PDA

View Full Version : Sydney - Working bee and BBQ

rkinsey
2nd March 2014, 05:26 PM
G'day boys,

Was wondering if anyone in or near Sydney would like to have a get together and help me swap engines from my parts car to my GQ wagon?

I have never done this before but am willing to learn (but it would be good to have a few boys there to point me in the right direction.)

Will put on food and drinks for us.

Any takers?

Time frame. Possibly the ANZAC day long weekend on either Saturday or Sunday or the weekend after.

Would be good to have a meet and greet too.

Cheers,

Rob

Righto.

Meet 'n Greet / Working Bee / BBQ get together for Sydney and surrounds members (and anyone else that would like to come along)

Date: Saturday 3rd May 2014
Time: 1300 Hrs (1pm)

Location: My place. Western Sydney. PM me for address (I have already sent a few PMS to those in this thread)

Attending

NissanGQ4.2
rusty_nail
Kevin07

Possible attending

pbk1776
ova50

so who else is coming?

Cheers,

Rob

kevin07
2nd March 2014, 05:53 PM
im good to meet up only im not sure if im working ill work it out.kev

rkinsey
2nd March 2014, 06:13 PM
Cheers Kev. All are welcome.

NissanGQ4.2
2nd March 2014, 06:28 PM
I could come over and help but I'm no mechanic. Not sure if the boss has already made plans or not for the long weekend but pencil me in. Saturdays I will only be able to do arvo as the boy has soccer in the morning.

If you hand me a paintbrush, I will be leaving!

rkinsey
2nd March 2014, 06:35 PM
I could come over and help but I'm no mechanic. Not sure if the boss has already made plans or not for the long weekend but pencil me in. Saturdays I will only be able to do arvo as the boy has soccer in the morning.

If you hand me a paintbrush, I will be leaving!

Cheers Todd.

Saturday arvo sounds good to me. Im no mechanic either but I will research as much as I can and give it a red hot go.

No painting that weekend so your safe. (Should be finished by then.... if it stops raining.

pbk1776
3rd March 2014, 09:12 PM
I'm happy to come out and lend a hand
Good for a Saturday - not too sure for
April long weekends I think we're going
Away already.

I'm no mechanic but I do alot of things
On my cars -

Family4x4
3rd March 2014, 09:41 PM
Get motors side by side swap bolt ons refit. If you are methodical it wont be too hard.

rkinsey
4th March 2014, 12:02 PM
Giving this a bump.

Plenty of room for a few more that want to get to gether, have a BBQ and mabey a few cold ones and possibly help me out swaping motors out of my GQ.

Cheers,

Rob

rkinsey
6th March 2014, 05:24 PM
Giving this another bump.

Plenty of room for a few more that want to get to gether, have a BBQ and mabey a few cold ones and possibly help me out swaping motors out of my GQ.

Cheers,

Rob

Drewboyaus
6th March 2014, 06:02 PM
Come on Sydney-siders......
Don't be shown up by the Victorian, ACT, WA and Queensland members in getting together....
Don't be shy......

rkinsey
6th March 2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks Drew.

After this one we can start organising a few more get togethers and working bee's.

NissanGQ4.2
6th March 2014, 06:33 PM
So have you set a date Rob? The weekend after the long weekend will probable work better for me 3rd / 4th may i think it will be

rkinsey
6th March 2014, 08:06 PM
So have you set a date Rob? The weekend after the long weekend will probable work better for me 3rd / 4th may i think it will be

That probably sounds like a good idea Todd.

Ok here it is everyone.

Saturday Afternoon, 3rd May 2014, 1300 Hrs (1pm for you civillians....) Minchinbury.

NissanGQ4.2
6th March 2014, 08:30 PM
That probably sounds like a good idea Todd.

Ok here it is everyone.

Saturday Afternoon, 3rd May 2014, 1300 Hrs (1pm for you civillians....) Minchinbury.

