PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Replacement - GU Front End

JR1
13th March 2014, 01:59 PM
Hi all, I've been through some of the past posts but they really didn't help too much. May have had what the wife calls a 'boy look' but....

I'm about to replace all bearings in the front of the Ute - Hub, wheel and swivel bearings.

I've checked my own manual and got some tips from Youtube as part of my research.

I've identified that I need to purchase a hub spanner and a bearing puller to replace the existing swivel bearings on the plate.

Questions:

1. Are there any other tools that I'll need to get the job done?
2. Any tips from the Forum members for the job as this is a first for me.

Appreciate any / all advise.

Cheers

JR1

MudRunnerTD
13th March 2014, 02:43 PM
Hi mate, you had a boy look for sure..... Lol.

There is a Mountain of info here and a number of very informative threads on the subject on the forum. Detailed exploded diagrams and photos.

Search maybe Swivel Hub rebuild or something and you will find heaps mate.

mudski
13th March 2014, 04:43 PM
Go easy Daz! :tease:
You won't need a bearing puller as I did the same to the front on mine when I fitted the locker and it was basically, a remove and refit. You do need how ever is something like a cold chisel and a hammer of course, to knock out the inner bearing cups in the hub, the top and bottom bearing cups in the swivel hub you need to knock out too. Under these cups is a small plate which can easily be damaged when knocking out the cups. But clean the underside of the cups right up and you will see two small indents where you can fit a, erm, knocking implement in there to push out the said cups. I didn't see them when I did it and butchered these plates in the process. You can buy these plate if you need.
Ah wait! The only bearing I didn't do was the small needle roller bearing inside the hub, i think it is. As you do need a puller for that one. I cleaned the old bearings right out, they weren't pitted or lose in the cage so I regreased them and left it at that.
Just get ready to have real dirty hands. Or if your like me I wear surgeons gloves so my skin is like cotton... Lol.

MudRunnerTD
13th March 2014, 05:07 PM
Sorry mate, was on the ipad. there are a couple of very good threads though, plenty to see. ;)

Good luck with it. yell out if you get stuck!

mudski
13th March 2014, 09:07 PM
Yeah the tablets are great but it is easy to use a laptop or computer for typing...

Also to the OP. Take notice of which way the hub seals are in the hub. You'll thank me for that...

JR1
14th March 2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks to you all for the advice and offers of assistance if I run into difficulties. Much appreciated. I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers

JR1
20th March 2014, 07:03 PM
Hi mate, you had a boy look for sure..... Lol.

There is a Mountain of info here and a number of very informative threads on the subject on the forum. Detailed exploded diagrams and photos.

Search maybe Swivel Hub rebuild or something and you will find heaps mate.

Thanks MudRunner.

Bearings have arrived so weekend after next the jobs on. One new issue. When reversing slowly with sterling on full lock I'm getting a strange noise from the front left of the ute. Sounds as though it's in the region of the brake rotors but strange that it doesn't happen when on full lock going forward. I'm pretty sure it's not the bearings as I know what they sound like when they are on their way out or busted. Part of me is thinking disk rotor problem, however I have an elocker fitted up front and now wonder if that could be causing the noise. I'll be changing the front diff oil when i do the bearings but curious to find out if anyone else has experienced this.

Looking forward to the day when I'm not bothering one and all with these sort of questions.

Cheers

JR1

MudRunnerTD
20th March 2014, 07:06 PM
Not bothering at all mate.

Is it in 4wd or 2wd?

while you have it apart have a good look at the CVs. Clean them up and have a feel of their action to make sure they are not tight and notchy.

JR1
21st March 2014, 09:31 PM
Not bothering at all mate.

Is it in 4wd or 2wd?

while you have it apart have a good look at the CVs. Clean them up and have a feel of their action to make sure they are not tight and notchy.

Thanks brother. Noise happens when in two wheel drive. I'll be out in the Brindies cutting dead wood this weekend so I'll engage both high and low range and see if it continues.

JR1
3rd April 2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks brother. Noise happens when in two wheel drive. I'll be out in the Brindies cutting dead wood this weekend so I'll engage both high and low range and see if it continues.

Ok all bearings changed. What an experience! Bit p1ssed off that whoever did the job before didn't do it properly. Found I was missing shims on the swivel hub bearings on the off side, missing thrust washers on both sides on the axel and the hubs are crappy aftermarket. Thanks for the advice re removing the old bearings from the swivel hub caps - cold chisel and hammer did the job without any damage. Gloves were a definite good idea - I now have this strange attraction to latex and grease! Guys - can't thank you enough. Next job, replacing the injectors this weekend then off to get her dyno'd and then that should be it until the fuel pump needs an overhaul.