PDA

View Full Version : Tricks to Install Snorkel.

Mark
27th June 2010, 08:46 PM
Hi guys,

We're going to set the misses GU wagon up for touring as my ute won't work with the kids now.

I'm going to be doing some light DIY mods, drawers, snorkel, etc.

Just a quick one, next weekend I'm chucking in a snorkel and was wondering if there's any sneaky tricks I should know before I start.

Thinking of using a hole saw with 95mm hole. I also own a nibbler which I'm pretty confident in using too.

I'm freaking out a bit on cutting the outside guard...lol.

i'm going to tape the hell out of it incase I slip and using detergent apparently works a treat when cutting?

Thinking just to use kill rust on the cut, unless advised otherwise?

Apologies for the 20 questions, just want to make sure its done right.

Cheers;

Mark

AB
27th June 2010, 09:22 PM
Hi Mark, just make sure you use a 240v drill.

Cordless won't be powerful enough, grab and scratch your panel.

See this guy below, "why you shouldn't use a cordless".

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OGGwcMofgB4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OGGwcMofgB4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

patch697
27th June 2010, 11:40 PM
G/day Mark hows things?...... Im a metal finishing technician by trade & one of the tricks I know of with hole saws & jigsaws is velvet soap the cheapest one you can buy it works a treat specially on thin metal & aluminum. It also works great when cutting, grinding or sanding alloy with ether a grinders or disc sanders. It stops the material burning.
Hope this helps

Cheers
Paul

Mark
28th June 2010, 08:57 AM
Velvet soap. Great tip, thanks Paul.

Things are going good, apart from freezing my you know what off in the hills and going through wood like no tomorrow all is good.

Gonna have to get some redgum in to burn as the local timber is just not cutting it!

Minx
28th June 2010, 10:27 AM
Jeez that guys a bit of a hack with the cordless...haha

Maxhead
28th June 2010, 11:39 AM
The only trick I can suggest is take it to ARB or similar to fit. They do dozens a day and should know what they're doing.
Maybe I just don't trust myself drilling a 90mm hole in a panel..haha

Mark
28th June 2010, 01:25 PM
Cheers NissPat.

Yeah It's a bit of worry slippling and putting some scratches on.

I'll make sure I'm sober before attempting the cut...haha

I've been known to modify things late on Saturday night and making huge mistakes.

patch697
28th June 2010, 02:22 PM
Jeez that guys a bit of a hack with the cordless...haha

Yeah thats why Andy posted it "To Show Why you don"t use that method" But in saying that I don't think the cordless was the problem. It was more the goose on the end of it....lol

Cheers
Paul

patch697
28th June 2010, 02:30 PM
Cheers NissPat.

Yeah It's a bit of worry slippling and putting some scratches on.

I'll make sure I'm sober before attempting the cut...haha

I've been known to modify things late on Saturday night and making huge mistakes.

I don't think you will have a problem Mate as you know your way around metal pretty well anyway & you don't sound like a Bloke who lacks common sense...The fact your on here asking questions BEFORE you commence the job is proof enough of that so happy modding & don't forget the progress pics & a full report on how you did the mod so I don't make any mistakes with mine....lol

Cheers
Paul

Skroony
1st July 2010, 09:12 PM
Hi, I have just done installed my snorkel and havent been 4wding yet.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to test if its working ok, no leaks etc before I go out.

I'm hanging out for winter treks and want to make sure its all ok b4 i go.

any advice is welcome :)

Aquarian51
14th August 2010, 12:14 AM
Hi Skroony. I heard the way to test your snorkel for leaks is to put a plastic bag over the head of your snorkel and seal it with gaffer tape or something. Then start your engine, if there are no leaks the engine should stall, if there are leaks it'll cough and splutter for a while depending upon the severity of the leaks. You may even hear it sucking air.

Hope that helps. regards
Len

Pootrazza
31st August 2010, 07:49 PM
Has anyone got any ideas on how to test if its working ok, no leaks etc before I go out.

Take your car for a swim.

Wotan81
19th November 2010, 01:21 AM
Hi. I'm not planning on taking the GQ off either sealed roads or at most, the occasional hard packed dirt road for some time. Is there any need to fit a snorkel until I'm planning some real 4WD stuff? Does it restrict airflow for highway or city driving at all?

thanks,

Lin

YNOT
19th November 2010, 07:36 AM
Snorkels are designed to raise the air intake to a point where it is unlikely to get water in during water crossings and where the air is likely to be cleaner than down low just in front of the front wheel. At the moment a snorkel is unlikely to be any advantage to you but would not have any detrimental effects if you were to fit it. A properly designed snorkel like any of the commercially available ones will not cause any restriction.

Tony

Wotan81
19th November 2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for that Tony. The snorkel might make its way down the list of priorities.

Lin

mickldo
22nd November 2010, 10:28 PM
When I fit snorkels I make sure I tape the whole area, make sure the supplied template is fitted properly, centre punch the holes accurately. I use a No. 30 drill to pilot drill the holes (3mm or 1/8" would work). Drilling the big hole is only scary on the first one you do, after that it is fun cutting into panels, especially if it isn't yours;) I use a cordless but mine is a good quality 18V Li-ion. I prefer the cordless as the drill stops as soon as you let go of the trigger unlike most 240V drills. On the smaller holes I use a step drill as opposed to a drill bit. I find the step drill doesn't grab like a standard drill bit as it punches through the other side. Make sure you use lube on all holes too. I use wax but you can use soap, oil, whatever. Make sure you deburr the holes. I touch up the paint around the edges of the holes and let it dry. I spray some rust preventative around behind the guard and then bed the snorkel down to the guard with Sikaflex to keep the dirt out. This stops the dirt scratching through the paint and causing rust. Clean up the excess Sikaflex using Prepsol or even Windex. Make sure all of the other joins are sealed and away you go.

Russell1974
23rd November 2010, 11:24 PM
hey mate how have you gone with the install

paul1351
26th November 2010, 08:34 PM
i would be scared to hack a hole in my patrol

nismat
19th December 2010, 05:56 PM
Fitting a Snorkel seems like a fun DIY project but I'll have to put it down the lower end of the project list until i need it :( How did it go in the end?

Macgyver
10th January 2011, 11:08 PM
just dont loose the paper template, makes it difficult.

szaf
13th February 2011, 10:19 PM
If you attempt this for the first time find any sort of scape panel from a car making sure that the drill bit is at least 25mm longer that the cutting teeth. Take it slowly and gently letting the tool do the job not pressure

maphew
18th August 2011, 09:57 PM
I once installed a Safari snorkel on the GQ, I didn't have access to the ~90mm hole saw and didn't want to spend the money to purchase. Instead I purchase a new set of drills, drew an outline and drilled several (well lots) of small holes on the ourer circumference. It took a hole (pun intended) lot longer, but I didn't scratch my panel and saved some money on the ~90mm hole saw and ended up with a new box of drills! Food for thought. Fan of the velvet soap tip, will try that soon when I install the next snorkel!

Peeko22
22nd August 2011, 09:26 PM
hi skroony

spray aussie export tyre shine/ silicone spray with the engine running about 6 inches away from all joints 1 at a time if there is a leak the engine will increase in rpm for a second or 2 ..... no increase then nicely sealed :)

ckhoile
24th April 2012, 01:50 PM
great tip thanks