PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion leak

Lambroast
3rd February 2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Just when I thought I had my patrol running well.... gremlins strike :(

Drove out this morning to go to the shops (Yes I know - bitumen roller - already copped the flak !)
Went and filled up with gas after driving for about 8mins tops.
Noticed a hell of a lot more water than usual dripping from beneath the engine bay. Had the A/C going flat out so thought maybe condensation. But no. Took it to local mechanic 1 min away and had a look.
Turns out there is some corrosion on the side of the block beneath the manifold. Steady stream of water coming from there. Looking at the service manual pic of the engine, there appears to be some kind of plate mounted there. Just above the oil filter, covering 3 welsh plugs.
Seems I have a mission on my hands....Would have to happen just as I'm on holidays and planning on driving to Dongara next week....

Anybody got any thoughts on the cause/repair of this ?

Cheers
Simon

Bob
3rd February 2011, 04:02 PM
I would bet that is is Welsh Plugs

Simon
3rd February 2011, 04:04 PM
welsh plugs always rust away around the outer edge and sometimes this damages the block. If it has in your case go and buy the next size plug up and get your hands on a reamer to suit that and ream the hole out by hand to remove the corrosion - this will sometimes work... Not all cars have enough metal around the plug to do this... If you do put in new welsh plugs i cant stress this enough... make up a tool... they are a pain in the butt to tap in with a hammer and quite difficult... but once they start they just keep going and often end up floating around the motor... which is not really a good thing... Make up a tool that looks like a cross so you can tap them in and a few arms then hit the block to prevent the plug being pushed in too far...

If it is just corrosion and you need the car straight away you could try this... Go to a hardware store and get a tube of knead it the fast setting epoxy for metal... WOrks a treat.. .I had a split top tank on a radiator once and was leaving next morning for a 500km trip from sydney down past jarvis bay... I put some of that on and 3 weeks later it was still going with no leaks... Use lots of it as it is slightly porous... Getting it back off the engine will be a pain...

So no real answers for you... the best thing to do is strip it down and replace the bits properly... question is how much time and cash do you have!

Lambroast
3rd February 2011, 04:12 PM
Just spoke to Nissan.
The plate covering the Welshplugs is replaceable at $110. A tube of sealant is $83. Guess I should be replacing the welsh plugs as well. $2.70 each.
Not too expensive, but a pain in the ass all the same..

Simon

Lambroast
4th February 2011, 02:29 PM
So it seems there is an optional Oil cooler available for this motor. Instead of the plate mentioned above, my motor has got a larger mounting plate with a small oil core mounted on the inside.
Oil filter screws into this. Instead of the blank plate @ $110, the Oil cooler assy plate retails for about $477. Noice. Going to take it to an aluminium welder to plug up the hole instead.
Bought all the gaskets/o-rings, sealant to remove this plate and refit it. Also picked up a new thermostat, gasket and radiator cap to replace at the same time. Got replacements for the 3 welsh plugs behind the oil cooler assy as well just in case.

All above plus new oil, air, fuel filters and new oil should have it running like a dream again ! Last time I tell anyone 'Yer mate, it's good and reliable' :) I've jinxed myself !!

Simon

Simon
4th February 2011, 02:46 PM
just when you get that done some other niggling issue will crop up... almost guaranteed... Cars, boats and women are all the same...