PDA

View Full Version : GPS/ Mapping software list compiling.

mudski
10th February 2014, 09:20 PM
Hey all. I want to compile a list of the different brands of software available as I have just bought myself a Galaxy Note 10.1 and want to get some sort of mapping for it but have really NFI when it comes to this stuff.
All that I can think of off the top of my head is :

Mudmap
Hema
Ozi Explorer
Memory map

I'd also like to know what you have and what you think of it. And if you had to start again. Would you buy this software again? Or buy another brand and why?
This stuff ain't real cheap so I want to know as much as I can before I take the plunge.

Cheers.

Clunk
10th February 2014, 09:21 PM
de ja vu or am I dreaming there was a thread like this started a little while back??

salmon3268
10th February 2014, 09:28 PM
Hemi explorer is just a map. I was a bit disappointed about it and the fact it also requires a min of 2gb download which it doesn't state. It also state that it will stop the screen from going to sleep but they haven't fixed that problem yet.

Winnie
10th February 2014, 09:35 PM
I have Memory Map and Mud Map HD. I prefer Memory Map because I have some detailed high country maps on it thanks to another member and it traces a line from where you have driven. Mud Map is great for touring I reckon, places you won't have maps for as it has just one huge map of Australia with the tracks on it and even has all campsites on it too.

salmon3268
10th February 2014, 09:45 PM
Does anyone know of a turn by turn 4wd GPS mapping system for an android device?

mudski
10th February 2014, 11:12 PM
de ja vu or am I dreaming there was a thread like this started a little while back??

Lol. Probably. CBF'ed looking though.:icon_bonk:Probably more than one thread... Be good to actually get a list together with peoples pro's and con's...

Clunk
10th February 2014, 11:19 PM
Lol. Probably. CBF'ed looking though.:icon_bonk:Probably more than one thread... Be good to actually get a list together with peoples pro's and con's...

Good luck Bwahahahaha

megatexture
10th February 2014, 11:19 PM
Another vote for memory map good for recording past trips and plotting a trip and can point you to your next destination or reference point

oncedisturbed
10th February 2014, 11:55 PM
Does anyone know of a turn by turn 4wd GPS mapping system for an android device?

Closest you will get is MUD Maps

the evil twin
11th February 2014, 01:10 AM

There is predominantly two types of "mapping" Raster and Vector.

"Raster" is OziExplorer, Trackranger etc.
They work by having a geocoded picture IE a map, scroll around the screen depending on your position.
The software doesn't know what features are on the picture just where abouts on the picture you are.
You can make them turn by turn by plotting in your waypoints.

"Vector" is Igo, Navman etc
They work on vectors in that some dude sits down with the coords of all the streets and intersections and turns them into vectors.
You tell it where you want to go and the software joins the vectors and comes up with the turns you need.
That is why the maps are so expensive. The manhours/computer hours are huge.

By definition of 4WD "turn by turn" you would need someone to have compiled all the vectors for all the fire trails, tracks, goat paths etc which would be a monumental undertaking

BillsGU
11th February 2014, 09:33 AM
I have a double din in dash system and I use IGo on road and OziExplorer off road. I have been using Ozi for many years. The reason I like it is that you can scan any paper map and import it into Ozi. You are not tied to propriatory maps at sometimes a huge cost. One example is: I wanted to look through an old gold mine I had read about up here in the North East. The only reference I could find was a hand drawn map in a history book. I copied the page, scaned it and imported it into Ozi. I calibrated the map using the location of creek junctions on the hand drawn map (compared to locations on a modern map) - marked the mine location as a waypoint and drove directly to it.

paulyg
11th February 2014, 06:11 PM
I have the Hema map app on my ipad, I like it does what I want, came bundled with lots of maps.
The large download is because the maps are stored on the device, so that it can work when there is no internet connection,
Other wise it would be like a Google maps and be useless in the bush when there is no internet available.

mudski
11th February 2014, 07:00 PM
I have a double din in dash system and I use IGo on road and OziExplorer off road. I have been using Ozi for many years. The reason I like it is that you can scan any paper map and import it into Ozi. You are not tied to propriatory maps at sometimes a huge cost. One example is: I wanted to look through an old gold mine I had read about up here in the North East. The only reference I could find was a hand drawn map in a history book. I copied the page, scaned it and imported it into Ozi. I calibrated the map using the location of creek junctions on the hand drawn map (compared to locations on a modern map) - marked the mine location as a waypoint and drove directly to it.

