUDMAP High Country Maps (1:50k)
3) VICMAP High Country Maps (1:25K)
4) All GPS features of Mud Map 2.

This app is mainly designed for people that do not currently have Mud Map 2, and are looking specifically to travel the High Country Region.Which current Mud Map App do you have?

I do not have any mudmap or any other map software but am in the market.... why would I buy MM2 $99 when I can buy the new High country map for $49

Winnie
15th March 2014, 01:39 PM
Looks like a good buy Johnny. The Aus wide app is pretty good, I was using it in the Brindies.

Drewboyaus
15th March 2014, 01:45 PM
I do not have any mudmap or any other map software but am in the market.... why would I buy MM2 $99 when I can buy the new High country map for $49

If you drove primarily in the high country you probably wouldn't spend the extra. It does depend on their definition of high country though and if it lines up with where you do most of your driving.

Drewboyaus
15th March 2014, 01:46 PM
Looks like a good buy Johnny. The Aus wide app is pretty good, I was using it in the Brindies.

What maps do you get with it mate?
Have you tried importing your Rooftops scans?

Winnie
15th March 2014, 01:51 PM
What maps do you get with it mate?
Have you tried importing your Rooftops scans?

I have tried and it did not work. I have not really tried very hard though.

MudMap
15th March 2014, 02:02 PM
Still confused here??

So the MM2 has the a high Country in 1:50k scale at best? So this new App would operate concurrently with the MM2 if you already have that? Or solely if you don't? So anyone with MM2 would still buy this as an Addon? Or their ongoing updates sees the MM2 App incorporate 1:25k maps of the area?

Is this just an abridged version of MM2 just for the Highcountry?

This app is designed for people that DO NOT have Mud Map 2 and would like an app solely focused on High Country. This is great for 4WDers that mainly do most of their driving around Vic High Country and want very detailed 4WD maps of the region without paying for Australia wide maps.

Bloodyaussie
15th March 2014, 02:03 PM
So the High country app still has other maps but not as clear?? can I get more maps of other regions later??? if I mix milo and nesquick what will it taste like??

MudMap
15th March 2014, 02:08 PM

This depends on where you do your 4WDing. If you like exploring the whole of Australia I would recommend Mud Map 2 as it has more Australia wide maps. But if you do all your driving in the High Country it makes more sense to buy the High Country App. It's awesome value and gives you everything you need to explore High Country in excellent detail and on multiple map platforms.

Hope this helps,

Give me a shout if you have any more questions.

Bloodyaussie
15th March 2014, 02:12 PM
Well no I dont 4wd all over Australia I 4wd in Victoria with my locations ranging from the Otways to Tallarook and Cobaw and then the High Country??

Winnie
15th March 2014, 02:14 PM
Well no I dont 4wd all over Australia I 4wd in Victoria with my locations ranging from the Otways to Tallarook and Cobaw and then the High Country??

With this high country app you will have detailed maps of the high country, but then Tallarook and the Otway etc you will have less detailed maps.

Bloodyaussie
15th March 2014, 02:19 PM
With this high country app you will have detailed maps of the high country, but then Tallarook and the Otway etc you will have less detailed maps.

Thanks sweetness and what about the Nesquick??

MudMap
15th March 2014, 02:23 PM
Hey guys,

Below is a preview of the MUDMAP High Country Maps. As you can see they have been split into 4 regions North East, North West, South East and South West. Use the menu on the left to choose the different regions. All these maps are included in the App.

VIEW MAPS HERE (http://www.mud-maps.com/map-store/mud-map-high-country-4wd-maps/bundle-245/preview/)

And below is the coverage of the VICMAP maps also included in the app (again you can use the menu on the left to choose different regions):

VICMAPS (http://www.mud-maps.com/map-store/vicmap-high-country-topographic-maps/bundle-101/preview/)

As well as these two map sets you also get THEMAP, an Aussie wide interactive map which has over 5,000 campsites and interactive zoom (zooms right in to 4WD track level).

Cheers.

mudski
15th March 2014, 10:51 PM

Can we then buy the more detailed maps to add on. This is looking like an o.k buy at the moment. Pending answers I might just take the plunge and have a cup of milo.

MudMap
15th March 2014, 11:22 PM
Can we then buy the more detailed maps to add on. This is looking like an o.k buy at the moment. Pending answers I might just take the plunge and have a cup of milo.