Cool, Not sure when my boys Football ( what is known to me as soccer ) game will finish as we have only just registered him and games haven't started yet, will be there when I get there. Can you PM your addy

NP99
6th March 2014, 09:16 PM
Try bankstown.....they should be able to help strip a car down quick....,, :)

rkinsey
6th March 2014, 10:18 PM

The issue is I want to keep the parts that I strip off my GQ......

rkinsey
6th March 2014, 10:19 PM
Cool, Not sure when my boys Football ( what is known to me as soccer ) game will finish as we have only just registered him and games haven't started yet, will be there when I get there. Can you PM your addy

No worries Todd. I know what you mean. I have been helping manage our own local Soccer club for the past 10 years and both my kids (and me until last year) are involved in playing and refereeing.

I will PM you my contact details as well as anyone else who wants to come along.

Cheers,

Rob

kevin07
7th March 2014, 08:34 AM

heres what we do at bankstown we take your car bro we take the parts off then drop it at the local police station so no one can touch it and buy it at auction then put it back together so then we got a cheap car but we have put a lot of our own labour into it so whats wrong with that. its fully sick bro

rusty_nail
7th March 2014, 09:43 AM
hey mate, cant believe i missed this one! im there for sure, ive been looking for an excuse to meet some of the other sydney guys and im hoping your not all weirdos like that todd fella !!!

rkinsey
7th March 2014, 09:52 AM
hey mate, cant believe i missed this one! im there for sure, ive been looking for an excuse to meet some of the other sydney guys and im hoping your not all weirdos like that todd fella !!!

G'day Rusty.

I wouldnt say completely weird...... just some of us!

You are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Rob

rusty_nail
7th March 2014, 09:58 AM
G'day Rusty.

I wouldnt say completely weird...... just some of us!

You are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Rob

sweet as mate, im putting it down in my calender now. pm me some deets mate

rkinsey
7th March 2014, 09:59 AM
Righto.

Meet 'n Greet / Working Bee / BBQ get together for Sydney and surrounds members (and anyone else that would like to come along)

Location: My place. Western Sydney. PM me for address (I have already sent a few PMS to those in this thread)

Cheers,

Rob

rusty_nail
7th March 2014, 10:03 AM
Righto.

Cheers,

Rob

please dont send me PMS, my missus already has enough... im happy with just a PM =P

rkinsey
7th March 2014, 10:07 AM
please dont send me PMS, my missus already has enough... im happy with just a PM =P

Hahahaha... typo there... Yep, the dredded "Periodical Monster Syndrome" can be tense times.

Thats why god invented Pub's!!

Message sent rusty.

rusty_nail
24th March 2014, 02:02 PM
Well its a small crowd but im looking forward to meeting you all, i know there will be at least three with patrols... dunno about that todd fella tho lol

Kevin07 - Coming
pbk1776 - Maybe
NissanGQ4.2 - Coming but not to paint
rusty_nail - Coming

so who else is coming?

taslucas
24th March 2014, 02:16 PM
Post me a snag hey?

rkinsey
24th March 2014, 02:40 PM
Post me a snag hey?

I'll email you one shall I tas...?:drunk:

Bloodyaussie
24th March 2014, 04:55 PM
Righto.

Cheers,

Rob
You should update your first post or do a new thread all together with all the details as a lot gets lost in all the dribble that Nick spews out!!!!!!!

ova50
24th March 2014, 05:52 PM
Rkinsey:
I may be able to help.
I do have a trip to Canberra coming up, not sure of the dates at the moment, but I think it will be before the 3rd May.
Put me down as a possible.
:cheers:

rusty_nail
25th March 2014, 07:29 AM
You should update your first post or do a new thread all together with all the details as a lot gets lost in all the dribble that Nick spews out!!!!!!!

great idea jono, ya big PFC. get onto it Rob

rkinsey
25th March 2014, 08:50 PM
great idea jono, ya big PFC. get onto it Rob

Got him Rusty. All are welcome if you are in the neighbourhood.

rkinsey
25th March 2014, 08:51 PM
Rkinsey:
I may be able to help.
I do have a trip to Canberra coming up, not sure of the dates at the moment, but I think it will be before the 3rd May.
Put me down as a possible.
:cheers:

Got you on the list Ova.

I will post more info in a fresh post closer to the date boys

NissanGQ4.2
3rd April 2014, 05:56 PM
Bump..........