I have a double din too but I find it near useless as it's pointing straight so it's harder to look at. As for Ozi, that's a good idea to be able to scan your own maps onto it. So I take it that not all of them can do this?

BillsGU
11th February 2014, 09:19 PM
So I take it that not all of them can do this?

Not all of them can.

Drewboyaus
11th February 2014, 11:53 PM
Not all of them can.

The ones I know that can are:

Hema / Memory Map
MudMap 2
OzExplorer
Androzic (just a raster map reader)

The Hema Maps app uses the MemoryMap program as it's base but bundling it with the Hema Maps for touring.
I use both the Hema (MemoryMap) and MudMap HD app on my iPad. I have scanned and calibrated detailed high country maps for the Hema app and that is all I really need. It's an extra purchase to grab the import maps license from MemoryMap.
Lots of folks like OzExplorer but I can't speak for it as I haven't used it but have heard it has an extra level of complexity that I felt I didn't need.
For turn by turn I use a combination of Google Maps and TomTom (depending where I am) often running concurrently on my phone

mudski
12th February 2014, 12:04 AM
Thanks Drew you are theman in the know with this shite. So are the maps i need to purchase expensive?

Drewboyaus
12th February 2014, 12:10 AM
Which maps do you want?
If you want the detailed high country maps, I just went to my local map shop, picked up the Rooftops maps I wanted for $10 each and spent a dollar at Officeworks scanning them.
The map packages from Memory Map are quite expensive (though I did pay for the NSW and Vic topo maps which are quite detailed). They lack some of the track info/notes/historic stuff the rooftops maps have but do give a different view of where you are.

BillsGU
12th February 2014, 09:18 AM
The CFA maps of Victoria are very detailed. They are (obviously) the maps that the fire fighters use and are excellent for navigation in all off road parts of Victoria.

mudski
12th February 2014, 01:15 PM
Which maps do you want?
If you want the detailed high country maps, I just went to my local map shop, picked up the Rooftops maps I wanted for $10 each and spent a dollar at Officeworks scanning them.
The map packages from Memory Map are quite expensive (though I did pay for the NSW and Vic topo maps which are quite detailed). They lack some of the track info/notes/historic stuff the rooftops maps have but do give a different view of where you are.

I just want software and maps that have very detailed map of Victoria mainly. As for scanning and then actually putting them onto or into the app is beyond me. Something I suppose I need to learn. How expensive is it to buy them already done?
I can see this is going to do my head in and ill probably end up getting the wrong one.

liftlid
12th February 2014, 03:05 PM
I've used the android version of ozi explorer and it worked great and cost $24 I think, I already had the maps .
The CFA and topo maps are harder to read as the dotted Lines blend into the background ( you will be zoomed in on the screen)the best high country maps are the rooftop maps but they are no longer available on CD, the maps designed for GPS tend to be the easiest to read.
If you use your device to tell you where your not located and plan with a paper map you will have the best success.
Planing with Ozi explorer also works best if you have it on your computer and save waypoints onto the SD card.

BillsGU
12th February 2014, 04:59 PM
I've used the android version of ozi explorer and it worked great and cost $24 I think, I already had the maps .
The CFA and topo maps are harder to read as the dotted Lines blend into the background

I have used the CFA maps for many years and have no trouble reading them. It may depend on the quality/resolution of the scanned file. I can't think of the dotted lines you are talking about. Again - it may be resolution.

liftlid
12th February 2014, 05:10 PM
I have used the CFA maps for many years and have no trouble reading them. It may depend on the quality/resolution of the scanned file. I can't think of the dotted lines you are talking about. Again - it may be resolution.

It's not the resolution it's when you use them zoomed in on the gps, they also don't have as much detail as a rooftop or meridian map

BillsGU
12th February 2014, 05:15 PM
It's not the resolution it's when you use them zoomed in on the gps, they also don't have as much detail as a rooftop or meridian map

OK - When you scan them you can select the resolution you want them scanned at. Because they are a bit map file, the higher the resolution the smaller the dots that make up the bit map. My files are scanned at high res so my dots are so small I can zoom in a long way before I see pixels. I hope that explains it better.

liftlid
12th February 2014, 05:54 PM
OK - When you scan them you can select the resolution you want them scanned at. Because they are a bit map file, the higher the resolution the smaller the dots that make up the bit map. My files are scanned at high res so my dots are so small I can zoom in a long way before I see pixels. I hope that explains it better.

