View Full Version : Gullwing window build

healy
9th March 2014, 09:28 PM
First pic is of the finished window 41660

LIST OF THINGS NEEDED:
Perspex uv spec
4 x Hinges 15mm offset stainless
10mm timber
12 x bolts, washers & Nuts (to suit hinge)
8x 20mm self drilling steel screws
4x compression locks barrels suited to 1 key (ebay is your friend)
White non permanent pen

First you will need to remove your stock windows.
DO NOT REMOVE PROTECTION FILM..
Cut perspex 5mm short of the outer rubber seal on the STOCK window frame.THIS IS THE HARDEST AND MOST TIME CONSUMING PART OF THE JOB. You want to get the bottom section fitting first when moulding the window to position once the botom is a nice fit Its time to get your hinges fitted now you need to cut timber to fit to hinge shape. You need to have a rolled edge on one long side of timber so it gets a nice fit into the roof. Pre drill holes to suit the hinge holes. You will need to mount these to the roof I used liquid nails aswell as the self drilling screws see pic below 41664

Now you will need a hand from someone to press the window against the hinges to mark your holes to drill and mark out your lock positions the back off the lock is to jam on the frame of the car.
Drilling and cutting perspex is a GENTLE job for cracking and melting reasons. I used a drill press on the slowest setting in and out motion dont drill in one movement. Once holes are drilled mount the window in bolt it up(hand tight) now you will need to cut the top including corners to suit your desired opening angle 41663

So once the easy parts done its time to put some sealant on the bolts and lock tight the nuts 41661

Time to cut your seals to suit and fill in the gaps I chose this seal 41661as it seems like it was made for the job the u channel section is to go on to the frame of the car and the bubble bit goes to the outside facing the perspex this does keep the rain and dust out ive tested over the past 6 months. However its no good with a gernie so I hand wash the windows.
Hopefully it will turn out to a finished product like this. 4166041663

I have done this on my phone I will fix this up abit more overtime to make it abit clearer and understandable as we have had the computer shit its self.
Any questions google it. Nah im more than willing to help you through it.
So at the end of the day you have put 4x screw holes in your car its cost less than $200 and you can access the back easier than ever yes it could be done better in the hinge side of things however this is a budget build should take about 2 hours

MudRunnerTD
9th March 2014, 10:00 PM
Nice one Healy, does it whistle at all? Nice and tight?

healy
9th March 2014, 10:08 PM
Nice one Healy, does it whistle at all? Nice and tight?

No noise at all mate. Bottom gets in real tight. Top is well sealed hasnt leaked or let dust in at all

healy
9th March 2014, 10:15 PM
Pic of seal style needed 41677
Pic of hinge style needed
Will be edited in later41678

fourj
9th March 2014, 10:18 PM
Great job Healy, I've been thinking of doing similar with checker plate. However I might look at using Perspex to keep weight down. How do you keep window up, I was thinking of gas struts of some type.

healy
9th March 2014, 10:26 PM
Gas struts was an option but I wasnt happy with the way they need to be fitted up and then it adds more holes in the panel also im just making a holder off the roof rack set up string and a hook lol. Both panels locks etc wouldnt even weigh half the weight of one stock window

Stropp
9th March 2014, 10:33 PM
Good job mate, I've been thinking of doing this to my gu.

healy
9th March 2014, 10:40 PM
Good job mate, I've been thinking of doing this to my gu.

It will be the same way to build it. And the best part it didnt cost anything in the end I actually made $80 by selling my stock windows win win until everybody catches on lol

healy
9th March 2014, 10:50 PM
Thats my storage set up to suit the windows. Imo most practical set up ive seen. One day ill ad a table off the door etc

NissanGQ4.2
10th March 2014, 08:22 PM
Nice one healy, this has got 2 go on my project list when I get around to rebuilding mine :)

BigRAWesty
10th March 2014, 08:28 PM
Awesome build Healy.

