PDA

View Full Version : GQ stereo !

kreeper
4th March 2014, 07:38 PM
Hi there,

just bought my first patrol yesterday and whilst i love it already the original sound system is lacking a bit of balls! I'm on a bit of a tight budget but i love my sound! the worst combination. I've done a few searches and looked around on the web and I'm still struggling to get a few straight answers. my main concerns are pre outs, when and if an amp is necessary, cross overs and who and where can i get the wiring harness?

i was planning on buying the list that follows -

Head unit - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171153150904?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

front door speakers - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIONEER-TSA1674S-6-INCH-3-WAY-300-WATT-SPEAKERS-/230863938583?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c0902417&_uhb=1 (yes i know i will need to make some MDF discs)

Barn door speakers - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alpine-SPR-69-Type-R-6x9-300W-Stereo-Car-Speakers-Full-Range-Pair-Audio-6-x9-/251422899880?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a89f8fea8&_uhb=1 ( i know ill need to modify the door cards)

Wiring harness - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-ISO-WIRING-HARNESS-radio-plug-lead-wire-loom-connector-Navara-D40-Xtrail-/261238538382?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd307c08e

ill also need heat shrink and audio cable(what gauges would be adequate) if any one has any suggestions as to how to change the set up that would be great!

Dales300exc
4th March 2014, 09:25 PM
I used to have knowledge. I have forgotten most.

You would be much better off spending more on a good set of front component speakers(main woofer and seperate tweeter going through a crossover) than more on a rear set of 6x9s.

Those 6x9s would need an amp to run anywhere near what they are capable of and the sound out of 6x9s is not as clear and crisp but they can bring some bass to a subwoofer free system at cost of sound quality. Those pioneers are fairly lousy.

Any good speaker needs an amp to recieve the power it needs to produce more sound without distortion.

I guess it all comes down to what you want. If you just want some better sound but dont wish to run an amp, buy the best head unit you can afford and speakers around its maximum power output, any higher than the head units max output and your just wasting money on the speakers.

kreeper
5th March 2014, 09:55 AM
so i would be better of buying a better quality head unit and some good component speakers for now and looking at getting an amp later down the track? an amp runs off the pre outs yes? so how many pre outs would be necessary for a sub and 6x9s? two? or would i be better off running and a total of 4 component speakers and a sub to add the bass?

BigRAWesty
5th March 2014, 10:01 AM
For one amp you'll need 1x pre outs.
I fitted 6x9's in the middle doors, wish I'd gone 6" splits in all 4 now..

kreeper
5th March 2014, 10:22 AM
but with the pre outs i notice its either one pre out for the rear(or subwoofer) or head units with two pre outs (front and rear) i assume that means if you want to run an amplifier to the front speakers you must have a second amp running off a second set of pre outs? or can you just run pre outs to an amplifier and then say 6 inch components off the amp for the front and a subwoofer as well?

Winnie
5th March 2014, 10:28 AM
All good head units will have 3 pre-outs. Front, rear and sub. Front speakers should be driven seperately to the rears.
If you want to run your speakers amped and have a sub as well, you need 2 amps. A 2 channel for front and rear speakers, and a mono block for the sub.

kreeper
5th March 2014, 10:59 AM
so for the 2 channel amp it would run off the two pre outs? (front and rear) and then the mono block runs off the sub pre out?

Winnie
5th March 2014, 11:31 AM
That's correct.

Bloodyaussie
5th March 2014, 11:55 AM
That head unit was on special last week at supercheap for $90.....

Alitis007
5th March 2014, 12:18 PM
All good head units will have 3 pre-outs. Front, rear and sub. Front speakers should be driven seperately to the rears.
If you want to run your speakers amped and have a sub as well, you need 2 amps. A 2 channel for front and rear speakers, and a mono block for the sub.
You need a 4 channel amp for the speakers, 1 channel for each speaker. A 2 channel amp will only do 1 pair of speakers or a sub if its bridged or running off 1 channel

so for the 2 channel amp it would run off the two pre outs? (front and rear) and then the mono block runs off the sub pre out?

Each channel will run off 1 set of RCA's ( L and R) so pre out front will have 1 set, pre out rear will have another and sub another again

Alitis007
5th March 2014, 12:28 PM
In my trol i installed alpine type R 6.5" splits / component in the front doors and pioneer 6" Dtype 3 way / coaxial in the back doors all running off the head. Imo if you run speakers on the barn doors you'll have a big gap between all the speakers and it will sound crap. If you spend a little extra on the speakers i rekon you won't need an amp like i've done and if you get good speakers for the back doors you wouldn't need a sub, i my case you cant feel the bass but you can hear it with a lot of depth and not flat like some of the cheaper ones sound like.

kreeper
5th March 2014, 01:23 PM
so a better system would be a head unit with 3 pre outs one fore front one for middle and one for the sub woofer but the head unit cables would run from the head unit to a 2 channel amp that for the front and middle speakers and then a the last pre out to the mono amp for the subwoofer?

EDIT

I've been looking into this a bit more and I've noticed most two channel amps only have one set of RCA inputs (red and white which I'm assuming is left and right) does this mean an would need a total of 3 amps? one for front one for middle and mono for sub?

Alitis007
5th March 2014, 01:54 PM
If you read my earlier post mate i said that. To run 4 speakers you need a 4 channel amp - 1 channel for each speaker.

Mono block amps generally have 1 channel, mono meaning 1 but are more expensive than stereo type 2 / 4 channel amps

healy
5th March 2014, 02:14 PM
You can also get 2 in 1 rca cables if money is an issue or you dont want so many amps

kreeper
5th March 2014, 02:30 PM
If you read my earlier post mate i said that. To run 4 speakers you need a 4 channel amp - 1 channel for each speaker.

Mono block amps generally have 1 channel, mono meaning 1 but are more expensive than stereo type 2 / 4 channel amps

sorry forgot to refresh the page and didn't see the new post!

thanks for all the replies I'm beginning to wrap my head around it!

i think ill just start of with as good a quality head unit as i can afford (hopefully one with a 3 pre outs) and then expand on the system as i can afford.

just to clarify.

head unit with three pre outs, front and rear run to a 4 channel amp that does the front and rear speakers (both 6 inch component speakers as 6x9's offer more bass but sacrifice quality so aren't necessary if a sub will be installed) and then the 3rd pre out runs to a mono amp that handles the sub?

Winnie
5th March 2014, 02:34 PM
Yep Alitis is right, I had a brain fart.
What you just said then is right.

kreeper
5th March 2014, 11:29 PM
http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=276 this is the head unit i have chosen, seems to be in my price range.. kind of hahaha and then i was going couple it with these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261092794619?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 i think its a good start as ill be able to build on the system with out having to re buy speakers or head units!

if anyone has any suggestions as to a better head unit for the money ( i can get the head unit for $239 delivered off ebay) or better speakers id love to hear your opinion!

cheers for the feed back and answers its great to actually understand what and how I'm going to accomplish what i want

elmo4eva
9th June 2014, 07:56 PM
Hey mate just letting u no that don't go a pioneer head unit go a clarion , alpine or fusion cause pioneer have really shit inbuilt fuses for there pre out they tend to blow easy