I realise that, it's not the scanning that's the problem with them it's just there are better maps you can use.

Drewboyaus
12th February 2014, 07:25 PM
I just want software and maps that have very detailed map of Victoria mainly. As for scanning and then actually putting them onto or into the app is beyond me. Something I suppose I need to learn. How expensive is it to buy them already done?
I can see this is going to do my head in and ill probably end up getting the wrong one.

Scanning and calibrating the maps for Memory map/Hema is a piece of piss once you've done the first one. It takes barely 5 minutes. For the detail of the Rooftops maps it's a worthwhile time investment.
I get Officeworks to do the scanning for me so there's no need to scan and join each map.
Read my very helpful tutorial on the subject. It really is very straightforward.

the evil twin
12th February 2014, 08:16 PM
I realise that, it's not the scanning that's the problem with them it's just there are better maps you can use.

Thats odd...

Like BillsGU I use a lot of Fire and Conservation maps and they are 20,000:1 or in some cases 10,000:1.
There isn't usually much out there that is better or has more detail.
The Geoscience copies of the same scale don't have anything like the details, for example, the Conservation maps will even have teh forestry blocks and tree blaze info.

You must have a dodgy copy or something.

mudski
12th February 2014, 08:26 PM
For dumb sh1t like me. Please define what a roof top map actually is please.

Winnie
12th February 2014, 08:39 PM
It's a brand of map. Fantastic high country maps, lots of information written on them

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

liftlid
12th February 2014, 08:42 PM
Thats odd...

Like BillsGU I use a lot of Fire and Conservation maps and they are 20,000:1 or in some cases 10,000:1.
There isn't usually much out there that is better or has more detail.
The Geoscience copies of the same scale don't have anything like the details, for example, the Conservation maps will even have teh forestry blocks and tree blaze info.

You must have a dodgy copy or something.

My maps aren't scanned!!!

mudski
12th February 2014, 08:42 PM
So rooftop is just the name of the company who makes the map on paper or digital?

Winnie
12th February 2014, 08:57 PM
Yep. Only paper though, they don't do digital.

the evil twin
12th February 2014, 10:17 PM
My maps aren't scanned!!!

Neither are mine !!!!!! Having said that they are obviously digitised (which is all that scanning of a paper map does anyway) but no biggee.

In the main I was replying to your comment that "there are better maps you can use" and was curious what they were or the source or if you mean larger scale but more points or marginal information or whatever.

If the "dodgy copy" comment offended I apologise

mudski
12th February 2014, 10:45 PM
I'm still confused on what I should get.
Probably because I haven't actually seen the difference between programs...

Winnie
12th February 2014, 10:55 PM
If you're in no rush you can have a play with mine next time we catch up. I've only got MudMap 2 (I said MMHD before, but I have 2 not HD) and Memory Map.

liftlid
13th February 2014, 08:04 AM
Yep. Only paper though, they don't do digital.

They used to do digital, stopped selling as the owner was afraid people would pirate the maps.

Drewboyaus
13th February 2014, 08:43 AM
They used to do digital, stopped selling as the owner was afraid people would pirate the maps.

My understanding of this (from speaking to a number of map shop owners) was that whoever was making the VMS software at the time helped themselves to his intellectual property and attempted to claim it as their own (pretty stupid given his maps are so distinctive).
As a result of one business' unscrupulous nature we all miss out as he then decided he would no longer make them available electronically.

BillsGU
13th February 2014, 09:02 AM
Crazy attitude because it only takes a minute to digitise a paper map. If he had copyright he should have sued.

Hodge
13th February 2014, 09:11 AM
Once my galaxy tab returns from warranty I'll be installing the new hema explorer to give it a shot. So fast I've read positive things about it.

liftlid
13th February 2014, 10:33 AM
Once my galaxy tab returns from warranty I'll be installing the new hema explorer to give it a shot. So fast I've read positive things about it.

Before you fork out for the hema stuff, try ozi explorer or similar then you can use maps from other suppliers or make your own, could work out cheaper and give more flexibility.

BillsGU
13th February 2014, 11:30 AM
I'm still confused on what I should get.
Probably because I haven't actually seen the difference between programs...

You can download OziExplorer for free and use most of its features without paying a cent. If you like it you just register, get a registration number and then you have access to its full capabilities.