Good to see the q still coming along..

healy
10th March 2014, 08:58 PM
Awesome build Healy.

Good to see the q still coming along..

Nah cars been parked up since australia day first trip out I broke the auto hubs and stuffed a rear brake caliper lol

BigRAWesty
10th March 2014, 09:10 PM
Nah cars been parked up since australia day first trip out I broke the auto hubs and stuffed a rear brake caliper lol

That's how it's ment to be treated. Lol

Winnie
10th March 2014, 09:11 PM

Really?????

healy
10th March 2014, 09:23 PM
I know I should ask in another thread ive looked in the search function but can brakes be rebuilt? Is there a kit? Any ideas on price roughly if its possible?

And anyone got manual hubs they want to part with?

healy
10th March 2014, 09:24 PM

Yes and no id prefer to have brakes on the way home

BigRAWesty
11th March 2014, 12:43 PM
Look under the tread title twin locker install. He's just done up a section On caliper rebuilding..

threedogs
11th March 2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks for sharing Heals looks OE so well done Bloke lol
If $$$ allow fit the 4 pot caliphers from a GU bigger rotors too

healy
11th March 2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks for sharing Heals looks OE so well done Bloke lol
If $$$ allow fit the 4 pot caliphers from a GU bigger rotors too

Is that bigger than the 4.2 efi??

BigRAWesty
12th March 2014, 08:09 AM
Hay Healy, just thinking did you look for nice looking external hinges??
If the hinges were outside the seal would be complete..

healy
12th March 2014, 09:07 AM
Hay Healy, just thinking did you look for nice looking external hinges??
If the hinges were outside the seal would be complete..

Yeah I did but if you were to do that your creating an opening for water etc over time imo ive tried casement stays also but then your losing space inside and the possibility of bending the arms from objects in the back there is one hinge im after but at $30 a hinge im not impressed and then you have to run a box tube setup into the the original grab handle holes. There are other ways to get it done ive just chosen a strong easy to maintain budget style. I have another style I've worked out but I need to stripout a window and work out dimensions etc it will work hopefully by the end of the year I can show three ways of building these for under $400 roughly

matfew
12th March 2014, 09:13 AM
Love it Healy. I have been thinking of this ever since I got a canopy on my work car. I seen the manufactured ones and can't justify the price at this stage lol. Might give this a crack. Did the perspex end end straight or curved. If straight wonder how hard it would be with glass

BigRAWesty
12th March 2014, 09:23 AM
Was thinking something like this..
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=351021683653
A bit of silicone around holes. I think would stop any water..

healy
12th March 2014, 09:31 AM
Sorry do you mean is the pespex curved? Like the stock windows have a curve in it. Glass would be just the same imo. Im not sure why nissan have a curved glass set up on them originally I can only think for strength. Purpose of perspex stronger lighter easier to work with and I could get that tinted affect and from all my research it keeps the temps down abit more

BigRAWesty
12th March 2014, 09:38 AM
Love it Healy. I have been thinking of this ever since I got a canopy on my work car. I seen the manufactured ones and can't justify the price at this stage lol. Might give this a crack. Did the perspex end end straight or curved. If straight wonder how hard it would be with glass

Even the single peice glass replacements are flat..
My sliding rears were flat to..
Maybe a gq series 2 mod

matfew
12th March 2014, 12:34 PM
Mmm ok. I'm just wondering how perspex would hold up security wise compared to glass.

I might have to have a play with the spare shell I got and make something up

BigRAWesty
12th March 2014, 04:16 PM
Mmm ok. I'm just wondering how perspex would hold up security wise compared to glass.

I might have to have a play with the spare shell I got and make something up

Better than glass. Perspex won't crack like glass with impacts..