Hey Mudski,

Yes you can buy any additional maps you want via our online map store (http://www.mud-maps.com/map-store/australia#offset=0) store them you your personal MUDMAP account and download them via your device to use offline. Enjoy your Milo :)

Drewboyaus
16th March 2014, 07:48 PM
So what is involved with importing a map into MudMap2?
As an example one of my MemoryMap compatible Rooftops maps (.qct file).......

Drewboyaus
17th March 2014, 08:28 PM
Bumpity bump @MudMap

Drewboyaus
18th March 2014, 05:05 PM
Is there no answer because the answer is that it cant be done?
I'm pretty sure I will not be able to use any of the maps I have from the Hema/MemoryMap App with MudMap2.
@MudMap care to clarify this???????

liftlid
18th March 2014, 05:40 PM
They said mud map was compatible with rooftop, may be it's if you have an original copy not a scanned paper map then calibrate it.

MudRunnerTD
18th March 2014, 07:10 PM
Hey Drew the @ sign will only work if Maria is logged on to here using Motorculture. Not sure if she is? Better to quote her and we will get an email maybe?

Drewboyaus
18th March 2014, 07:19 PM
Hey Drew the @ sign will only work if Maria is logged on to here using Motorculture. Not sure if she is? Better to quote her and we will get an email maybe?

Ah, ok thanks Daz.

Drewboyaus
18th March 2014, 07:25 PM
All our maps are compatible with all of our apps. So once you have purchased maps you can use them on any MUDMAP app. This is because we store your map purchases on a personal account which allows you to port any maps on the app of your choice. Mud Map is also compatible with rooftop.

So as per my previous question, will MudMaps2 import the .qct files (VicMap topo and Rooftops) from the MemoryMap/Hema App that I am currently using? This is the format all my maps are in. If I am going to change I am not keen on forking out another $150 on top of the App to re-purchase maps I already have.....

Winnie
18th March 2014, 07:34 PM
Drew they do not directly transfer over. I have tried. They have a converter you can download but it didn't seem to accept the QCT file type. I'll give it a better go tonight.

mudski
28th March 2014, 09:29 PM
Hey Mudski,

Yes you can buy any additional maps you want via our online map store (http://www.mud-maps.com/map-store/australia#offset=0) store them you your personal MUDMAP account and download them via your device to use offline. Enjoy your Milo :)
Still confused. Not hard...
MudMap 2 I will get. But. I go on their website and I can't see anything Android. The MM2 page keeps directing me to the crapp store. Am I looking in the wrong place? Plus what else do I need? Detailed Vic High Country and, well pretty much detailed Vic and Maybe NSW later...

liftlid
1st April 2014, 06:07 PM
I know this might be a bit off topic but hema posted on fbook today that you can purchase their app for $99 then get other memory maps from the account you would set up at memory map.
So I would assume both memory maps and hema,s app are similar. And use the same maps that only can come from memory map. Can you purchase rooftop maps from memory map?

oncedisturbed
1st April 2014, 06:34 PM
Memory map and HEMA both use an almost identical UI in their apps, only bonus with memory map is the pc ability, basically an updated and more user friendly version of Ozi

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

liftlid
1st April 2014, 06:48 PM
Memory map and HEMA both use an almost identical UI in their apps, only bonus with memory map is the pc ability, basically an updated and more user friendly version of Ozi

Do you know the answers to my other questions?

oncedisturbed
1st April 2014, 07:15 PM
Missed them, will go back through the thread and answer what i can

oncedisturbed
1st April 2014, 07:17 PM
Still confused. Not hard...
MudMap 2 I will get. But. I go on their website and I can't see anything Android. The MM2 page keeps directing me to the crapp store. Am I looking in the wrong place? Plus what else do I need? Detailed Vic High Country and, well pretty much detailed Vic and Maybe NSW later...

You may need to look in the play store as it is available for Android, cant comment on what its like as i am a beta tester in ios only and never tried the android version

oncedisturbed
1st April 2014, 07:23 PM
There is an application on the MM site to convert all map files to the MM format like you would add files in Itunes then go through your normal sync process.

Having said this, there are some map providers that have a built in "protection" within their maps / files that will not allow you to convert them to MM format, quite a few are the HEMA / Geoscience series, cant comment on rooftop as i have never used them

Hodge
1st April 2014, 08:34 PM
Having said this, there are some map providers that have a built in "protection" within their maps / files that will not allow you to convert them to MM format, quite a few are the HEMA / Geoscience series, cant comment on rooftop as i have never used them

My Hema 4x4 DVD maps 2013 are like this. They are for ozi explorer. Tried to load in MM and didn't work. I have to pay to get them converted.