Hodge
13th February 2014, 01:46 PM
Before you fork out for the hema stuff, try ozi explorer or similar then you can use maps from other suppliers or make your own, could work out cheaper and give more flexibility.

Already got ozi (or had )with a pretty serious pack of hema maps. But that was on a double din car unit which is now ditched. And I haven't had a go at running it on a tablet. I should though. Only reason I'll try the new hema android navigator is cause I already have a copy I won through FB a while back.

As for Mudskis question definitely have a play with Ozi as someone has mentioned it's free version is just about fully functional but you will need your own maps.

mudski
13th February 2014, 01:59 PM
You can download OziExplorer for free and use most of its features without paying a cent. If you like it you just register, get a registration number and then you have access to its full capabilities.

I think thats my best option. I honestly didn't think of that they might have a trial version to see if I like it...Thanks.

Drewboyaus
13th February 2014, 02:46 PM
Crazy attitude because it only takes a minute to digitise a paper map. If he had copyright he should have sued.

I believe he did but it made him a bit reluctant to continue producing the digital versions.

GQ TANK
13th February 2014, 09:34 PM
Im using a Samsung galaxy tab 2 7" tablet with OZIE maps for off road - I got maps off a ebay sell - 1/25000 for the state. The android app is cheap - the Window version is around $130

I also have access to vicmaps, and made some maps with MapInfo.

Im using a free app - sygic for point to point road nav

mudski
13th February 2014, 09:35 PM
Ok I downloaded Ozi. My first impression, wow! Was this designed back when Windows 95 was released? I'll stick with it and a bit more.

BillsGU
13th February 2014, 09:43 PM
Ok I downloaded Ozi. My first impression, wow! Was this designed back when Windows 95 was released? I'll stick with it and put, a a bit more.

It has been around a while. I have been using it for 15 years or so.

Drewboyaus
13th February 2014, 10:14 PM
Pretty sure you can download MemoryMap on Android for free too....
And you get a 10 day trial of each of the maps to have a look at.

mudski
13th February 2014, 10:42 PM
Yeah just found that. Downloaded and the eastern oz map. Just for reference I looked at Three Chain Tk Drew. I know the other end of it comes out near the howqua river but it does not show it joining on this map. It's the same as a 15year old paper map I have.
I kinda don't know what I am supposed to expect in map detail.
As for the ozi trial. I'm trying to work it out.

Drewboyaus
13th February 2014, 10:57 PM
Yeah just found that. Downloaded and the eastern oz map. Just for reference I looked at Three Chain Tk Drew. I know the other end of it comes out near the howqua river but it does not show it joining on this map. It's the same as a 15year old paper map I have.

Dude, if you're going to be at Jonathan's on the weekend I'll show you my setup and the Rooftops maps. The Rooftops map shows the gnarly section of 3 chains. It said in the track notes "very rough and steep, soon to be closed" we had to drive up it after reading that!

mudski
13th February 2014, 11:01 PM
Road down that on a trail bike just after they closed it 15 years ago. I'll have to have a look at what you got as so I'm not overly impressed with Ozi.

BillsGU
14th February 2014, 08:00 AM

Beaut thing with Ozi is you can correct the paper map and re scan it or you can open the file in a drawing program and fix it or put notes on it - whatever ......

liftlid
14th February 2014, 08:06 AM
. I'll have to have a look at what you got as so I'm not overly impressed with Ozi.

Just interested to know what you were expecting from a mapping program?

lachiek
14th February 2014, 10:03 AM
For those in NSW this tool http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ is well worth checking out. Overlays high res satellite imagery, Topo, roads etc. Take a minute to read the short instructions and anyone will be all over it. Happy trails

mudski
14th February 2014, 09:01 PM
Just interested to know what you were expecting from a mapping program?

With Ozi at least I found looking at it very outdated. especially for the coin needed to fork out for it. Yes I know it's the program we need and it obviously does its job well but it could do with a freshen up. Plus trying to use the free version and I don't know what I doing with it I find it hard to navigate around it. Excuse the pun.
I haven't ruled Ozi out though Garry. If the functionality wins over the others it wins my vote.

BillsGU
15th February 2014, 08:19 AM
The problem with Ozi is that it does so much. Most people only need a fraction of its capabilities. As I said - I have used it for years but have not used it all. The looks don't worry me. When you are using it in the vehicle you only worry about the map.

Hodge
15th February 2014, 08:36 AM
The problem with Ozi is that it does so much. Most people only need a fraction of its capabilities.

