PDA

View Full Version : earth strap question

Whitewulf
1st February 2011, 09:42 AM
Hi All

I have been searching for info on adding an earth strap to the motor and gearbox, but have come up blank. The dealer advised to think about it, they can do it or its a DIY. He said its something that the factory don't do and will improve the performance.

Not sure if its bull.
Its a 2011 Y61 or a GU series 7 (sorry for dumbness, checking type with dealer )

boggy2006
1st February 2011, 10:45 AM
(I used to work for an automotive manufacturer in the electrical dept) all engines and most auto gearboxes will need to be earthed in order to work. The manufacturer wouldn't miss of earth straps if it meant they weren't working properly. More straps doesn't usually hurt, particularly if the current ones are corroded, but be careful as if they are corroded and you fit a new strap, the current will be going a different route through the body and may/may not cause an issue with things like starter current. Best replace corroded ones in the same location. Did the dealer say what "performance" he was referring to? The only reason my company use to add or change the type of straps (stranded or braided) was to reduce radio interference and this was very rarely done.

the evil twin
1st February 2011, 11:26 AM
Hi All

Not sure if its bull.

Its a 2011 Y61 or a GU series 7 (sorry for dumbness, checking type with dealer )

I am (well at least 99.9%)... and it is...
Bullykaka that is about increasing performance. I would now be VERY wary of anything that "Dealer person" tells you. IF there is a fault in the earthing on a vehicle ex factory then there will be a Service Bulletin and they will "add" the extra earth strap for Free.

The most common 'earthing' issue I am aware of that pops up from time to time is one in regards the Sub Tank fuel transfer pump and computer but that is like 1 in 100 vehicles and usually after a few years

P.S. No real biggy but when quoting model year rather than when you purchased the vehicle always use the Manuf Build Plate date (yours is prob a 2010) and if engine related IE is yours a ZD30 or Petrol apart from that yes, yours should be a Y61 Series 7

Whitewulf
1st February 2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks for replys, will tell him to skip the strap and save the $300

Sorry evil twin, don't have the car as yet its being plated and fitted this week, doing a Google search it looks like the Y61 Diesel :)

the evil twin
1st February 2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for replys, will tell him to skip the strap and save the $300

$300 for an earth strap... Holy Mother of God... :icon_bonk:

Must be one of them there gold plated ones the rich people have. :wink:

Silver
19th February 2011, 03:59 AM
work mate had an datto 1600 in which the choke knob got hot. Asked mechanic mate about it - he straight away suggested checking for an earth strap - apart from the choke cable, there wasn't one!

$300 does seem a lot for a cable with a lug at each end....

GU4u
24th February 2011, 11:21 PM
Ok, i have a CJ Lancer(current model) Mitsubishi do sell an earth strap kit which is an extra on top of standard. Now from what i have been told by a few people in the know that you WILL get better fuel consumption and it WILL make the car run better. it has something to do with better current flow or something like that I cant remember exactly what it was. Maybe the clubs resident sparkie can tell us

YNOT
24th February 2011, 11:29 PM
Ok, i have a CJ Lancer(current model) Mitsubishi do sell an earth strap kit which is an extra on top of standard. Now from what i have been told by a few people in the know that you WILL get better fuel consumption and it WILL make the car run better. it has something to do with better current flow or something like that I cant remember exactly what it was. Maybe the clubs resident sparkie can tell us

I think he's trying to sell you an energy polarizer!!! This should bring out the Peter Brock fans.............

Tony

Finly Owner
24th February 2011, 11:38 PM
I think he's trying to sell you an energy polarizer!!! This should bring out the Peter Brock fans.............

Tony

And that would be why Holden and brocky split................................

GU4u
26th February 2011, 05:16 PM
:tease:LOL settle down YNOT I don't have one of those polarizer things, I just wait for all the planets to align then my car goes heeps better!!! As i said maybe our club sparkie can enlighten us??? Oh and I never got around to upgrading the earth strap so I can't say if it will do anything..

madk1w1
2nd March 2011, 11:32 PM
As long as motor to body earth lead is of same current carrying ability of power(electrical) used by engine electrics there should be no reason for a nother earth lead, likewise battery to body earth is going to carry load of body electrical components

Silver have seen the same happen through a throttle cable as ya mates choke, and yes faulty earth to engine