PDA

View Full Version : Electric Brakes on a camper

Mitch.mccabe
25th February 2014, 12:22 AM
Hey guys,
So I just put a deposit on a new 2014 GIC Commando Black series camper, cheapy but we can afford. Anyway it comes with electric brakes. I've never had a trailer with electric brakes. So my question is, do I need to do anything to my 2013 patrol before I rock up and get my camper. I've heard of brake controllers but unsure of what the go is.. Any help is greatful

MudRunnerTD
25th February 2014, 12:41 AM
Yes you will need to have an Electric Brake controller installed in your car and wired into the 7 pin plug in the back yo control the brakes. you can adjust the bias and sensitivity and works great.

This is what you want mate

tekonsha prodigy P3 (http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=tekonsha+prodigy+p3&_frs=1)

jack
25th February 2014, 12:49 AM
Hi Mitch,

Check out this earlier thread on electric brake controllers
www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26169-Electric-Brake-Controller

kevin07
25th February 2014, 02:07 AM
get an Anderson plug fitted at the same time

threedogs
25th February 2014, 08:09 AM
Normally fitted in front of your left knee,
and X 2 on the rear Anderson plug to power your camper via your Aux battery

Mitch.mccabe
25th February 2014, 09:46 AM
See i dont have an aux battery set up yet, that is one of the next things i get done to the troll, will it matter?
Also is it something just any old auto electric will be able to fit? i live in a pretty remote place and the sparkies here are a bit old school

Bloodyaussie
25th February 2014, 09:48 AM
Mate it is only 4 wires and is very easy to fit your self with only basic tools...

Mitch.mccabe
25th February 2014, 10:02 AM
Hahaa did I mention that I'm a hopeless mechanic/sparky, I'll have a look on utube,

kevin07
25th February 2014, 11:46 AM
also make sure gic wire up a Anderson plug for you as well if you want you can drop in here for a cooly when you pick it up only 5 mins from gic

Mitch.mccabe
25th February 2014, 10:26 PM
Hey Kev, i'll keep that in mind, i'll let you know when I have my pick up date,

Snow Patrol
4th November 2014, 06:08 PM
Depending on the type of controller they can be fiddly to set up right but once done they can and will save your bacon. Our leccy trailer brakes were what finally stopped our old Prado on the Bloomfield track.