PDA

View Full Version : Pyro/Boost/ + Extra?

NotTortoise
23rd February 2014, 04:59 PM
Hey guys,

I have been digging around the forum and have made my decision (I think?) on buying an Autron gauge for the GU 4.2t.

The problems that I haven't been able to quite satisfy are:

a/ The triple function gauge comes with EGT and Boost with either an optional pressure or temperature readout. What should I go with after EGT and Boost. Oil pressure?, Radiator Temp?, Trans Temp?

b/ What should I be setting my alarm for on these scales? For Boost in PSI?, For EGT in Co?

Thanks in advance,

Cam

BillsGU
23rd February 2014, 07:43 PM
a) I went with the ammeter. Easy to fit as it is an inductive pick up. It is just a torroid that fits over the battery cable.

b) Boost does not matter (on a ZD30 anyway) because if you exceed the boost maximum you will just go into limp home mode. Not sure about the 4.2. EGT I have set at 600. Aluminium melts at about 720 so at about 600 (in my opinion) you need to back off.

NotTortoise
23rd February 2014, 08:36 PM
Keen eyes mate, didn't even see the amps as an option.

Is that just to check the the altenator is working?

BillsGU
23rd February 2014, 09:47 PM
Keen eyes mate, didn't even see the amps as an option.

Is that just to check the the altenator is working?

Yep - It's a much better indicator than a voltmeter - if you know how to read it. I like it and it works for me. It gave me an indication some months ago that my battery was on the way out. It showed zero charge even though the volts were good - but I knew I had used some of the battery charge and it should have shown at least a few amps charge. Got the battery checked at the auto elec - and it was stuffed. Could have let me down in the middle of nowhere .......................

NotTortoise
23rd February 2014, 10:51 PM
That sounds like a go-er. Does the meter read volts or amps?

I suppose that they might explain it with the kit?

BillsGU
24th February 2014, 12:32 PM
That sounds like a go-er. Does the meter read volts or amps?

I suppose that they might explain it with the kit?

The gauge is a combined Boost and EGT. The optional digital readout in the centre reads Amps.

NotTortoise
24th February 2014, 12:51 PM
The gauge is a combined Boost and EGT. The optional digital readout in the centre reads Amps.

Thanks mate, I think you're onto a winner there. Would you happen to have a picture of you're setup?

Does the GU have a dash light dimmer? Can you wire the gauge through the dimmer as I understand they can be a touch bright for night driving?

I am thinking of changing the dash lights to red to make night driving a little easier also, as I tend to struggle with dash lights catching my eye on long night drives. Any idea wether you can change the back light colour on the gauges?

Sorry for all the questions, I won't be able to get to my new car until late April, so i'm trying to get my head around it without hands-on, which i'm struggling with.

threedogs
24th February 2014, 01:57 PM
The dash lights will be T10 led push in jobs as for colour of the
gauges they may supply coloured caps in the kit you fit onto the led

BillsGU
24th February 2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks mate, I think you're onto a winner there. Would you happen to have a picture of you're setup?

Does the GU have a dash light dimmer? Can you wire the gauge through the dimmer as I understand they can be a touch bright for night driving?

I am thinking of changing the dash lights to red to make night driving a little easier also, as I tend to struggle with dash lights catching my eye on long night drives. Any idea wether you can change the back light colour on the gauges?

Sorry for all the questions, I won't be able to get to my new car until late April, so i'm trying to get my head around it without hands-on, which i'm struggling with.

I have hooked the gauges to the GUs dash light dimmer. Some think it is still too bright and Autron also sells a second dimmer. I also bought a pillar pod from Autron to put the gauges in. Prices you can get off their web site. I have had mine for some time and don't remember.
You can change the colour of the gauges easily via a program button. I think there are nine or so different colours - again its been a while - but their web site should have all that sort of information.

The Autron gauges are not cheap, but they are the only ones I have found that do everything I wanted.

NotTortoise
24th February 2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks threedogs. I'm not sure which series my one is (99 GU)

Any ideas how many I would need?

NotTortoise
9th March 2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the help so far.

I have now been toying with the idea if using a temp sensor to monitor cooling temps. I'm kinda thinking that if I'm going to do it once, then I should do it right the first time.

a) Has anybody fitted a surface temperature sender in case of a loss of coolant? Would this setup be more thorough then the radiator hose adaptor setup? If so where would you the sender?

b) has anybody fitted the pyro pre-turbo, straight into the middle if the manifold? Is there a splitter that you need to mount in the middle of?

Thanks,

Cam

MudRunnerTD
9th March 2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the help so far.

I have now been toying with the idea if using a temp sensor to monitor cooling temps. I'm kinda thinking that if I'm going to do it once, then I should do it right the first time.

a) Has anybody fitted a surface temperature sender in case of a loss of coolant? Would this setup be more thorough then the radiator hose adaptor setup? If so where would you the sender?

b) has anybody fitted the pyro pre-turbo, straight into the middle if the manifold? Is there a splitter that you need to mount in the middle of?

Thanks,

Cam

Hi Cam,

I had my pyro pre turbo for a while and the temps were much higher and tended to spike up more often, much more variation. To be honest it did my head in. I have now moved my pyro to post turbo and have temps consistent with everyone else and can use the same bench marks as everyone else in discussions and setting s re optimal temp range.

Sherro
9th March 2014, 11:03 AM
Hi Cam if your going Autron gauges jump on their web site and have a look at their internet only specials they have a couple nice kits for gu's there.

Sherro

NotTortoise
9th March 2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks Sherro. I've looked at the kits and the look like a good idea, but they aren't quite what i'm looking for. I like the triple display so that I can see all of my data one simple gauge. I would like to go the dual battery road soon, and when I do i might mount the battery gauge a bit out of the way compared to my first gauge, so the pillar pod might be a waste too.

Sherro
9th March 2014, 01:34 PM
No worries Cam i have the triple function boost/pyro great gauge but the pyro kicks off at 300c i'm going back to the new dual function gauge so the pyro runs full sweep with digital boost read out i also have the dual battery gauge and the lighting controller as i don't have a dimming circuit works a treat the gauges are very bright with out a dimmer at night.

Cheers Sherro

NotTortoise
9th March 2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks Mudrunner. If you were using a gauge with peak hold, would that have helped smooth out the spikes that you came across? I suppose you raise a good point that if I do it the same as everybody else on the forum it wouuld be more useful down the track seeking advice. I like the way you think.

NotTortoise
9th March 2014, 01:39 PM
Sherro, I didn't even consider the low cut off. Are the ones they are selling now the same?

Sherro
9th March 2014, 01:47 PM
Yes Cam the triple function gauges haven't changed they only released a new dual function boost/pyro the pyro runs 0-1000 deg with digital boost read out. The main reason i went autron was because i didn't want an overload on gauges in the cab.

Sherro