This is exactly what I told Mudski when I was talking to him about it few days ago. The program out of the box is too overwhelming, especially for someone new to mapping programs like that. It's very in-depth. I was using mine on a double din unit (Polaris) inside the car loaded with Hema maps and it felt daunting.
However, Ozi on android or iPad being touch screen to me seems much more streamlined.

As per my earlier post in this thread. He should really have a look at the Hema explorer on Android. It's like a slimmed down version of Ozi, yet retaining the important features and it's maps are very in-depth. I've personally seen the High country area on this and it's highly detailed and has 1000s of points of interest.
At least have a look at it's features and see if they suit you. On a 10.1 Note, it looks gorgeous. I wish my tab returned sooner so I can install mine and let you have a play with it and see it in person, but samsung taking their bloody time!
https://www.hemamaps.com.au/en/News/Hema%20Maps%20Announces%20Hema%20Explorer%20for%20 Android

Should also mention, the hema maps that come with this alone are $200 as a pack, and the app is only $50.

mudski
15th February 2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input. Playing around with Ozi and Hema (i think it was) samples was good. But I think my Galaxy Note has to go back to where I bought it from. It won't shut down like its supposed to....So I better attend to this before anything. But I will continue on using the wifes Galaxy Tab until I get mine back.

liftlid
16th February 2014, 10:26 AM
I haven't used the hema version as I have maps from other makers, can you use maps from say rooftop or meridian on the hema program?

Drewboyaus
16th February 2014, 11:00 AM
I haven't used the hema version as I have maps from other makers, can you use maps from say rooftop or meridian on the hema program?

Which Hema program? There are 2 different types at the moment.

mudski
16th February 2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input. Playing around with Ozi and Hema (i think it was) samples was good. But I think my Galaxy Note has to go back to where I bought it from. It won't shut down like its supposed to....So I better attend to this before anything. But I will continue on using the wifes Galaxy Tab until I get mine back.

Lol. How's this. My Note was playing up because of the cover I bought. The magnetic catch was stuffing with the OS. All good now.

Hodge
17th February 2014, 02:14 AM
Good find mate. My original S4 used to be drained of all battery in 2 hours idling. In the end it was the S view cover messing with it somehow.

liftlid
17th February 2014, 08:48 AM
Which Hema program? There are 2 different types at the moment.

Hema mapping app for ipad etc, I have used the ozi exp program they put on their navigators.

mudski
23rd February 2014, 09:56 PM
Speaking with Eric today he mentioned Hema Explorer which can be had for only $50. I read the reviews on the play store and there's not a lot of positivity about it. Still early though.
The demo of Ozi is next to useless as all you can do with the demo is look at it. Memory map looks good so far...
Lol i forgot about Mud map. Anyone with this app?

GQ TANK
22nd April 2014, 08:48 PM
The bigest advantage with ozi is that you can import your own maps.

I wrote an interface to ozi for radio coverage surveys. My app interfaces a tablet to a commercial radio that provides signal strengh and gps detail. The app plots wya points on special coverage maps that we create

As ozi was developed in aus - the owner is approchable

Robo
9th May 2014, 10:29 PM
To get Mudmap !!
Firstly search on here for advise, and thankyou peoples.
web search for program.
check devise is compatible
try to buy, cant, not that simple.
need google account.
download google app,
you can't just download to home computer and install from there,
nar you have to link actual device to your Google acc.

Next step,
seems I have to connect tablet online to get program what alot of *%$#@&^ mucking around.
but I guess will be worth it , better be!

BigRAWesty
11th May 2014, 06:46 PM
Ok. Quick q

Gps on a double din headunit.
I understand that they are aimed at black topers, but can they be used for off road??

Many I'm seeing run an external antenna which imo is a better for off road than the tablets.
Also it doest bother me being down low, and I don't like clutter.
So I can't see myself strapping a 10" screen to dash..

So can it be done, is it easy. Looking at a cheap unit, something like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-DOUBLE-2DIN-HD-CAR-DVD-PLAYER-GPS-STEREO-BT-IPOD-FREE-REVERSING-CAMERA-/331032732033

Drewboyaus
11th May 2014, 07:41 PM
I reckon those double DIN units are chit......unless you spend real coin and buy a top shelf jobbie.
I HATE how so many of them run on Windows Ce, which in my opinion is rubbish. The touch screens never seem to work very well either.
I mounted my IPad low-ish on the dash (below the line of the windscreen) and it works perfectly well. I wouldn't use anything else.

the evil twin
11th May 2014, 08:02 PM
Ok. Quick q

Gps on a double din headunit.
I understand that they are aimed at black topers, but can they be used for off road??