I have also updated your original post Rob with time and those attending / possible attending

Cheers

Toddie

rkinsey
28th April 2014, 02:43 PM
Righto.

What are we doing:

Swapping an RD28T motor from one GQ to another. If you want to have a look and see how it is done and help get your hands dirty then by all means come along.

BBQ will be for dinner. I will have some snags and chops on the go but if you want to bring your own goodies you are more than welcome to do so.

Cheers,

Rob

NissanGQ4.2
28th April 2014, 06:17 PM
Whats in the fridge???? :drunk:

See you then, not sure when the boys game finishes but I'll be there when I get there

rusty_nail
29th April 2014, 04:48 AM
Yep see you there rob

rkinsey
29th April 2014, 09:47 AM
Whats in the fridge???? :drunk:

See you then, not sure when the boys game finishes but I'll be there when I get there

No worries Todd. I know how it is with soccer season on top of us. We have a double header this weekend and are going to be flat out with both of my kids playing and refereeing but at least they are both at home so we dont have any travelling to do.

Rock up when you can.

Cheers,

Rob

rkinsey
29th April 2014, 09:50 AM
Yep see you there rob

Thanks Rusty.

I will have most of the work done in the morning by tagging all connections and taking pics of everything. I will leave one motor in tact so that anyone who wants to see the motor removal process from the beginning (including me...) can do so.

I'll have all the liquids drained as well just to get the messy bits out of the way.

Anyone else who wants to come along, you are more than welcome. Just PM me for details.

Cheers,

Rob

rusty_nail
29th April 2014, 09:53 AM
what time does it start again?

also... JONATHON, what UHF channel are we using for this event?

rkinsey
29th April 2014, 09:58 AM
1300 Hrs on Saturday (1pm) or there abouts

rusty_nail
2nd May 2014, 01:07 PM
1300 Hrs on Saturday (1pm) or there abouts

Rob is the spot were doing the car under cover? It's forecast to rain

NissanGQ4.2
2nd May 2014, 04:21 PM
No worries Todd. I know how it is with soccer season on top of us. We have a double header this weekend and are going to be flat out with both of my kids playing and refereeing but at least they are both at home so we dont have any travelling to do.

Rock up when you can.

Cheers,

Rob

If the weather forecast predicted happens and the game gets cancelled, I'll send you a message and if your around I'll come over earlier

rusty_nail
2nd May 2014, 06:17 PM
only reason i ask is i have a big marquee (like a proper marquee not just one of those fold out jobbies) we can setup and work under if the spot were working on is uncovered

rkinsey
3rd May 2014, 09:00 AM
G'day Rusty.

Unfortunately we are outdoors so a cover would be great.

It has been raining this morning but it is slowing down and should stop rsining in the next hour or so.

I have tarps we can use as well.

We will see how we go.

If it is to wet then we will have to postpone the working bee but there is no reason why we cant have a meet n greet still.

Cheers

Rob

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2014, 09:27 AM
Have a great day guys.

rusty_nail
3rd May 2014, 10:17 AM
G'day Rusty.

Unfortunately we are outdoors so a cover would be great.

It has been raining this morning but it is slowing down and should stop rsining in the next hour or so.

I have tarps we can use as well.

We will see how we go.

If it is to wet then we will have to postpone the working bee but there is no reason why we cant have a meet n greet still.

Cheers

Rob

Happy to bring it mate maybe I'll get there earlyer and we can set it up it takes about 20 mins and I don't mind leaving it with you for a while

NissanGQ4.2
3rd May 2014, 07:41 PM
What an afternoon, it was pretty cool but the rain managed 2 stay away thankfully. We only managed 2 get 1 motor completely out, the other one does not have much 2 go before it will also come out, shame we didn't get them swapped over but think we did pretty well considering we had a late start and had a bit of a yarn before we got stuck into it.

Only Nic and I showed for this which was kinda disappointing :( believe ova50 was still in Canberra, don't know what happened 2 Keven07 and pbk1776.

Nice 2 finally meet you Rob and as I said I'm not far away if you need another hand 2 help out.

