PDA

View Full Version : Converting rear side windows to solid window with hinge and lock.

AB
31st January 2011, 02:08 PM
Has anyone converted the rear side windows on the GQ to a solid window but with a hinge and lock system like a canopie style on each side?

There's a little bit of rust on the inside of the window and the previous owner has siliconed the window shut.

The MQ/MK windows are solid and fit straight in too don't they?

MQ MAD
31st January 2011, 02:14 PM
MQ/MK solids rear windows will fit the GQ
Buy solid window but hinged,what about a perspex window with a piano type hinge

AB
31st January 2011, 02:22 PM
MQ/MK solids rear windows will fit the GQ
Buy solid window but hinged,what about a perspex window with a piano type hinge

Thats a good idea, I can get it routed at a friends place too, might be a slight security problem with perspex?

There is a bit of rust just under the inside trim so I'll take it apart soon to find out how damaged it is.

If It's structual then I might have to cut and weld a new piece along too....

Arggh, good old GQ windows...lol

YNOT
31st January 2011, 06:48 PM
Perspex (acrylic) is brittle, polycarbonate might be a better option.

Tony

Clunk
31st January 2011, 07:05 PM
Here's a spot of info I found for both types ........ may or may not help with the decision making.

Key characteristics, Polycarbonate compared to Acrylic:

◦Impact/chip resistance is much higher with Polycarbonate. (about 30 times more resistant than glass)
◦More likely to scratch.
◦Substantially more expensive. (roughly 2 to 3 times)
◦Used for more industry applications
◦Bulletproof when thick enough.
◦More bendable under normal temeratures (0-20°C)
◦Yellows over time due to ultraviolet rays
◦Easier to work with (cut, less likely to break)
◦Poorer clarity, diffuses light, can lighten (could be positive).

Key characteristics, Acrylic compared to Polycarbonate:

◦More likely to chip, less impact resistance then Polycarbonate. (still 10-24 times more resistant than float glass)
◦Less likely to scratch.
◦Does NOT yellow after time.
◦Better clarity. Acrylic can be restored to optical clarity by polishing.

Dhuck
1st February 2011, 12:36 AM
Just my view as a plastics tech. I would look at the acrylic as the polycarb scratches very easily.

Just so I don't upset a couple of people I was a suspension/tyre tech half my working life and a plastics tech the other half.

patch697
1st February 2011, 12:41 AM
Just my view as a plastics tech. I would look at the acrylic as the polycarb scratches very easily.

Just so I don't upset a couple of people I was a suspension/tyre tech half my working life and a plastics tech the other half.

Mate that sort of experience will come in handy on here for sure so feel free to give advice if you can cos thats what its all about.

Dhuck
1st February 2011, 12:51 AM
Mate that sort of experience will come in handy on here for sure so feel free to give advice if you can cos thats what its all about.

Mate now an IT tech for Education Qld due to a sh!t shoulder that won't allow me to do the other. Much more prefer the auto and plastics though.

patch697
1st February 2011, 12:53 AM
Mate now an IT tech for Education Qld due to a sh!t shoulder that won't allow me to do the other. Much more prefer the auto and plastics though.

Mate what a wealth of knowledge you got going on.......Top stuff

Silver
19th February 2011, 02:44 AM
is the rust in the sliders in the usual spot, ie the window frame, or the body. I'm not super mechanical and have never replaced a window or screen before but replacing the rubbers/frames with the existing glass was fairly easy

HILLBILLY BOY
9th March 2011, 12:46 PM
I have seen somewhere on the internet someone had removed the rear side windows, frame and all, fitted alloy checker plate on hinges with gas struts and locks, from memory it looked quite good and worked well. Not sure if they made a sub frame for it to mount in the car but it would be an easy enough thing to do in a weekend.

moo_r32
26th April 2011, 11:44 AM
i was wondering why the old owner had siliconed my rear windows shut!! so the MQ solid rears are a straight fit?

pominozjohn
2nd May 2012, 07:25 PM
Not sure if I have this correct, but is it possible to replace my rusty sliding GQ windows with a solid window & rubber seal which wony rust? If so where do I purchase such an item?

healy
2nd May 2012, 07:36 PM
Not sure if I have this correct, but is it possible to replace my rusty sliding GQ windows with a solid window & rubber seal which wony rust? If so where do I purchase such an item?

ozauto in hallam, vic have alluminum window frames solid and slide just bought the sliders for my gq 2 weeks ago no rust with these

bigblue
2nd May 2012, 11:54 PM
If you dont mind me asking healy, how much did the slider frames set you back, thanks mate...

GQsweep
6th May 2012, 12:46 AM
i was wondering why the old owner had siliconed my rear windows shut!! so the MQ solid rears are a straight fit?

My understanding is NO, they are not a straight swap.

Chris

97_gq_lwb
6th May 2012, 08:38 AM
I had a gq commercial vechile 5 seater it had one piece glass rear windows from the factory.
Also seen these on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-MQ-GQ-6-86-12-97-LWB-DRIVERS-RIGHT-SIDE-REAR-1-4-GLASS-NEW-/261011242786?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc57b7f22

sibbles
17th May 2012, 02:39 AM
I would love a set of those single windows, but for almost $250 with rubber it is a bit steep.

Guin564
18th May 2012, 10:42 PM
I'm so doing this as i also have the silicone/screw combo back windows.
Any ideas where to get some polycarb ones near the lilydale VIC?

Clunk
18th May 2012, 11:03 PM
Once I've got the extra coin i'll be going for a set of the after market sliders from the guys in the vendors sectioon

BigMav
19th May 2012, 07:53 AM
So glad my Maverick came with a solid window from factory, not a hint of rust after 23 years is good. I like the idea of making them into a lift up style but I think it might be a bit more work then first thought.