PDA

View Full Version : HELP! - Popping out of First Gear

JR1
20th February 2014, 09:53 AM
Hi Guys,
need your collective experience with this one.
When in low range first gear and idling down a steep track such as Billy Goat outside Dargo, my Y61 Gu 4.2 ITD kept popping out of gear, which at one point was a bit hairy to say the least at the time.
I've tried to research the fix and have found that the cause could be anything from the engine mounts needing replacement (????) to something more major.
Has this been experienced by anyone else?
What was the solution?
Appreciate any help you can give on this one as I'm prepping for a Vic High Country trip in June.

Cheers

JR

threedogs
20th February 2014, 11:36 AM
This happened on my old 4x4 a tojo it turned out to be a bracket underneath needing adjustment.
Not sure how the manual is set up on Patrols it may be similar,
I take it all fluids are ok

And yes you're right not a good feeling that's for sure, mine happened at Boho

JR1
20th February 2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks mate - I'll keep looking into it. I just know a mechanic would love to charge like a wounded bull for a simple fix with me at this stage not being aware of what the cause actually is.

threedogs
20th February 2014, 03:54 PM
there was a recent thread about this, but jump under and get your mate to select 4x4.
if its like my Troopy you should be able to see it, if not I'll call a mate and see what he thinks

MoPatrol
21st February 2014, 11:18 PM
Hello

Most probably engine mountings or the synchromesh in the gearbox (hopefully not) which requires the gearbox to be stripped down to replace

Good Luck

kevin07
22nd February 2014, 08:03 AM
if this is happening in 4 low only I would be looking for the simple stuff first ie mounts

JR1
25th February 2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the advice Mo & Kev - Agree with what you say - simple stuff first.

Have to replace all bearings in both front wheels next so I'll check the mounts whlst I'm under.

Cheers

JR

BillsGU
25th February 2014, 05:17 PM
This happened to me some years ago in another 4WD I owned. I imagined huge expenses but luckily it turned out to be the nylon bushes in the gear selectors on top of the gear box. I would imagine a Patrol would be similar

89gqpatrol4x4
25th February 2014, 05:48 PM
as above had it in my falcon ute and was the engine mount.

macca86
25th February 2014, 09:08 PM
For me I had the same problem then it was in first gear all the time I needed a new box. As my main shaft was bent due to water and mud ingress. Hope this is not your case but in the manuals here there is a trouble shooting Osage to let you know what to check first

JR1
26th February 2014, 09:11 AM
Morning BillsGU, 89gqpatrol4x4 & macca86

Thanks for the confirmation - I'll look into this on the weekend when I'm servicing the hubs.

Bearing in mind the ute has done 206,000K I think I'll change them anyway.

Can anyone recommend a supplier?

Cheers fellas

BillsGU
26th February 2014, 09:25 AM
Morning BillsGU, 89gqpatrol4x4 & macca86

Thanks for the confirmation - I'll look into this on the weekend when I'm servicing the hubs.

Bearing in mind the ute has done 206,000K I think I'll change them anyway.

Can anyone recommend a supplier?

Cheers fellas

Some of these bushes are special to type and (unfortunately) the only place you may be able to get them is Nissan. I have seen selector bush kits at Rare Spares - but they were only for older model fords and holdens. Once you get them out measure them with a vernier and have a look around on the web - you never know.

BigRAWesty
26th February 2014, 09:31 AM
This happens to me in 3rd when the gearbox is warm.. So in my circumstance I'd say my box needs repairing..
Will be changing out oil soon so will see if that helps, but I doubt it..

I replaced the nylon bushes on the geat stick selector but still no change. Just made the stick less sloppy..

JR1
26th February 2014, 10:16 AM
Hey Westy - I recently changed my gearbox and transfer box oils with Red Line gear oil. A bit expensive bit highly recommend the stuff. Has reduced the slight noise I was experiencing when driving and I can now shift smoothly between gears where before there was a slight difficulty selecting first. Something to consider mate.

BigRAWesty
26th February 2014, 10:38 AM
Hey Westy - I recently changed my gearbox and transfer box oils with Red Line gear oil. A bit expensive bit highly recommend the stuff. Has reduced the slight noise I was experiencing when driving and I can now shift smoothly between gears where before there was a slight difficulty selecting first. Something to consider mate.

Again not 100% but I vaguely remember being told 1st has no syncro so down shifting is difficult..

Yea unsure if I'll go a synthetic or mineral oil..
I'll keep your choice in mind thou thanks

liftlid
26th February 2014, 10:58 AM
Mine did it when coasting down hill in 3rd as you took your foot off throttle, only seemed to do it off road but it did get a flogging, swapped out gear box and it solved problem.

JR1
26th February 2014, 11:55 AM
Hopfully it won't come to that liftlid as I'm feeling as though time's getting away from me to have everything done before the June trip to Vic High Country

BillsGU
26th February 2014, 02:19 PM
Hopfully it won't come to that liftlid as I'm feeling as though time's getting away from me to have everything done before the June trip to Vic High Country

You DON'T want to be in the High Country with a car that jumps out of gear. Could be deadly.

threedogs
26th February 2014, 02:59 PM

A friend of mine uses red line oil in his TD4.2 and service intervals are now every 100k
with filter change and oil top up every 10k

JR1
27th February 2014, 07:39 AM
That's the sort of info I was getting before trying it. I used Liqui Moly before and didn't experience any real difference to performance from the oils I was using prior to that. I guess time will tell.

Hoping to upload some photos and introduce the ute this weekend.