PDA

View Full Version : Patrol rear suspension for my trailer

threedogs
8th March 2014, 03:39 PM
Seeing as it looks like I cant sell my camper, I'm going to rip out the greasable leaf spring set up and replace it with what is in the rear of our Patrols.
Good thing is I can source most parts from my local 4x4 shop as all components are thrown out when big lifts are fitted.
Not sure on coils yet need to measure a stock set. After that I'll put a canopy on the tub.
Open to any input or ideas

FNQGU
8th March 2014, 04:11 PM
Go full Airbags! Then you can level up on uneven surfaces when it is time for bed… seems like I can spend your money easily from here!

Ben-e-boy
8th March 2014, 04:40 PM
Are you attempting to get rid of the axle? Why a patrol 5 link setup

nissannewby
8th March 2014, 05:00 PM
Are you attempting to get rid of the axle? Why a patrol 5 link setup

I am with Ben-e here. WHY?! You want to go from very basic easily maintainable setup to something that has 5 links, 10 bushes and a pair of coils. Then there is the fabrication of all the mounts which geometry will need to be adhered too. Then if towing off-road the lower arms become very vulnerable as it's being dragged around behind you everywhere. I know you know people but it's still a big undertaking for a trailer. Also all this needs to be able to fit under that tub.

I would go along the lines of something like BenK has suggested. Use a frame style trailer suspension with air bags. Even at that setup there is probably less fabrication and maintainable parts than the 5 link.

IMO of course :).

Ben-e-boy
9th March 2014, 10:55 AM
Soo whats the verdict.

I think independant suspension with airbags is the go

FNQGU
9th March 2014, 11:14 AM
TD, if it was my money I would probably stick with the axle and leaf suspension, but just go to the trouble of making sure it was properly sprung, and that the shocks suited the setup. A well set-up solid axle and leaves is pretty bullet proof. Must have good shocks though.

My experience with airbags has been that they provide a fantastic ride, and yes on a camper they can even help you get a good nights level sleep, but for a while I used to keep getting air leaks, and find by morning that the trailer would be flat completely on one side. Eventually got it fixed, but it was a pain for a while.

What is making you think you need to completely replace the suspension anyway? Is the ride too rough?

megatexture
9th March 2014, 04:22 PM
I dont think swapping will give you any extra clearance( if anything less) newby has a good point about the bushes/maintenance aswell. Id be looking at an independant set up, be it airbags or coils thats the way id be going