Great 2 catch up with Nic also, its been a while between beers. Awesome looking rig BTW Nic ( except it being a GU, but beats what you were originally thinking of buying )

A couple of happy snaps I took of the day

Checking out Nics new ride.............Could I be converted?

Rob and Nic doing all the work :)

Me dropping coolant all over the ground before undoing all the bolts that needing undoing on the underside...............good on Toddie you nob!

Random pics

44059 44058 44057 44056

Think the donor vehicle lived in a mud puddle, could not believe the amount of mud we had 2 remove 2 get 2 the engine mount bolts!

Robs motor getting ready to be removed

44054 44053

And its out :)

44052 44051

rusty_nail
3rd May 2014, 11:24 PM
Haha yeah it was a good arvo and I wish more people came and we had more time to do things. I'll attach a few pics also. Thanks Rob had a good time nice to meet you catch up soon at the next NSW meetup

kevin07
4th May 2014, 04:15 AM
unfortunately I was working due to the new and improved light rail not working.

rkinsey
5th May 2014, 11:16 AM
Nic and Todd,

Cant thank you boys enough for the time you spent giving me a hand with the engines. Although none of us had done this sort of thing before we gave it a red hot go and I learnt more about my patrol in one afternoon than I have over the past few years. Sorry it had to end and we didnt get to have the BBQ. I still owe you boys a feed and a beer or two.

No we didnt get the engines swapped out but we did get quite a lot achieved in the three hours we were working on the two engines.

Did you say mud.....? I dropped the gearbox cross member out and got about 5 Kg worth of dried up mud out of it. That adds to the 10KG that you boys dropped from the chassis!

I worked on the donner car yesterday and managed to remove the engine and gearbox by myself. Although there was a bit of maneuvering involved they eventually cleared the engine bay at about 3pm.

I have sold the gearbax and he has picked it up already.

I did try to put the doner engine into my GQ but just couldnt line up the splines on the main drive shaft in the gearbox. I got close though, about two inches before I could bolt the bell housing to the engine. But it is at least a two or three man job.

Could we organise another meet n greet? Maybe one in a couple of weeks time where we can put the doner motor in my GQ? Those that missed out on last weekend would be more than welcome to come along and anyone elst that would like to lend a hand.

Thanks again for all of your hard work and generosity in sparing your time. I hope I can return the favour in the future.

Nic, I think we should organise that camping trip for sometime this year. While soccer season is on we wont have the time to do a weekend camp but we should be good from October onwards. I'll start a thread.

Cheers,

Rob

rkinsey
5th May 2014, 11:18 AM
unfortunately I was working due to the new and improved light rail not working.

Its all good Kevin. Hopefully see you at the next one. I still have a bit more work to do to get the engine in the GQ.

Cheers,

Rob

Alitis007
5th May 2014, 12:11 PM
Well done guys, a top effort indeed. Try using a trolley jack to lift the gearbox up to line up with the motor also remove the engine mounts and brackets till you start 2 bolts in the bell housing. Also make sure the gearbox is in gear and the clutch is centered, it'll practically fall into place if you've done all that

rkinsey
5th May 2014, 12:45 PM
Well done guys, a top effort indeed. Try using a trolley jack to lift the gearbox up to line up with the motor also remove the engine mounts and brackets till you start 2 bolts in the bell housing. Also make sure the gearbox is in gear and the clutch is centered, it'll practically fall into place if you've done all that

Thanks for the tips Alitis. Will definately remember that when it comes time to install the motor.

Cheers,

Rob

NissanGQ4.2
5th May 2014, 05:05 PM
Yeh mate, just let me know day and time and I'll do my best 2 get there :)

Do you have soccer on every Sunday??? might be better 2 orginise on a Sunday if you don't. Starting at 1 doesn't leave many hrs in the day before the sun goes down.

Cheers

Toddie

rusty_nail
5th May 2014, 05:32 PM
Yeah more than happy to lend a hand again but starting at 1 is pretty late.I spent nearly as much time driving to and from your place asi did working on your car.

Also would love to go camping either in the exploder or the troll when it's up and running again. maybe I can show your son what real sport is(rugby union) =P

Cheers

Nic