PDA

View Full Version : winch mount question

boggy2006
2nd February 2011, 10:52 AM
hi,

I'm looking for a winch bar for my GQ. Most of the ones I've seen such as this one;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TJM-Winch-Bullbar-suit-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-/220732199344?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3364aa11b0

have the opening on the front for the cable, then 4 bolt holes around it. Does this mean that the base of the winch is bolted to the front of the bar ie. the winch is rotated 90 degrees rather than sitting with its base parallel to the ground? And are 2 bolts holes use to bolt straight through to the winch and the other 2 go through both the fair lead and the winch?

Thanks

GUte
2nd February 2011, 11:35 AM
I just mounted a tigerz11 winch to my factory bar yesterday. Yes you are correct, you will have to rotate the gearbox so you can access the clutch lever on the winch. Dont do what I did and rotate it the wrong way :)
I noticed my opening was at the top, not the bottom like that bar on ebay. Would this mean the winch will run have to run in reverse? Like when you press the in button, the winch actually unspools etc?

The right hand side wing on that bar has been bent quite a bit as the bottom lip is out of shape, my mates looks like that and it folds back into the quarter panel with the slightest hit now.

the evil twin
2nd February 2011, 11:49 AM
I just mounted a tigerz11 winch to my factory bar yesterday. Yes you are correct, you will have to rotate the gearbox so you can access the clutch lever on the winch. Dont do what I did and rotate it the wrong way :)
I noticed my opening was at the top, not the bottom like that bar on ebay. Would this mean the winch will run have to run in reverse? Like when you press the in button, the winch actually unspools etc?

The right hand side wing on that bar has been bent quite a bit as the bottom lip is out of shape, my mates looks like that and it folds back into the quarter panel with the slightest hit now.

Make sure that is NOT the case otherwise when you winch in then you are overpowering the brake as well and when you winch out there will be no brake effect.

The direction of rotation for the Drum should be clearly marked on the Winch. All you do is rotate the gearbox 90 degrees one way or the other for top or bottom access but top is preferably so you can get at it easier...(IE end result is the Clutch lever is either above or below with the winch bolted in place as appropriate)

patch697
2nd February 2011, 11:58 AM
That bar does not look straight in that pic. It could just be the pic but I would be checking it out if you intend on buying it.

boggy2006
2nd February 2011, 12:01 PM
thanks, just posted that pic as an example, but many thanks for pointing it out.

the evil twin
2nd February 2011, 12:22 PM
Just to make my earlier babble a little clearer I grabbed the quote below for ya's...
also...
a big heads up to Synthetic Rope users with low mount winches. The brakes can generate an amazing amount of heat. I have had to "repair" a couple of winches now when the frst couple of layers of rope has literally melted into a solid mass of Tupperware because synthetic rope will not disipate the heat like the steel cable. Only affects you if you are winching OUT so keep an eye on it and use the free spool whenever you can if you are just setting up to Winch IN... If you are winching OUT under load IE downslope or whatever, give the winch brake lots of opportunity to cool if doing so for extended periods.

BRAKE: All planetary winches are equipped with a directional sensitive automatic brake.
The brake requires that the wire rope be wound onto the drum in the correct direction to
operate properly. A Drum rotation label is located on the motor end drum support to help
identify proper rotation. When the wire rope is reeled in, the brake is not activated. When
reeling out under load, however, the brake slows the winch drum to an acceptable speed and
holds the load when the winch is shut off. The brake is usually located inside the winch
drum and dissipates heat through the drum and wire rope.

Bloggsy
2nd February 2011, 01:54 PM
Make sure that is NOT the case otherwise when you winch in then you are overpowering the brake as well and when you winch out there will be no brake effect.

The direction of rotation for the Drum should be clearly marked on the Winch. All you do is rotate the gearbox 90 degrees one way or the other for top or bottom access but top is preferably so you can get at it easier...(IE end result is the Clutch lever is either above or below with the winch bolted in place as appropriate)

My Tigerz11 winch is actually mounted upside down in the factory GU nissan bar. Basically flipped so that the gearbox is on the drivers side and the motor on the passenger side, that way the cable/rope is running in and out of the winch the correct way.

And good tip ET about free spooling the rope out.

GUte
2nd February 2011, 04:31 PM
Mine is the same Bloggsy, I first rotated the gearbox to have it on the passenger side but when I went to mount it and the fairlead, I saw that the rope wasnt aligned properly. Hate doing jobs twice!
With it setup like this, the in/out functions operate as they should

Bloggsy
2nd February 2011, 06:04 PM
Mine is the same Bloggsy, I first rotated the gearbox to have it on the passenger side but when I went to mount it and the fairlead, I saw that the rope wasnt aligned properly. Hate doing jobs twice!
With it setup like this, the in/out functions operate as they should

:bigthumbup: No worries Gary, I just thought by your question earlier you might of still had it around the other way.

Cheers,
Darren

YNOT
2nd February 2011, 07:07 PM
Not all low mount winches have internal brakes that heat the drum when powering the winch out. Some, like the Premier winch have an external brake to keep the heat away from the drum. These winches are better suited to running rope.

Tony