Many I'm seeing run an external antenna which imo is a better for off road than the tablets.
Also it doest bother me being down low, and I don't like clutter.
So I can't see myself strapping a 10" screen to dash..

So can it be done, is it easy. Looking at a cheap unit, something like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-DOUBLE-2DIN-HD-CAR-DVD-PLAYER-GPS-STEREO-BT-IPOD-FREE-REVERSING-CAMERA-/331032732033

My Chinavasion double din has been in 3 Patrols now and done maybe 250,000 K's.
Cost me about $400 delivered I think. Full dual zone unit and will go to a new owner with my Wagon when sold
It runs Igo for street navigation and OziCE for off road no worries at all and as mentioned the external antenna means bugger all lost fixes
I also have 2 Erisins... 1 is single din with 7 inch pop up screen and windows OS and one is a double din with detachable Android 7 inch tablet which is in my Ute

Of them all the Chinvasion is prob the best display

the evil twin
11th May 2014, 08:13 PM
... forgot to add.

Whatever you get (if you go that way) make sure it is a dual zone device IE it will display live navigation and play tunes/radio/music at the same time.
Some of them will do one or the other but not both at once

BigRAWesty
11th May 2014, 09:21 PM
My Chinavasion double din has been in 3 Patrols now and done maybe 250,000 K's.
Cost me about $400 delivered I think. Full dual zone unit and will go to a new owner with my Wagon when sold
It runs Igo for street navigation and OziCE for off road no worries at all and as mentioned the external antenna means bugger all lost fixes
I also have 2 Erisins... 1 is single din with 7 inch pop up screen and windows OS and one is a double din with detachable Android 7 inch tablet which is in my Ute

Of them all the Chinvasion is prob the best display

How do you go about uploading??
Via sd card?

Drewboyaus
11th May 2014, 09:40 PM
Yep. Normally via SD card

mudski
11th May 2014, 11:31 PM
I'm still yet to decide on which way to go. I was going to get MM but after seeing BA having issues with his up at Tallarook I might give it a miss. So now I'm back to where I started. Lol.

Bloodyaussie
12th May 2014, 07:54 AM
The high country maps were great... I did not buy the full version but I have also not seen Hema so do not know what thats like??

cgm
12th May 2014, 07:50 PM
I'm still lurking on this one to see the outcome. I used to use Ozi on an old touchscreen Netbook, but it's so dated now and painfully slow to do stuff with. Was expensive in it's day (about 6 years ago). Ozi was good, but it was complicated to use, especially the full PC version on a touch screen. Now I think it would be good to do something on the Android. If the interface is designed for the smaller touch screen a bit better I hope it would make it easier. Just waiting to get a better consensus on what is the easiest and good access to maps or can at least use the scanned maps as well. Guess I'll wait for any conclusion to shortlist, then have to try a bit for myself as well.

Irish
12th May 2014, 08:18 PM
I've used memory map a bit, it works really well but my lenovo tablet is about as old as the ones Moses brought down from the mountain so it chews through its battery. The maps are the hema topo ones and they have great detail on them. Biggest problem I have is mounting the tablet, the mount I have for mine is pants. Might have to make a custom one with a dock built in.

Drew, any chance of you posting a pic of your tablet mount?

mudski
12th May 2014, 09:35 PM
I just downloaded the memory map 25 too maps. You can get it for a 10 day trial. First thing I noticed is how slow it is to load the map. Dunno why my tablet isn't the issue I know that. Maybe the location of the files on the tablet? I think I will need to get a hold of BA's tablet and see what mud map is like now.

Drewboyaus
12th May 2014, 11:27 PM
Mark,
There is a truck to getting the whole topo map files rather than downloading "tiles".
Pete,
I'll post up a pic tomorrow. I use a Ram mount screwed to the console where my clock would be (I don't have a clock).

Drewboyaus
12th May 2014, 11:28 PM
Mark,
There is a trick to getting the whole topo map files rather than downloading "tiles".
Pete,
I'll post up a pic tomorrow. I use a Ram mount screwed to the console where my clock would be (I don't have a clock).

mudski
12th May 2014, 11:29 PM
Mark,
There is a truck to getting the whole topo map files rather than downloading "tiles".
Pete,

Wierd it says that I have downloaded the package though.