Drewboyaus
1st April 2014, 09:18 PM

MemoryMap (not to be confused with MudMap) is exactly the same App as the Hema Maps App (Not the cheaper HEMA exporer).
Thus you can download the free PC application, pay your $50 and scan and import your own maps.

Drewboyaus
1st April 2014, 09:26 PM
My Hema 4x4 DVD maps 2013 are like this. They are for ozi explorer. Tried to load in MM and didn't work. I have to pay to get them converted.

Yes, this is the question I have asked here a number of times and have yet to recieve a satisfactory answer. It would appear though that Ozi files and MemoryMap (HEMA) files can not be converted to MudMap format. The Mud Map conversion tools will only convert a limited number of file types.
Absolutely bloody sh!ts me to tears the mapping mobs do that....propriety formats for what in many cases is exactly the same forkin' map so you have to buy it more than once! HEMA are the worst.....their new cheapie app is incompatible with the exisiting HEMA maps I have purchased for the main HEMA program....like WTF!

mudski
1st April 2014, 10:57 PM
You may need to look in the play store as it is available for Android, cant comment on what its like as i am a beta tester in ios only and never tried the android version

All I find is MudMap, not MudMap2. Or are they the same? My head hurts.

liftlid
2nd April 2014, 08:40 AM
I don't know why you don't just use ozi explorer, it's full featured, easy to use. Runs all the maps ( the constant complaint running through this thread)
And you could even scan in grandma's tea towel with the map of England on it, calibrate it and go for a drive.

Bloodyaussie
2nd April 2014, 08:48 AM
Because I dont want to have to stuff about... I want easy to use thanks!!!!!!

liftlid
2nd April 2014, 09:27 AM
Because I dont want to have to stuff about... I want easy to use thanks!!!!!!

So far it's been real easy for you hasn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloodyaussie
2nd April 2014, 09:53 AM
No its been the toughest time of my life!!!! oh wait what were we talking about???

I have just got the High Country App but have not put it to the test yet..... will do so later this month and then I can truly make an informed review .

liftlid
3rd April 2014, 11:05 AM
How does the apple app price rise effect the pricing of these apps?

Drewboyaus
3rd April 2014, 07:14 PM
How does the apple app price rise effect the pricing of these apps?
So far it hasn't, both are on special at $99 ATM

Bloodyaussie
11th April 2014, 07:40 PM
Funny thing this mudmap stuff.... as you know we went to Tallarook last weekend and I had just received my cheap 7 inch chinese gps... I also purchased the new Mudmap High country app with there basic map included for my ipad.

Now the Chinese Gps picked up about 90% of the tracks we were on but the Mudmap only picked up (including some major tracks) 70% ??????????

Funny hey !!!!!!!!

At one point I was on what would be considered a road and it did not know where I was???

MEGOMONSTER
11th April 2014, 09:24 PM
Funny thing this mudmap stuff.... as you know we went to Tallarook last weekend and I had just received my cheap 7 inch chinese gps... I also purchased the new Mudmap High country app with there basic map included for my ipad. Now the Chinese Gps picked up about 90% of the tracks we were on but the Mudmap only picked up (including some major tracks) 70% ?????????? Funny hey !!!!!!!! At one point I was on what would be considered a road and it did not know where I was???

Did any one have other branded maps that day to compare.

I was only using MemoryMap app which had no tracks just main tracks with no names but allowed me to know where we were.

Drewboyaus
11th April 2014, 10:58 PM
Did any one have other branded maps that day to compare. I was only using MemoryMap app which had no tracks just main tracks with no names but allowed me to know where we were.

I had MemoryMap (Hema) with a scanned Rooftops map of Tallarook and it worked fine.....knew exactly where we were at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

catchinjack
12th April 2014, 07:41 AM
I prefer OruxMaps, it's FREE and the maps for it you can download for FREE also.
I refuse to pay $100, I payed $50 for Hema Explorer and regret it, no better than what OruxMaps is.
I'd try MudMaps BUT not for the price they want for it, highway robbery imo

Hodge
12th April 2014, 08:02 AM
This is how my Hema Explorer on Android worked for me on our trip. This photo is zoomed out a bit, shows the tracks we done (most of ). it also shows camp grouds, toilets, and many other things.

This is when I zoom in a little bit. Tracks become very detailed with names, elevation, etc... Clicking on each route we done shows time, elevation, average speed etc...

