PDA

View Full Version : welding

aj_vmax
15th February 2014, 06:26 PM
Hello guys
I will be welding lugs on to my bull bar for my light bar and was woundering if there is any thing I have to do before welding to protect computer or other electric compontents in my patrol.

Woof
15th February 2014, 06:55 PM
Not real sure but I think that you have to disconnect the batteries mate, hopefully someone here will confirm this

megatexture
15th February 2014, 07:18 PM
That's pretty much all I've done in the past with no issues but I would like to know if there is anything else also.

GUtsy ute
15th February 2014, 08:21 PM
Have the earth lead as close as possible to where you are welding, after disconnecting the batteries as said before.

mjr350
16th September 2014, 10:13 PM
I know some people use a set of jumper leads that have the little surge protector box inline and attach that to the battery instead of disconecting but all I've ever done is disconect earth and never had a probem with mig and stick.

NP99
16th September 2014, 11:33 PM
That's pretty much all I've done in the past with no issues but I would like to know if there is anything else also.

Let the air out of your tyres mate..... :)

krbrooking
17th September 2014, 01:00 AM
Let the air out of your tyres mate..... :)

Stupid question but why would you let the tyres down.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

macca86
17th September 2014, 04:42 AM
Air out the tyres is a gee up! Earth close grind paint off keep it clean and disconnect the batteries. Also cover all your paint work near by to protect from splatter

MC97GQ
17th September 2014, 07:51 AM
Air out the tyres is a gee up! Earth close grind paint off keep it clean and disconnect the batteries. Also cover all your paint work near by to protect from splatter

It's not a gee up macca, you let the air out of the tyres so the rims make contact with the ground thus providing a really good earthing point. This does work better with steel rims rather than alloys, although copper rims are best of all.

NP99
17th September 2014, 08:16 AM
It's not a gee up macca, you let the air out of the tyres so the rims make contact with the ground thus providing a really good earthing point. This does work better with steel rims rather than alloys, although copper rims are best of all.

Can I use that or do you have copyright? Lol

MC97GQ
17th September 2014, 08:32 AM
Feel free NP99, I couldn't help myself when I saw your original post.

krbrooking
17th September 2014, 09:05 AM
Well I fell for that one hook, line and sinker. But for the life of me couldn't figure out why. But now it all makes sense. LOL........

NP99
17th September 2014, 09:08 AM
Yeah sometimes the weird can makes sense......not here though :)

mjr350
17th September 2014, 08:12 PM

And cover glass as well if your ever welding near your headlights / spotties. Welding spatter and grinding sparks make a real mess of glass.

NP99
17th September 2014, 08:24 PM
And cover glass as well if your ever welding near your headlights / spotties. Welding spatter and grinding sparks make a real mess of glass.

And never wear your good fishing shirt when grinding steel.....those pin holes can pizz you off :)

lhurley
17th September 2014, 08:30 PM
And never wear your good fishing shirt when grinding steel.....those pin holes can pizz you off :)

Or work pants. Ive melted 2 pairs in the last few months.

Cuppa
17th September 2014, 08:52 PM
Can I use that or do you have copyright? Lol

Copperright?

gaddy
18th September 2014, 10:24 AM
I always wear my best safety boots ! Bottom of picture49431