PDA

View Full Version : goose neck on towbar

aj_vmax
5th March 2014, 09:02 PM
Hey guys/girls I went to remove the goose neck out of my tow bar today and it is rusted in. Any idea on how to remove it I have tried a hammer, wd40 And no way is it going to move. Please need help

MEGOMONSTER
5th March 2014, 09:14 PM
Hey guys/girls I went to remove the goose neck out of my tow bar today and it is rusted in. Any idea on how to remove it I have tried a hammer, wd40 And no way is it going to move. Please need help

Is it the original amiss an row pack.
I got a mates out by rubber mallet and WD40 to not much success, until I decided to belt it in more instead of out and broke the rust seal, then more w WD40 and mm by mm it started to come.
You just need to break that rusted seal.
I hit it in to get it out.
Also a slide hammer may help.

happygu
5th March 2014, 09:31 PM
If it is the Hayman Reece type, with the square insert, you could load it up with WD40, pull the pin, and tie it off to a tree /bollard, and slowly move off.....

Similarly, you could do the same but edge it up to a solid wall, and reverse slowly, to break the seal ( you would have to be careful doing it this way, so that you dont go too hard )

Mic

megatexture
5th March 2014, 09:41 PM
If it is the Hayman Reece type, with the square insert, you could load it up with WD40, pull the pin, and tie it off to a tree /bollard, and slowly move off.....

Similarly, you could do the same but edge it up to a solid wall, and reverse slowly, to break the seal ( you would have to be careful doing it this way, so that you dont go too hard )

Mic

I had to use a tree and a tree trunk protector to pull mine out after 20 odd tugs off a bloody big tree it finally let go and that's after trying heat, wd40, innox, hammering nothing would work.

aj_vmax
8th March 2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the responce do u think using a block and tackel would work or is it the sudden jolt of hooking up to a tree is what would make it move

threedogs
8th March 2014, 02:22 PM
I would think shocking it would be better than a slow heave ho.
belt all sides if possible, If the rear of the hitch is open you maybe able to put a bar in there
and belt it out that way, plenty of CRC is the go, you need to break the seal. Unless you have bottomed out and squashed it in.
6 stubbies should see it out I think, lol still a PITB job

TimE
8th March 2014, 03:55 PM
As daddy always said, don't force it, use a bigger hammer :smile:

threedogs
8th March 2014, 04:17 PM
4lb club hammer sounds about right lol short handle

aj_vmax
8th March 2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys/girls I have tried Everything you have all talked about and she is a no go. I even hooked up to a tow truck winch and patrol was dragged so we hooked up front to tree and still no movement even with it tight and slamming with a sledgehammer on its sides nothing

lhurley
8th March 2014, 07:10 PM
Could try cold then rapid heat and then a big whack. Cold to shrink it, hot to expand it then shock for the last bit.

Failing that, remove then replace? Or a bigger hammer :p

MudRunnerTD
8th March 2014, 09:55 PM
maybe unbolt the whole thing so you can get a good swing to the back of it or take the tow bar off and take it somewhere with a big press (20ton) and see if they can press it out over a day or pressing it out while heating with an oxy. Really concerned about loading it up and giving it a belt and hoping it releases all of a sudden. things can go pear shaped fast.

megatexture
10th March 2014, 01:37 AM
Ive got a press(20t) you can use but im on bris south side .. if you cant find any closer

Robo
10th March 2014, 04:46 AM
try pouring a jug of very hot if not boiling water over the receiver part best ya can.
give it a good tug and push and tug again. lol
hot water old school trick.

may need to do a couple times before ya give up.
and spray wd40 or similar between attempts.

even freeze lube spray might be a better idea between attempts.
I had to do that once with a relay rod once nothing else worked.

Even give it over night to cool down between attempts.
it may come loose enough with the heat cycling to allow you to remove it

aj_vmax
10th March 2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys I might have to pull off and try everything. If nothing works might have to cut it out. Will let u know which works