PDA

View Full Version : Awesome sounding GQ petrol.....YES PETROL!!

boggy2006
2nd February 2011, 07:29 PM
Well, for all you non-believers I now have a great sounding petrol GQ!!!:tease:

I guess you'll have to take my word for it for now about the sound, but I've just had the middle muffler replaced with a small straight through muffler and I'm really pleased with the result. A really deep throbbing sound up to about 2500rpm, makes me want to drive at low revs all the time. Now I can finally hear the big 4.2 six as it should be.
It's not overpowering or stupidly loud, just a deep rumble. At higher rpm it seems to get quieter, but hard to tell with all the other GQ noises going on.

Here's a pic to wet your appetite in case you fancy doing it yourselves.

Bigrig
2nd February 2011, 07:32 PM
Yep, nothing like getting that rumble!! Just put pacemaker extractors and a 2.75" mandrel exhaust on mine, and like you, I just want to hang around 1st and 2nd gear all the time ...

Good stuff mate!!

boggy2006
2nd February 2011, 07:39 PM
Yep, nothing like getting that rumble!! Just put pacemaker extractors and a 2.75" mandrel exhaust on mine, and like you, I just want to hang around 1st and 2nd gear all the time ...

Good stuff mate!!

cheers! I bet that sounds good. That's pretty much what the garage suggested to me, but under 100 bucks just got me the muffler swapped. Best $95 spent in a while!!

Sir Roofy
2nd February 2011, 07:44 PM
Would be great to be young again,noisy pipes searching for that perfect note,just under the coppers radar for decibals,

roofy

AB
2nd February 2011, 08:34 PM
Would be great to be young again,noisy pipes searching for that perfect note,just under the coppers radar for decibals,

roofy

You can still do it now Roofy, c'mon mate relive your child hood..lol

Sir Roofy
2nd February 2011, 08:56 PM
Id like to mate but but not on petrol gas,not impressed with gas,you got to fill up when every thing is cool or you seem to get more vapors than liquid

boggy2006
2nd February 2011, 09:52 PM
Id like to mate but but not on petrol gas,not impressed with gas,you got to fill up when every thing is cool or you seem to get more vapors than liquid

could be something wrong with your gas set up, I manage to fill up with gas ok after a long run and 30degC and it takes the amount I expect it to into the tank.

ps. I'm not young, long time since I mod'd an exhaust, but that engine was just screaming (or not in this case) to be heard!

Sir Roofy
3rd February 2011, 11:00 AM
Maybe,but was tuned not long ago was out ot balance,air gas ratio,still getting 18.5l/100
its probably just me,i like to see the fuel going in not just hear it lol

boggy2006
3rd February 2011, 01:04 PM
your fuel economy on gas certainly seems ok.

Sir Roofy
3rd February 2011, 01:35 PM
Yes i keep a close eye on it --its the servos i dont like,forinstance you got a big tank sitting out in the blistering sun ,pipes running under hot cement and pumps some in the sun as well now those tanks cant be copletely sealed aye so some one has to be on the loseing end and its not them

Cadbury
4th February 2011, 12:15 PM
Hi all,
Besides giving it a good sound, does it do anything for fuel consumption and power?
Cheers
Cadbury

boggy2006
4th February 2011, 05:24 PM
don't know about fuel yet, will have to run it for a few weeks to get a reasonable average (traffic on my daily commute varies it from 16l/100k to 25l/100k anyway). Could be my imagination, but seems to accelerate better, particularly up to 2500rpm. Could be just because I'm lovin' the sound!!

Cadbury
4th February 2011, 05:28 PM
Man I think I need to twist the bank managers arm to allow me to go do it.
So you reckon any exhaust shop will do it

boggy2006
4th February 2011, 06:59 PM
I managed to find one close by that did exhausts for trucks and cars and could make stuff up (I could tell as they had tons of tubing and bending/flaring machines around). $95 was quite a bargain as that included the mufller, trying a couple of them, and about 1.5 hours of making up the piping and welding it. Check your insurance will cover it and don't make it so loud as to attract the wrong attention!!!

Clunk
4th February 2011, 08:08 PM
bring on the noise, if it's too loud then turn up the music.......... dooff dooff dooff

photodave
30th June 2011, 04:19 PM
If you have the old muffler lying around, cut it open and have a quick look inside. they are quite possibly the most restrictive thing on the planet.

Go the extractors next that will be the biggest difference to fuel/acceleration

nissan-nut
19th August 2011, 11:29 PM
Noise is not the answer to performance :) My GQ with TB42S turbo gas with 3" straight through exhaust is just a whisper! But 298 KW up front makes all the noise I want !!

ckhoile
24th April 2012, 02:03 PM
thanks will give this a go