PDA

View Full Version : How many cryovac meals ??

threedogs
23rd February 2014, 01:23 PM
Just wondering how many have a cryovac machine, and is it worth investing in one,
good points,,bad points ??

Clunk
23rd February 2014, 01:29 PM
Don't ave one but want to get one, use I'll for home as well as keeping stuff fresher for camping.
Helps prevent freezer burn on meets

Sir Roofy
23rd February 2014, 01:36 PM
The wife is a great one for this
makes your meat last longer and
ideal for rice meals and curries
when camping

MudRunnerTD
23rd February 2014, 01:37 PM
Have one but rarely use it. Was going to use it at home but its a pain in the butt. I use ziplock bags for Everything at home and its great, everything in the freezer is in ziplocks. Cooked rice stacks great in ziplock sandwich size bags in the freezer.

For camping though its very good for pre cooking meals. For touring though I buy the best meat with the longest used buy at the last stop before heading remote, upto 2 weeks in the fridge without trouble.

They are getting cheaper and cheaper. Pre cooking meals is really all I use mine for.

oncedisturbed
23rd February 2014, 01:49 PM
Yup, I have 2 different cryovac machines.

1 is a ziplock version (portable) and the other is a standard one that heat seal s the end.

Worth every bit and come in handy for anything, use it heaps for packaging my jerky I make.

macca86
23rd February 2014, 01:51 PM
I'd love one for my hunting trips and farm kills. Be handy for pre cooked meals too

TPC
23rd February 2014, 02:23 PM
I have had one for a few years and its well wort it.
When i go remote camping i will prepare meals and cryovac them and they keep very well in the fridge and easier to pack.

ova50
23rd February 2014, 02:28 PM
Just wondering how many have a cryovac machine, and is it worth investing in one,
good points,,bad points ??

Have had one for a number of years. Have only used it for meat products.
We freeze any meat products first. Then use the cryovac. Otherwise it looks likes it been in a hydraulic press, and I wondered if juices are being sucked into the pump.

From my understanding the pump on most brands will continue to operate and then the machine will seal.
Sunbeam use to make one that had a manual switch for the pump that allowed you to control how much vacuum to use, but at the time I think it was up towards the $200.
The one we use, cost about $90 at the time, it can seal, with or without vacuum. Does the job well and worth the money.
Ours will take the plastic rolls up to 30cm wide.

Have heard of people using them to keep greased spare wheel bearings.
Note: Not recommended for cakes

threedogs
23rd February 2014, 03:00 PM
4092240923having my OP soon so after that Im taking off for a while. seems sensible to cryovac in meal sizes. save a lot of waist as well.
I've tried a few of those meals from 4WD TV and yeah not bad, even tried the lamb shank in a bag job. Any brand to avoid??
Like most I love my roasts but if only me and maybe another that's a lot of meat for one meal, could batter and deep fry the left overs.
Just got an alloy camp over I'm dying to try.

BigRAWesty
23rd February 2014, 03:06 PM
Have one but rarely use it. Was going to use it at home but its a pain in the butt. I use ziplock bags for Everything at home and its great, everything in the freezer is in ziplocks. Cooked rice stacks great in ziplock sandwich size bags in the freezer.

For camping though its very good for pre cooking meals. For touring though I buy the best meat with the longest used buy at the last stop before heading remote, upto 2 weeks in the fridge without trouble.

They are getting cheaper and cheaper. Pre cooking meals is really all I use mine for.

X2 exactly..

MudRunnerTD
23rd February 2014, 03:12 PM
Whenever I cook rice at home I alway cook a large batch then put the left over into sandwich ziplock page and they are perfect size for me and the 2 kids for one meal. From the freezer to the microwave for 3 minutes and ready to serve.

As others have said mate the cryovacs are great for meat. Most butchers will cryovacs for you too.

Precooked cryovacs meals are simply perfect for long distance touring. Put the cryo vac sack into boiling water to reheat then use the water to wash your dishes ;)

Winnie
23rd February 2014, 05:16 PM
I wanna get one before the Simpson trip for precooked meals

BigRAWesty
23rd February 2014, 06:35 PM
Do we have a camp oven meal thread??
Was just thinking meat balls would be an awesome Chrio mean..

MEGOMONSTER
23rd February 2014, 06:42 PM
I use mine all the time for keeping my fresh fish, fresh in the freezer. I open a bag 2 months later and tastes like it was frozen for a day.
All my meats are brought home and cryo'ed. Well vacuum sealed.
And it is a good idea to freeze your products first then seal so the shapes remain intact end.

growler2058
23rd February 2014, 06:57 PM
This discussions on another forum heres a link to what some blokes are using http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/food-vacuum-sealer/?view_desktop=true

oncedisturbed
23rd February 2014, 08:09 PM
I picked up 1 from Supercrap for $60 just before Xmas, there bags are crap but snag 2 x long generic rolls off Fleabay for around $15 delivered.

Also use a dehydrator for all sorts of stuff mainly jerky and fruit

megatexture
23rd February 2014, 11:05 PM
We just get our butcher to do it for a small fee as we only do it on big trips (3+weeks)its not worth buying one

my third 256
24th February 2014, 08:25 AM
also it reduces the space required for the original packaging
love my sunbeem use all the time
when doing food that has gravy in it freez first then cryovac
we do soups that way and stews and stewed fruits
have also done ice cubes when going to parties no mess
and when defrosted just refreez

megatexture
24th February 2014, 08:44 AM
You need ice ?

BigRAWesty
24th February 2014, 09:45 AM
We have the sunbeam one too.

Its difficult to get good vacs on things like ham legs and large items, but I think that's more to the bag struggling to wrap around it. Next time I'll try heating the bags to 40 degrees to make them more maluble..

But good idea on freezing the liquids first. Was wondering how people didn't make a mess.. Lol

liftlid
24th February 2014, 09:52 AM
Cryo vac are great keeps food fresh for weeks in the fridge without freezing, if you are freezing the meal, freeze it in a tub the best size for packing in the freezer eg 2 across the fridge then vac it, that way it makes the best use of space in the fridge.

threedogs
22nd June 2015, 10:10 AM
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-wed-24-jun/wednesday-detail-wk-26/ps/p/vacuum-food-sealer-2/
Aldi have this on sale this week, its half the price of the one Im watching on Ebay
Any good??