PDA

View Full Version : GQ - My GQ Project

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 02:41 PM
Hi guys,

ok so here she is. 92 GQ 3 inch EFS lift Maxxis bighorn tyres on 2 pac black rims. UHF with GME Ariel. I run her on LPG and petrol. Have a few issues that only timne and money will sort out but this is my first project thats not on 2 wheels :)

Bob
2nd February 2011, 02:45 PM
Nice looking Rig Ryan > What are your plans for the Trol

Sir Roofy
2nd February 2011, 02:53 PM
nice truck ryan how do you find the gas

roofy

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 02:53 PM
Well the wheels are sitting out 1 side so the sway bar in the boot is first or maybe new Pans front and rear. I want to throw racks on with a light bar or some smaller spotties. basically want to fit out for regular trips up the cape (QLD) and fraser trips. Also damn blown air box needs a slap and tickle...

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 02:55 PM
Gas is awsome. A saver of fuel I can believe how much she can drink

Baileys
2nd February 2011, 03:38 PM
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

AB
2nd February 2011, 04:04 PM
LIke the colour mate!

Dhuck
2nd February 2011, 04:34 PM
top rig mate.

patch697
2nd February 2011, 04:50 PM
Nice work you've done there Ryan, any tips for the would be DIYer's out there?

Thanks for the post & pics to mate, love the color with the tinted glass it looks wicked.

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 05:39 PM
Cheers mate. Not really advice just a comment. I have not come across 1 honest mechanic in Brisbane which sucks. There was a day before the last warning I would go back to he blokes and slap them around ahhhh well family first. I guess I have lived with trial and error when it comes to DIY but botched the Uhf in a big way. I really hope once I have sorted out my Air box issue alot of the lies I have been told will sort themselves out and not cost me any more money. I am one of manyh waiting till feb 20 when Millweld release the alloy box....

NissanGQ4.2
2nd February 2011, 05:56 PM
very nice looking Rig u have there Ryan

Bigrig
2nd February 2011, 07:22 PM
Mate - nice unit!! This one seriously could be Tank's (my rig) twin brother!!! LOL. Love the black rims and my missus has you to thank for me now getting mine powder coated ... Been wanting to do it for a while, but wasn't sure if the alloys looked better .. Nope, they don't!!!!

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 08:32 PM
Nah dont like alloys. SO I am glad I could help :)

Bigrig
2nd February 2011, 08:38 PM
Cheers mate. Not really advice just a comment. I have not come across 1 honest mechanic in Brisbane which sucks. There was a day before the last warning I would go back to he blokes and slap them around ahhhh well family first. I guess I have lived with trial and error when it comes to DIY but botched the Uhf in a big way. I really hope once I have sorted out my Air box issue alot of the lies I have been told will sort themselves out and not cost me any more money. I am one of manyh waiting till feb 20 when Millweld release the alloy box....

Hey mate - what side of town you on??? The guy I use is awesome - have recommended two others to him who've actually been there, and a third who is yet to head over - the two that went there were pleasantly surprised - top bloke, good service, good price and one of the old fashioned "I don't know" is a valid answer kind of guys, so if he doesn't know, he'll find out for you and not charge you for the learning he has to do .. NOTE: I am not associated financially, through family, etc in any way with his shop - I get no kick backs for referencing him (other than a coldie out of his fridge on a Friday arvo).

Side note - as per the other thread floating around the QLD section of Clubs and Events, any chance you'd be up for a weekend up at Landcruiser Mountain Park on the weekend of 5th and 6th March?? A few of us plus mates etc are heading up and you are obviously more than welcome to join in ...

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 08:43 PM
Im at Ascot/Hamilton on the northside would love to get away with the issues though does worry me. I did pine creek in bundy just after the big wet early jan car shit itself with the airbox cauding all sorts of hassles. I was really upset was looking forward to show the boys up ended up shaking down hil smashing the arse end.

