PDA

View Full Version : Hema Maps

Tonks
7th March 2014, 06:54 AM
Hi does anyone know if hema maps for the ipad has campground and other info like the hema gps has,
Or is it just maps,
Cheers Tonks

Cuppa
7th March 2014, 07:30 AM
There are now two different Hema apps for iPad. The Hema maps app, & the Hema explorer app.
I only have experience of the Hema maps app, which does not come with the campground etc info.
I believe the explorer app does have this, but I haven’t seen it, but find it dificult to suss out just what else is included. It is significantly cheaper than the maps app. I read somewhere that if you already own the hema maps app, & then buy the Hema Explorer app that you have buy the maps again in addition to the cost of the app.

When I bought the Hema maps app, I thought I was buying the same package that comes on their GPS navigator, but it is not a turn by turn navigator & does not have pre-installed poi’s like Camps Australia. Scanning, calibrating & adding additional maps is possible (although a bit of stuffing around) if you have a PC, but if like me you run a mac, it’s not possible without running PC emulator software. I quite like the maps package, but would I buy it again ..... probably not. What I really wanted was their full GPS Navigator on my iPad which isn’t available.

Cuppa
7th March 2014, 07:36 AM
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/105094/HEMA_Explorer_for_Android_and_iPad.aspx

Tonks
7th March 2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks Cuppa,
The Hema maps is $ 129.00 & 1.6 GB
The Hema Explore is only $ 49.00 & 37.8 MB

Surely the Explore is nowhere as good, why is one 1.6 GB & the other only 37.8 MB,

Cheers Tonks,

Bloodyaussie
7th March 2014, 11:28 AM
They have specials on from time to time and can be picked up for $99 I think??

Cuppa
7th March 2014, 01:12 PM
why is one 1.6 GB & the other only 37.8 MB,

Cheers Tonks,

If you want all the maps you get with the 1.6Gb package you have to pay extra to add them to the 37.8MB package.
Their whole marketing strategy irritates & frustrates me. If they had simply made the package from their GPS navigator available for use on a tablet at a reduced cost I would have bought it. The Navigator (HN6) itself is too expensive at around $600 - $800. I would have paid $400 for it as an iPad app. Decent maps covering the whole country, a good range of larger scale maps available to add, & turn by turn navigation to camp spots are the main things I want. The Hema Maps app gives me just the first of those 3 aspects. I’m not interested in the social media aspects of Explorer, & unwilling to pay Hema the $49 when I would have to pay out a lot more to get the coverage of the maps I have already bought from them. Camps Australia has download available for $19.90 which allows you to load all the camp spots into a gps navigator http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/product/camps-7-gps-poi/ & then gives you turn by turn navigation to those spots. I may eventualy get it when we are ready to travel again, that way you get the latest update.
WikiCamps is not bad & getting better, but no turn by turn navigation.
Of course any camp sites lited in these sort of databases are prone to overuse. That’s why we bought a Patrol, so we can get further off the beaten track to find our own spots, but the databases are good as a backup, particularly when en route to an area of interest.

EDIT. THE new Hema HN7 (http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=58e25ead50fa5f7147688da86&id=2a116af42b&e=138b8cba03) is about to be released & can be purchased for $700 (http://www.sunburyonlineshop.com.au/new-hema-navigator-hn7-pre-order-del-mid-march-2014-p342/)

Fozzee63
7th March 2014, 02:45 PM
Great topo's but slow and a bit of a pain loading them if ur internet speed isn't lightning fast

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

paulyg
7th March 2014, 06:09 PM
As I understand it the Hema explorer does not store maps on the device, so is no good where there is no phone or internet connection.

Cuppa
7th March 2014, 06:22 PM
As I understand it the Hema explorer does not store maps on the device, so is no good where there is no phone or internet connection.

Yes, I wonderted about that. A video I saw suggested that the relevant parts of maps could be copied & pasted for use away from internet connections, but without seeing it actually used , it sounded a bit clunky & unfriendly to me. If anyone here buys it or has bought it, it would be really good to have a first hand review.

coiled
7th March 2014, 08:01 PM
I am using Hema Maps and Wikicamps with reasonable success. You can download the wikicamp data for offline access. For a total cost of $130 I think it is a very good compromise compared to cost of HN6/7.

ezza57
25th March 2014, 10:20 AM
I use the Hemma maps with the wikicamps as well, for you IPAD you need a small bluethooth gps reciever from garmin or similar, then you don't really need a standalone nav system

Stropp
25th March 2014, 04:59 PM
I use the Hemma maps with the wikicamps as well, for you IPAD you need a small bluethooth gps reciever from garmin or similar, then you don't really need a standalone nav system

if you have an ipad with inbuilt gps you dont need the receiver, i have the 3g ipad with inbuilt receiver with hema on it and wikicamps but im sure i only paid like $3.90 for that app.

catchinjack
25th March 2014, 07:03 PM
I have hema explorer on android and it sux, you really need 3g for it even though it says you don't. I'm using OruxMaps for android now with hema mapping and love it.
The hema explorer is also not using latest maps apparently.

oncedisturbed
25th March 2014, 07:34 PM
Latest maps being offered by HEMA are on their new app similar to MudMap v2

Tonks
29th March 2014, 08:19 AM
Just saw they have an Easter special of $ 99 bucks

LaughingBeagles
5th April 2015, 06:16 PM
Just purchased Hema Explorer for $29.99 for my iPad. It's now downloading the extra 2.3Gig. I figured it's only $30 and it I don't like it, I've not blown $100 on Helma 4x4. It's a tough choice though and reminds me of the old PCTOOLS vs XTGOLD (for older geeks, you'll get that) argument of years ago. Some say Mudmaps 2 is great while others say Hema is the way to go; I really think it boils down to what one you used first / got used to using.

Will post up some thoughts on Explorer once I've had a chance to give it a good workout.

BigRAWesty
2nd June 2017, 08:06 AM
So a bit of a thread dig.
Hema now have the navigator at $40..
What are peoples thoughts on the app.
Does it function like the dedicated hx7 setup?