Drewboyaus
13th May 2014, 11:52 AM
Wierd it says that I have downloaded the package though.

If it's the VicMap 25k topo for MemoryMap, the file is about 2GB in size and you have to go through a rabbit warren of pages to find the link to the complete file.

mudski
13th May 2014, 12:18 PM
If it's the VicMap 25k topo for MemoryMap, the file is about 2GB in size and you have to go through a rabbit warren of pages to find the link to the complete file.

Yeah it wasn't from memory. It was around 400kb. It did state it was 25k though. So obviously not the full package then? Im assuming if I pay for the licence it will open up to the full download.

Drewboyaus
13th May 2014, 01:47 PM
Yeah it wasn't from memory. It was around 400kb. It did state it was 25k though. So obviously not the full package then? Im assuming if I pay for the licence it will open up to the full download.

Yes BUT the Memory Map people seem to want everyone to download it in sections at a time as you scan over various parts of the map and it's forkin tedious. It also only ever seems to want to cache max 500MB if you download the sections which is annoying.....
Much quicker and more useful (eventually) to go in search of the complete download link and dump all 2GB in there.

Winnie
13th May 2014, 01:57 PM
Yes BUT the Memory Map people seem to want everyone to download it in sections at a time as you scan over various parts of the map and it's forkin tedious. It also only ever seems to want to cache max 500MB if you download the sections which is annoying.....
Much quicker and more useful (eventually) to go in search of the complete download link and dump all 2GB in there.

Are you talking about the very basic map that is included with Memory Map? Sometimes that can come in handy but my iPad does not have any net connection so the only place I can download maps is from home which is no good. I would love to download the whole thing?

mudski
13th May 2014, 02:19 PM

Hmm I look again when I get home. I downloaded six from memory different files. The topo vic map was around 400mb. I think. Plus it did say I can use it for ten days trial period.

Drewboyaus
13th May 2014, 07:16 PM
Are you talking about the very basic map that is included with Memory Map? Sometimes that can come in handy but my iPad does not have any net connection so the only place I can download maps is from home which is no good. I would love to download the whole thing?

Nah, it's the 25k VicMap topo maps.

mudski
14th May 2014, 09:39 PM
Hey Drew. This is where I downloaded the files from. Is this right?
http://memory-map.com.au/digital-maps/digital-map-shop-dms/digital-map-shop-dms-download-packaged-maps-android-ipad.html#Aus

Drewboyaus
14th May 2014, 09:44 PM
Hey Drew. This is where I downloaded the files from. Is this right?
http://memory-map.com.au/digital-maps/digital-map-shop-dms/digital-map-shop-dms-download-packaged-maps-android-ipad.html#Aus

Yes but if you haven't already, have a read if this. You will then understand what I mean.....
http://memory-map.com.au/map_downloads/Getting%20started%20with%20Packaged%20Downloads.pd f

mudski
14th May 2014, 10:32 PM
So. Wheres this 2Gb size map your talking about? Or where you referring to the entire Aus map packages?

Edit : I think I get it. Reading the pdf for about the 40th time...Slowly sinking in.

This shite does my head in. Why don't they just say, here its $$$ for the all maps to get now. Not bit by bit download...
If I'm getting it right, Its best to download the pc version too and download the maps that way and then transfer across to the tablet???

Drewboyaus
14th May 2014, 11:08 PM
So. Wheres this 2Gb size map your talking about? Or where you referring to the entire Aus map packages?

Edit : I think I get it. Reading the pdf for about the 40th time...Slowly sinking in.

This shite does my head in. Why don't thry just say, here its $$$ for the all maps to get now. Not bit by bit download...

Dunno. Maybe their server is rubbish and couldn't cope with the bandwidth....it's quite slow to download so I suspect that might be the case.

mudski
14th May 2014, 11:22 PM
I've got the pc version on and its filling in map content and the VicEast QC3 file is growing in file size. So I assume when its done I can grab the QC3 file and transfer it to my tablet and it will work? Now the pc version is registered under a different name to the tablet. The files should transfer over though...

mudski
14th May 2014, 11:35 PM
I've got the pc version on and its filling in map content and the VicEast QC3 file is growing in file size. So I assume when its done I can grab the QC3 file and transfer it to my tablet and it will work?...

lol yes according to the pdf. :redface: