PDA

View Full Version : Servicing your winch

pickers
23rd February 2014, 07:00 PM
Hi guys
Need to service my winch as the handle is way to tight to move in to free spool.
What is the best grease to use in servicing a winch .
Is something like bel ray waterproof grease the go ,
Thanks matt

P4trol
23rd February 2014, 07:41 PM
Waterproof is good. Marine grease.

Of course you'll learn how to swear better when you have to strip it down next time it is serviced, but it will preserve the winch.

Best way to get the marine grease off is to wear disposable gloves and scrape as much off with a bread and butter knife/paddle pop stick. Then wipe with rags. Then use your parts washer etc.

MudRunnerTD
23rd February 2014, 08:21 PM
Strip it and it will become clear why its tight. probably got contaminated grease from water ingress. it has to come out and be opened up and sorted for sure.

megatexture
23rd February 2014, 09:56 PM
And don't over pack it with grease more isn't better as then the gear won't engage a swell ...As I have previously found out.

pickers
24th February 2014, 05:06 PM
Looks like the water in coming in from under the handle .

Apples
13th June 2017, 06:14 PM
Hi all im new to servicing a winch. I read the warn maintenance they put machine oil in some parts is it better to grease it all or the way they are saying with oil and grease.
I have a warn xd9000 winch.

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2017, 06:31 PM
Hi all im new to servicing a winch. I read the warn maintenance they put machine oil in some parts is it better to grease it all or the way they are saying with oil and grease.
I have a warn xd9000 winch.

Hi Apples,

What manual are you reading for the machine oil? Is that for your XD9 or for the W8274?

Apples
13th June 2017, 06:46 PM
Hi Apples,

What manual are you reading for the machine oil? Is that for your XD9 or for the W8274?

It was the xd9 mate. Is that not the right one? I got it off here

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2017, 06:52 PM

Let me have a look on my phone, I will down load it. What page?

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2017, 06:58 PM

There seems to be 2. Which one are you using

Apples
13th June 2017, 07:13 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/warn-...k-8k-xd9-1.pdf

This one mate.

DX grunt
13th June 2017, 08:17 PM
Following.

I've got a winch, but never used it in anger. Actually, I've never used it in 7 years. lol - for those that know me. PML

MudRunnerTD
14th June 2017, 08:31 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/warn-...k-8k-xd9-1.pdf

This one mate.

Hi Apples, I had look through the manual and yes it mentions Gear Oil. The gear Oil will have a thinner viscosity and will work better in the fast moving parts where they have recommended it.

Interesting actually. I rebuilt my lowmount and just used CV grease everywhere, when I put it on the car and unlocked the free spool I couldn't pull out the rope. The slip friction from the thick grease locked it up. I stripped out the winch and swapped the CV grease for I think LMM grease to those moving parts and it made a huge difference. Next time I strip it out I will use gear oil.

When in doubt read the manual.......

Apples
14th June 2017, 12:55 PM
Haha sweet ill give it a go and see how it works. Thanks for the info mudrunnerTD

shantillylais
27th August 2017, 10:09 PM
I have just finished servicing my Runva 11xp Premium winch, that is only 18 months old. When I first purchased the winch, I opened up the gearbox and cleaned out the factory grease which I was advised to do from others who had bought winches. My previous experiences with winches were all mechanical/gearbox driven.
Anyway the reason I needed to service it was because the clutch handle had "jammed", it couldn't be moved in either direction. I had researched this problem, and found that some other Runva users had problems with water ingress through the clutch shaft under the handle. When I disassembled the gearbox and washed it out, there were signs of a very small amount of corrosion on the lock cylinder and on the main drum gear. The grease was only slightly emulsified. After 2 hours of swearing and heaps of inox and freeze spray, I eventually got the shaft out of the gearbox housing. It had rusted solid in the spring chamber. The shaft is pitted but the plunger is still ok. In the exploded diagram that Runva provide, there is no mention of a seal. I have emailed them for their input and possible warranty claim, since it is supposed to be ip67 rated. In the meantime, I have put it all back together with the spring chamber packed with grease. I will upload pics later, I have to work out how to downsize them (computer technically challenged here LOL). Anyway hope that may help others to remember to check that area as well as other usual servicing when having been in water. cheers Lana

