PDA

View Full Version : oil leaks

aj_vmax
11th March 2014, 08:34 PM
Hey guys/girls
Just going to crawl under the patrol to see what needs doing and was wandering what I should be looking for in the way of oil leaks. I have a 4.5Ltr petrol

Bloodyaussie
11th March 2014, 08:38 PM
Not sure what you are asking to be honest??

Some of the main ones that are a worry are the rear main between the engine and gearbox... then there is sump gasket can leak and is more a pain in the ass than the end of the world..

It there are any leaks you should give the engine a good clean as it is hard to tell where they are coming from.

mudski
11th March 2014, 08:42 PM
Hey guys/girls
Just going to crawl under the patrol to see what needs doing and was wandering what I should be looking for in the way of oil leaks. I have a 4.5Ltr petrol

Pretty much what you said. Oil leaks. If you see oil leaking, then worry. As BA said. Not really sure what your exactly asking...

aj_vmax
11th March 2014, 08:59 PM
Sorry just thought there might have been some common spot to look out for.

mudski
11th March 2014, 09:07 PM
No need to appologise bud. Your question was very general that's all. Just look and see. If you see a leak then come back to us. If you don't, then sweet.

aj_vmax
11th March 2014, 09:07 PM
Cool just trying to do a little maintenance on the girl before things go wrong. I do have a rubbing noise coming from the front it only happens when u hard lock to the right. I did think it was the front left bearing but she it tight and no movement. Any ideas

mudski
11th March 2014, 09:21 PM
Which side is the rubbing noise coming from?

aj_vmax
11th March 2014, 09:22 PM
Left. I have also checked right front hub and no movement either.

mudski
11th March 2014, 09:25 PM
Car lifted? Tyre size? Are the front mudflaps still on the car?

aj_vmax
11th March 2014, 09:27 PM
No std. Std rims. I have looked and cannot find anything grinding marks

mudski
11th March 2014, 09:35 PM
There's adjuster bolts of the inside of the steering knuckle. These are stoppers for when turning full lock. Make sure both adjusters are there for starters.

aj_vmax
12th March 2014, 06:23 PM
Hey guys well got under patrol today and I have a little oil leak. It seems to be around the oil filter. The filter itself is tight. So I was thinking it may be leaking where the part that the filter screws on to and the block. Any ideas

threedogs
12th March 2014, 06:45 PM
Had the same thing, seemed who ever was doing my filter changes weren't changing the "O" ring
So next oil change did the filter with a new "O" ring provided with the filter and all is good.
Just a lazy mechanic taking a short cut at my expense,
plenty of oil running down and onto the front diff.
No need to over tighten the filter housing it can only lead to problems later on
The "O" ring hold it in not the housing

aj_vmax
12th March 2014, 08:22 PM
Hey guys. Well I got under the old girl. And guess what I have a small oil leak. It seems to be coming from near the oil filter but filter is tight. Thinking it might be coming from between the block and the part that the oil filter screws on to. What do u think.

aj_vmax
12th March 2014, 08:23 PM
Stupid internet lol

aj_vmax
12th March 2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks threedogs will try that. We have had doubts about mech. Buy thought they would do right by me as I have feed them thousands and thousands of dollars of work in the last 5 years. And not was a dollar mine. Thanks again