Bigrig
2nd February 2011, 08:47 PM
Im at Ascot/Hamilton on the northside would love to get away with the issues though does worry me. I did pine creek in bundy just after the big wet early jan car shit itself with the airbox cauding all sorts of hassles. I was really upset was looking forward to show the boys up ended up shaking down hil smashing the arse end.

If you at least want someone to give it a full once over and give you a no bullsh!t assessment of where its at, then this guy is the go ... he can obviously do a full service etc for you whilst its there - I am happy to meet you there also for introduction - your call mate - but I would drive past 10 mechanics to come back to this guy if we ever moved ...

That way - you'll be right for the Landcruiser trip !!!! LOL

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 08:50 PM
LOL yeah thats true. ok could I please grab the details and I will get down for a full once over.

Bigrig
2nd February 2011, 09:04 PM
No worries - I'll PM you his details and let me know when you book it in and I'll come down and meet with you and introduce him ... I get to see your rig in the flesh then and show Tank his long lost relative!!! LOL

Bigrig
2nd February 2011, 09:06 PM
No worries - I'll PM you his details and let me know when you book it in and I'll come down and meet with you and introduce him ... I get to see your rig in the flesh then and show Tank his long lost relative!!! LOL

BTW - being you are on the other side of town, he'll probably lend you his hire car for the day so you can get around - don't get too excited, it's a POS falcon, but better than getting the bus!!!

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 09:26 PM
cheers mate sounds good.

Woof
2nd February 2011, 09:38 PM
Very nice GQ there Ryan, it's a credit to you mate.

Bigrig
2nd February 2011, 10:52 PM
Only just picked up that it's a 92 - same as mine. Bloody nora, your panels are straight by the look of those photos !!!!! Mine isn't too bad, but there isn't a perfect panel on it ...

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 11:55 PM
well when your as ugly as me you learn your better side of the photos lol so I made sure she didnt need to blush so I didnt show her bottom

Clunk
3rd February 2011, 01:31 AM
nice rig mate, like the idea of powder coating the wheels black, might have to do the ol' copy cat thing and have a bit of a shop round over here

Airstrike
3rd February 2011, 04:51 AM
Anyone know where I can get flares? mine are falling apart. Just my OCD :)

Bigrig
3rd February 2011, 08:43 AM
PM Nizzbits on the forum - he may be able to get you a set ... deals in genuine parts.

Airstrike
3rd February 2011, 10:03 AM
cheers. I need wider than usual. but then again might just be the offset due to the Sway bar missing I need a new set of Pan rods :( here comes the money....

XLR8
3rd February 2011, 12:22 PM
Try these guys. http://www.frp.com.au/productlist.php

They do the extra wide ones and when I priced them a couple of years ago they were around $250 for a set plus freight. Much cheaper than genuine

YNOT
3rd February 2011, 01:56 PM
Sway bars have no effect on where the wheels sit in relation to the body or chassis, that's the job of the panhard rods.

If you're after cheap flares there are always "Bunnings" flares. Plastic garden edging that comes in various colors and widths.

Tony

Airstrike
3rd February 2011, 02:09 PM
ah yes panhard rods I was meant to say the name lost me in translation.

Tornado
3rd February 2011, 03:14 PM
That's a pretty neat truck.

Airstrike
3rd February 2011, 04:12 PM
Cheers mate what are you mowing around in?

Tornado
3rd February 2011, 04:41 PM
I'm without a patrol currently. Had a MQ a few yrs ago. Had to sell to get my rodeo a few yrs back as it was more practical at the time. Keeping an eye out currently for another patrol. If I can find at the right price

Airstrike
3rd February 2011, 04:43 PM
good luck I heard WA is GQ country and they are all over the joint

Woof
3rd February 2011, 05:18 PM
Anyone know where I can get flares? mine are falling apart. Just my OCD :)

You can't beat the old Bunnings flares, got them on my GQ.

