PDA

View Full Version : GU 2.8lt hard starting warm/hot

hyde79
3rd February 2011, 04:23 PM
Hi
I have just purchased a GU 99 2.8lt, starts fine when cold but an absolute pig when hot, blows white smoke once going, runs smooth.
New glow plugs fitted, MAF sensor cleaned, Intercooler cleaned, catch tank fitted, air control butterfly removed and egr blocked.
Yet to check voltage to glow plugs but like I said starts fine in the morning, so I am presuming they are working fine.
I have ordered new backing plate and o'ring for the injector pump as this a Nissan fix aparrently, moves the injector timing back to correct position. Body wears and this is a tempory fix... Quoted $3500 to repair pump if thats the problem.
Has anybody else had this problem?

hyde79
4th February 2011, 02:29 PM
Yee Haa
Fixed the starting problem for now....No white smoke or nearly flat battery problems now when trying to start hot!!!!!!. Starts 1st go
Happy happy joy joy

DX grunt
4th February 2011, 02:34 PM
Well done, bro.

Take care out there.

Ross

GUte
4th February 2011, 02:46 PM
What was the prob?

RustyNails
4th February 2011, 04:52 PM
Was it a dodgy battery?

hyde79
4th February 2011, 06:33 PM
Nope to the dodgy battery,
I replaced the advance plate on the injector pump, the plate has a 5mm boss which was a retro fit by nissan as fix many years ago for the hot starting problem. There was a service letter sent out for the retro fit so I found out (many years ago).,the guys at midland Nissan tracked down the old part numbers I gave them. Total cost $38.40
I just bought the car last week the previous owner has already replaced glow plugs, new battery, new MAF sensor, new air cleaner, new fuel solinoid, but neglected to tell be about the starting problem. Cheap fix for me, expensive for him... story was he was selling cos his missus didn't have a manual licence.
Anyway all good, I'll post up the new part numbers to make it easy for the next person...

Sir Roofy
4th February 2011, 07:39 PM
You got out of it cheap mate glad it was all sorted for you

roofy

YNOT
4th February 2011, 09:52 PM
Nope to the dodgy battery,
I replaced the advance plate on the injector pump, the plate has a 5mm boss which was a retro fit by nissan as fix many years ago for the hot starting problem. There was a service letter sent out for the retro fit so I found out (many years ago).,the guys at midland Nissan tracked down the old part numbers I gave them. Total cost $38.40
I just bought the car last week the previous owner has already replaced glow plugs, new battery, new MAF sensor, new air cleaner, new fuel solinoid, but neglected to tell be about the starting problem. Cheap fix for me, expensive for him... story was he was selling cos his missus didn't have a manual licence.
Anyway all good, I'll post up the new part numbers to make it easy for the next person...

Thanks mate, it would definately be helpful if you could post up part numbers and any other information you have (Nissan service letter if you could get it-unlikely though) for future reference.

Tony

RustyNails
4th February 2011, 11:55 PM
I can help hyde79 out with this as I had this done (Nov 2003) shortly after buying the car

Plate NI09621-80901AU (was $20.37 back then)
O-Ring NI6826-V0700 (was $18.17 back then)

hyde79
6th February 2011, 11:18 AM
Rustynails yes correct with those part numbers and the cost are the same.

RustyNails
6th February 2011, 11:03 PM
Rustynails yes correct with those part numbers and the cost are the same.

Amazing they haven't gone up in 7 yrs, it's a miracle

hyde79
10th March 2011, 02:58 PM
Patrol update:
Trol is running great after fix, no signs of hard starting anymore yee haa

hyde79
16th December 2011, 12:17 PM
UPDATE:
Trol being good but now.....
Think me turbo has gone....or MASS Sensor as boost all over the place 5psi.....then 12psi at flat out revs (warm), oil present in intake. Waste gate is very loose no resistance when I disconnect vacuum actuator rod..this all happens when cold to warmish. Oil catch can installed.
Any comments apprciated..Thanks

albi
23rd December 2011, 10:37 PM
What was the prob?

the plate in question was a factory fix ,as the pump wont allow the engine to fire as it has to move a plunger into the ready position!
basicly the pump timming is retarded!!

what it does is advance the pump internals mechanicly!!

SEEBEE
21st January 2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for those part numbers, Ive been looking everywhere for this info!

Steve cooper
21st January 2012, 08:40 PM
Hi mate, I had a customer at work with the same issues and recommended a pump overhaul, this could help him a lot as he is only a young bloke I'll be chasing this up on Monday for him great info mate!

statok
4th April 2014, 06:22 PM
Ive sent you a PM hyde79. Im having the same problem