PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Nug Nug?

mudski
23rd February 2014, 10:24 PM
Thinking of dragging the camper up there this coming long weekend. It's on the road from Mansfield to Myrtelford on the Buffalo river. Found a few reviews and all looks good. Just wondering if anyone here has been there.

Cheers.

Cuppa
23rd February 2014, 10:35 PM
Not for a while, but used to go there for a Triumph motorcycle rally each year. Nice little campground, but I prefer the less civilised bush camping a bit further on, down along the Buffalo River Road just out of Mrytleford . Turn right at the little roundabout on Bright Road. Follow the bitumen until it becomes dirt, & then follow the dirt, river on your left, plenty of camp spots. Used to have an annual Moto Guzzi Owners rally along there.

EDIT: I made a mistake, faulty memory. The bush camping to which I refer is not on the Buffalo River rd as described. Rather it is on the Buckland Valley Road. Continue through Myrtleford & on to Porepunkah. Turn right at Porepunkah, follow the bitumen until it becomes dirt & then follow the dirt, river on your left. Plenty of good camp spots all along the river. Apologies for mistake.

MudRunnerTD
23rd February 2014, 11:25 PM
Not for a while, but used to go there for a Triumph motorcycle rally each year. Nice little campground, but I prefer the less civilised bush camping a bit further on, down along the Buffalo River Road just out of Mrytleford . Turn right at the little roundabout on Bright Road. Follow the bitumen until it becomes dirt, & then follow the dirt, river on your left, plenty of camp spots. Used to have an annual Moto Guzzi Owners rally along there.

Bloody Hell Cuppa!! I reckon you and I may have had a drink together mate!

I was a founding member of the Geelong branch of the TOMCC Triumph Owners Motor Cycle Club.

The club had the Annual National Rally there for a few years. Great spot. Pretty close the town and there is a river there. I oly went there on the bike and went there to Drink and Party. Fairly large area though and you will find a good spot to setup camp Mark.

Cuppa
24th February 2014, 07:05 AM
Quite possible MR! I went a few times. You might remember the likes of Clarky (Freckles), Gorgy, Cat, Leanne, & other Gippsland identities?

Possibly even more likely at the British Rally back when it was held near Dunkeld, then later at Newstead?
Or maybe the Tumbarumba rallies (Empire Strikes Back)?

I was a TOMCC member back in the UK, but never joined here. I recollect one particular Geelong member with multi coloured hair, can't remember his name though, wasn't you was it?

Cuppa

Cuppa
24th February 2014, 11:11 AM
Note EDIT to my earlier post re camp spots.

mudski
24th February 2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys. I was thinking of going to Lake Catani but from memory the camping spots are tiny and not real good for a camper trailer. Especially mine as its just over 5 metres long without pulling out the annex. I think I'll give Nug Nug a shot and see what its like.

MudRunnerTD
24th February 2014, 11:32 AM
Quite possible MR! I went a few times. You might remember the likes of Clarky (Freckles), Gorgy, Cat, Leanne, & other Gippsland identities?

Possibly even more likely at the British Rally back when it was held near Dunkeld, then later at Newstead?
Or maybe the Tumbarumba rallies (Empire Strikes Back)?

I was a TOMCC member back in the UK, but never joined here. I recollect one particular Geelong member with multi coloured hair, can't remember his name though, wasn't you was it?

Cuppa

Hey Cuppa, i got to Dunkeld a couple of times and it was a great Rally. never got to Newstead, think i was off the bike by then. Empire Strikes Back was run by TOMCC NSW and was a great gig, only got there once but had a blast. I was in the TOMCC from 1997 through to about 2001. I had a big crash that changes my world a little. Can remember anyone with loud hair from the Geelong group. Most of the guys from Geelong rode Thunderbirds except me, i was on a Strontium Gold T595 Daytona (Only one in the Club at that time) I liked going Fast ;) I was around when Byro was the President before he was killed in 2002.

Happy days mate, met some great folks riding then. Great people from all over. I do recall that our club admired that there was a group that came from Gippsland to Nug Nug. Must have been you. Small World Cuppa.

Cuppa
24th February 2014, 01:12 PM
Yeah I met Byro.
Tumba was an annual 4 day run (party) that we did for a number of years.
Reckon I did 12 or 13 british rallies, on again soon at Newstead, but always preferred the Dunkeld ones. Has become a big affair these days.
Small world indeed.
I have a Daytona too ....... but of the 1974 variety.

Sorry for the hijack Mudski ...... have a great break wherever you end up camping.

BillsGU
24th February 2014, 01:16 PM
Have been to Nug Nug before Mudski. Its a very basic camp ground and quite cheap to stay. They do have a web site with information. If you do follow Cuppa's advice and go to the Buckland - don't turn right at Porpunkah as that will take you to Mt Buffalo. Just go straight through the large roundabout and that is the Buckland Valley road. If you go in there and proceed just over 20 km from the bridge (where the road turns to dirt) you will get to Beveridge's Station. There are plenty of large free camp spots right on the river. There are no facillities - you will need your own toilet set up. The road is quite good dirt. I have no problem getting my caravan down there.

mudski
24th February 2014, 01:57 PM
Been past there but never stopped. As for the other place. Do they have toilets? Doesn't worry me but with the wife and two daughters it may pose an issue.

Bob
24th February 2014, 02:18 PM
Been past there but never stopped. As for the other place. Do they have toilets? Doesn't worry me but with the wife and two daughters it may pose an issue.

Look at this Link Mudski

http://www.nugnugreserve.com.au/

BillsGU
24th February 2014, 02:49 PM

Nug Nug has toilets and cold showers - but Bevridge's has no facillities what so ever.

Cuppa
24th February 2014, 03:18 PM
don't turn right at Porpunkah as that will take you to Mt Buffalo. Just go straight through the large roundabout and that is the Buckland Valley road.

Yep, that’s what I meant.:1087:

BillsGU
24th February 2014, 04:33 PM
Yep, that’s what I meant.:1087:

I knew you did :harhar:

mudski
24th February 2014, 05:52 PM
Look at this Link Mudski

http://www.nugnugreserve.com.au/

Thanks Bob. I have looked at that site and others but I like to hear what people think of the place. I think for now we will go there and we'll go for a drive around to find more. Now I got the camper I have no/ very little excuse for not using it.

Bob
24th February 2014, 07:06 PM
Have a good trip Mate. That is a great part of Victoria

mudski
24th February 2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks Bob. It certainly is. I have always said if I were to more to the sticks, Bright and the surrounding area's is the only place I would go. I used to love it when I had to work up there for two weeks at a time.

BillsGU
25th February 2014, 09:35 AM
Don't forget to take the kids to the Maze at Wandiligong.

http://wandimaze.com.au/

mudski
25th February 2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks mate. Looks like a plan

Hodge
25th February 2014, 09:40 PM
Now I know where Nug nug is Mark, when you mentioned it to me the other day. It rang a bell as the , missus mentioned that maze somewhere in mt buffalo. And i remember plotting a trip up to blue rag range while we were up there as that is my #1 to do in the VHC before I do anything else. Missus isnt a fan of heights, so I was gonna dump here with some friends in bright while I go do some exploring.
Looks like a beautiful bit of land to go nosing around in. very jealous mate! You'll enjoy it.

mudski
26th February 2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah I wont be putting the muddies on though as we will be by ourselves so it will just be a camp and relax weekend.