Hodge
28th August 2017, 08:20 AM
I have just finished servicing my Runva 11xp Premium winch, that is only 18 months old. When I first purchased the winch, I opened up the gearbox and cleaned out the factory grease which I was advised to do from others who had bought winches. My previous experiences with winches were all mechanical/gearbox driven.
Anyway the reason I needed to service it was because the clutch handle had "jammed", it couldn't be moved in either direction. I had researched this problem, and found that some other Runva users had problems with water ingress through the clutch shaft under the handle. When I disassembled the gearbox and washed it out, there were signs of a very small amount of corrosion on the lock cylinder and on the main drum gear. The grease was only slightly emulsified. After 2 hours of swearing and heaps of inox and freeze spray, I eventually got the shaft out of the gearbox housing. It had rusted solid in the spring chamber. The shaft is pitted but the plunger is still ok. In the exploded diagram that Runva provide, there is no mention of a seal. I have emailed them for their input and possible warranty claim, since it is supposed to be ip67 rated. In the meantime, I have put it all back together with the spring chamber packed with grease. I will upload pics later, I have to work out how to downsize them (computer technically challenged here LOL). Anyway hope that may help others to remember to check that area as well as other usual servicing when having been in water. cheers Lana
Is your Runva winch the one like in this picture ???

Because I'm about to do the same to mine . Except mines very stiff on freespool. But I've got warranty grounds there too so I can just send it in .
But id like to do it my self to learn the ins and outs of it. See my thread about it here.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=40664
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/328.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hodge
28th August 2017, 08:34 AM
Also where did you get the blown up schematic of the winch from Runva ?

mudski
28th August 2017, 10:24 AM
Is your Runva winch the one like in this picture ???

Because I'm about to do the same to mine . Except mines very stiff on freespool. But I've got warranty grounds there too so I can just send it in .
But id like to do it my self to learn the ins and outs of it. See my thread about it here.

My old TJM OX winch is stiff on free spool. Even after I serviced it. So I left it thinking thats how they are. I think I've used my winch maybe five times in five years. Everytime for bog holes. Now I just go around those.

Hodge
28th August 2017, 01:57 PM
I don't think it's right. Free spool should be "free" spool . When I contacted Runva first thing he asked was have I unwound the rope all the way out and back in to get everything lubed up inside , every 4-6 weeks like suggested in the manual .

AB
28th August 2017, 05:52 PM
Just serviced mine yesterday and the gear oil was milky damn it!!!

shantillylais
28th August 2017, 10:28 PM
Hello Hodge, yes that is the one, when I bought the winch 18 months ago, it had the wrong booklet in the box so I contacted them, and they emailed me a correct one. The diagram is in that. I am trying to work out how to attach a pdf and then I could post it here.

shantillylais
28th August 2017, 10:29 PM
that is the condition of my clutch pin and its 18 months old

shantillylais
28th August 2017, 10:44 PM
Hodge I did actually read that thread some time ago, and took on board what some said about too much grease etc. I only smeared grease on the surfaces of the gears pins and other touching parts, and individually each component moved easily. The hardest part to move collectively was the new clutch and brake within its housing behind that huge circlip. I believe after doing this service ( this is the 3rd in 18 months) that it is the clutch part that makes free spooling so hard. When I get down to the second last layer of rope, I simply can't move it, I have to use the motor. Guys may have less trouble, dont really know.
I should also say that I have just opened my email to find that pdf and had an email there from Runva today. I have sent them what they want in pics and receipt, so hope to hear back soon.
If you pm me your email, I could send you the pdf, but its almost 3mb so dont want to attach it here, unless someone can tell me how without it turning out HUGE like my last pic LOL. cheers Lana

mudski
29th August 2017, 07:39 AM
I don't think it's right. Free spool should be "free" spool . When I contacted Runva first thing he asked was have I unwound the rope all the way out and back in to get everything lubed up inside , every 4-6 weeks like suggested in the manual .

Yeah right! Im lucky to even look at mine every 4-6 months. Lol.

Just serviced mine yesterday and the gear oil was milky damn it!!!

Yeah that means its stuffed then. Better give it to me.:D