Then I can upload the track to hema cloud and show few more details like below.
https://cloud.hemaexplorer.com.au/public/5b1VjwDi1eX1rq5rCC0tyevc/Aerial/

Here is a sample of high coutry walhalla area.

I had my laminated rooftops map with me, and the hema was much more detailed, like had more tracks etc...

The app is very fiddly so far as it is very new, some things are annoying etc... But it looks very promising.

Hodge
13th April 2014, 11:55 AM
This is how my Hema Explorer on Android worked for me on our trip. This photo is zoomed out a bit, shows the tracks we done (most of ). it also shows camp grouds, toilets, and many other things.

This is when I zoom in a little bit. Tracks become very detailed with names, elevation, etc... Clicking on each route we done shows time, elevation, average speed etc...

Then I can upload the track to hema cloud and show few more details like below.
https://cloud.hemaexplorer.com.au/public/5b1VjwDi1eX1rq5rCC0tyevc/Aerial/

Here is a sample of high coutry walhalla area.

I had my laminated rooftops map with me, and the hema was much more detailed, like had more tracks etc...

The app is very fiddly so far as it is very new, some things are annoying etc... But it looks very promising.

Was just toying around with mates mudmaps, and his ones have nowhere near the detail hema has. Unless I'm doing something wrong?? Max zoom in, his Tallarook area shows roughly 50-60% of compared to the hema maps. Likewise with the rootop map I have. So far hema winning for me on all notes.

liftlid
7th October 2014, 03:50 PM

so I decided to try Mud Map 2 on the ipad, works quite well with the maps supplied though I haven't tried to purchase extra maps (maps supplied are quite limited for my use)
I've downloaded the map converter and tried to run it but have been unable to convert any maps even rooftop maps (you will not that Mudmap claim that it works with rooftop maps)
Looked up their web site problems page and its a common thread with people being unable to convert maps.
would not recommend purchasing this app, there are easier ways to be frustrated that this!!

oncedisturbed
7th October 2014, 04:21 PM
The mudmap convertor does work. The problem that occurs is the background permissions on the map you are trying to convert prevents them being converted to the mm format.

I have both the hema apps and mm2 as well and switch between them to get a good level of coverage and take paper maps as well as a backup

Winnie
7th October 2014, 04:56 PM
I have MM2 but the converter does not work for me either, with Rooftops maps but they are maps I have made myself. I can't remember what file type they are but I will look tonight.

liftlid
7th October 2014, 05:44 PM
The mudmap convertor does work. The problem that occurs is the background permissions on the map you are trying to convert prevents them being converted to the mm format.

I have both the hema apps and mm2 as well and switch between them to get a good level of coverage and take paper maps as well as a backup

The issue is that maps that mm day will work don't work that's false advertising

oncedisturbed
7th October 2014, 07:35 PM
There is a section on their site that states some types wont work but cant recall where it is

liftlid
8th October 2014, 10:08 AM
There is a section on their site that states some types wont work but cant recall where it is

Yep went through all that. got about 6 gig of ozi maps did a random selection with no success. By the time you get to the point of the help and problem files you've already purchased the program under somewhat false pretences!

liftlid
16th October 2014, 01:45 PM
Ok just to update progress
I've used windows compatibility trouble shooter to fix the conversion app and it now converts files that are ozf2 and ozf3 but not ozf4,
Some of the maps dont calibrate in the correct location when used on mud map and some are fine.
Getting closer

Drewboyaus
16th October 2014, 07:44 PM
But still not as straight forward to use as Hema/MemoryMap by the sound of it....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

liftlid
17th October 2014, 08:11 AM
Yeah i agree you can never be sure the maps will be there when you load the app on the ipad. Ozi x is much better
The instructions are crap also

catchinjack
17th October 2014, 09:09 AM
Dear MudMaps, when will you lower the price of your main app for Android? Love to try it out but not paying $100 for it.

Beni C
17th October 2014, 06:41 PM
Yeah keen to give MM ago, I am already running Hema and Memory Maps.

Perhaps a special for forum members?

P4trol
17th October 2014, 09:47 PM
I'd be happy as others, if the maps I bought would recognise I have a license, and not request verification multiple times, and at the most inconvenient times.

Bloodyaussie
15th March 2016, 08:24 PM
Pm sent in regards to download issue for ipad...

Bloodyaussie
16th March 2016, 07:19 PM
Right i have messaged you lot through your website and via pm here and also posted in this thread. ..... where is your after sales service.

Anyone know another way to get in contact with this mob.?