Dhuck
3rd February 2011, 05:23 PM
Great old garden edging. Is what I have.

Airstrike
3rd February 2011, 10:24 PM
To bunnings I go. so just looking for garden edging? Or are they sold as flares? Don’t want to confuse them and they are so easily confused.. :)

YNOT
3rd February 2011, 10:30 PM
It's just rolls of garden edging. Measure up your wheel arches to work out what length you need, I think from memory 6 meters is enough.
And yes, if you walk in and ask for Bunnings flares they will probably send you home with those citronella garden flare things.

Tony

KINGRAT502
5th February 2011, 12:42 PM
i agree,,love the color mate,,

Airstrike
15th July 2011, 03:03 AM
Well its been a while and I have not done much. I installed a new EFS 3 inch as the old was sagging. I have storage now in the back and new engine bits and pieces. Pictures will be up shortly

Clunk
15th July 2011, 03:21 AM
Well its been a while and I have not done much. I installed a new EFS 3 inch as the old was sagging. I have storage now in the back and new engine bits and pieces. Pictures will be up shortly

shortly!!!!!!!!!! come on mate pull your finger out....... its been 15 minutes already and still nothing!!!!! hahahahahaha

Airstrike
15th July 2011, 03:40 AM
I added some cheap 100W lights on the roof incase they get ripped off like last set. and I got a cheap basket and racks. I hve a new storage system for the back with 8 draws and 2 x 25l water jerry cans and a fridge slide.

Airstrike
15th July 2011, 03:43 AM
This little beauty courtesy of member Ferret (thank you) is on its way to me YAY

patch697
15th July 2011, 03:45 AM
Woohoo you got ther.......lol

Looks the goods mate..... That storage system one of those removable Jobies?

Airstrike
15th July 2011, 03:46 AM
Yeah but will take about an hour and a half to get in and out.

patch697
15th July 2011, 03:51 AM
Yeah but will take about an hour and a half to get in and out.

At least this way you gotta ripper storage system & with a little work & time you can have your wagon back if you need it.

Smart I think.

How much of a difference you find the roof top light make off road?

Airstrike
15th July 2011, 03:53 AM
I havenet had these off road yet but I have a Hilux with same set up. its one of those how did I survive without this things. Not too much light but a good 500 metres

patch697
15th July 2011, 03:55 AM
I havenet had these off road yet but I have a Hilux with same set up. its one of those how did I survive without this things. Not too much light but a good 500 metres

yeah but just what you need out in the scrub. Top stuff mate.

Clunk
15th July 2011, 03:58 AM
nice work there Ryan, plenty of storage too mate

Bigrig
15th July 2011, 07:46 AM
Who's been a busy boy then?!!! lmao

Looks good mate - can't wait to see patch in the flesh tomorrow!!

Airstrike
15th July 2011, 01:41 PM
Yeah slowly chipping away at it. Now I have to put the flares on before the meetup.

growler2058
15th July 2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah slowly chipping away at it. Now I have to put the flares on before the meetup.

Looks like a good useable storage system Ryan. Did ya go the bunnings flares

Airstrike
15th July 2011, 02:03 PM
I got the bushranger 75mm flares. I am thinking about using pop riv's to sort it

growler2058
15th July 2011, 03:04 PM
I've got the same mate I had issues with the sprung steel wire insert coming out so pulled em out after a couple of months pushin em back in and riveted hoop iron to the inside which does the trick

Airstrike
15th July 2011, 03:09 PM
Thats a good idea didnt think of the hoop iron.

growler2058
15th July 2011, 06:43 PM
Thats a good idea didnt think of the hoop iron.

I only did this after wifey ripped a pair of pants walkin past otherwise I may have persisted pushin em back in every coupla weeks with pliers n soapy water

nowoolies
15th July 2011, 09:14 PM
top looking rig Ryan

Airstrike
21st July 2011, 06:21 PM
HID's on A GU with ARB Bull bar