MudRunnerTD
12th March 2014, 06:32 PM

Link does not work.

healy
12th March 2014, 07:15 PM

Yeah it could possibly work. Could possibly use whats on the back of the jeeps rear windows with slight mods. You can use the exact hinge I've used im just not a fan of having it out side I prefer the clean look

BigRAWesty
12th March 2014, 07:30 PM
Yeah it could possibly work. Could possibly use whats on the back of the jeeps rear windows with slight mods. You can use the exact hinge I've used im just not a fan of having it out side I prefer the clean look

Yea I'd prefer all hidden to, but I do like water tight also.

Trying to find tier drop shaped ones but all the quality Ones are $100+!!!

BigRAWesty
12th March 2014, 07:31 PM
Link does not work.

www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hardware-Parts-6cm-x-4cm-Window-Cabinet-Door-Butt-Hinge-Black-/351021683653

MudRunnerTD
12th March 2014, 10:08 PM
www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hardware-Parts-6cm-x-4cm-Window-Cabinet-Door-Butt-Hinge-Black-/351021683653

Thanks Kallen, they look great.

These could work very well too

40mm-x-40mm-x-5mm-Alloy-Hidden-Concealed-Cabinet-Door-Hinge-Black (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40mm-x-40mm-x-5mm-Alloy-Hidden-Concealed-Cabinet-Door-Hinge-Black/231140797411?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D5431691615448914401 %26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20140106155344%26rk%3D0%26 rkt%3D6%26sd%3D351021683653&rt=nc)

MudRunnerTD
12th March 2014, 10:17 PM
These look similar and a great price

Rear-Fixing-Black-Hinge-Canopy (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rear-Fixing-Black-Hinge-Camper-Trailers-Canopy-Canopies-Toolboxes-Caravans-/121264308653?pt=AU_product_Trailer_Parts&hash=item1c3bea81ad&_uhb=1)

krbrooking
13th March 2014, 02:31 AM
Looks good man job well done.

healy
13th March 2014, 07:56 AM
The one thing I think your missing is the top of your window needs to be abit shorter as it will hit the frame when opening. An ideal hinge is one that has the movement to open but also moves window in and out. Thats why a casement stay is ideal but easily damaged on a vechile like this

patrol7
13th March 2014, 11:55 AM
Looks awesome dude.

camo625
18th March 2014, 03:36 AM
Thats such a great Idea might b the thing for the weekend that and installing another thermo fane on a remote switch

toorakdave
18th April 2014, 06:38 PM
Has you thought about replacing the barn doors with a gull wing door ? I am but cant seem to find anyone that has done it any ideas ? Dave

healy
18th April 2014, 06:52 PM
Has you thought about replacing the barn doors with a gull wing door ? I am but cant seem to find anyone that has done it any ideas ? Dave

Same way mate just use a central hinge I thought about it but no need for my storage setup but

Aeon
17th May 2014, 08:59 PM
Nice one mate, might consider it on my gq

threedogs
18th May 2014, 08:36 AM
@ Heals was just looking at your early pic of the rear set up.
Just a thought but you could "cage" in your fridge , have more
places to store stuff and still have access to your fridge.
Or do you access fridge from drivers side ??

healy
18th May 2014, 01:28 PM
@ Heals was just looking at your early pic of the rear set up.
Just a thought but you could "cage" in your fridge , have more
places to store stuff and still have access to your fridge.
Or do you access fridge from drivers side ??

I do access fridge from drivers side however just blew up the aito maybe

MonsterGQ
27th December 2014, 09:20 PM
Great idea mate and looks really good too

zach_attach
9th March 2017, 10:47 AM
Resurrecting this old barn wh0re of a thread to chin wag with you sallys about this mod.

Are there any updates on it from those of you who haven't been stricken down by the down-under sun yet?

I just ordered all my parts to DIY this exact thing on my Nissan xterra. Thread here (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exterior/230314-gull-wing-window.html). My plan is rock solid, like a priest in a gradeschool but any advice would be appreciated.

Gracias, or whatever

NissanGQ4.2
9th March 2017, 03:40 PM
Bumped due 2 last post going into moderation