PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Winch Recovery Technique.

AB
27th June 2010, 02:36 PM
This is a demonstration video on how to use your front mounted winch to pull yourself backwards.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P0j_9mRB5g8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P0j_9mRB5g8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

GQ4.2
27th June 2010, 05:47 PM
I don't think I would like to put that much strain on a winch

AB
27th June 2010, 05:53 PM
I've never done this, It also looks like a mission setting up.

As Plasnart mentions, you would prefer to get the hand winch out if possible.

the evil twin
27th June 2010, 06:01 PM
Yes, it works but pretty unrealistic... note that he was on nice solid level ground so minimal resistance and load
1. I carry a fair amount of recovery gear but I dont carry 4 snatch blocks, 3 tree trunk protectors and enough cable and shackles (at least 5) to do the rigging.
2. If you have mates with you to lend the gear then why don't you simplify the issue and get them to pull you out... even if they are in front of you and need to pull you backwards it is a simple matter of a redirect from that back tree using 1/4 the gear
3. The losses thru the double redirect to connect to the mechanical advantage (M.A.) rig at the rear of the Truck and strain on the whole rig mean you need at least a 3:1 M.A. on the rear of the truck if it is bogged even a little bit this means even more Snatch blocks or carrying double snatch blocks
4. The odds of getting stuck with the trees or rocks or other anchors in appropriate places to rig the pull are about as good as winning Lotto.

As Plasnart says... a hand winch (or even a Hi lift jack) is a waaaay more practical solution

Woods
30th June 2010, 10:20 PM
My mates and I tried this a while back to see if it will work.

Took us about 2 hours to figure it out like ET said "on flat ground".

It worked out but the tension was crazy. Not sure how you would go bogged hard.

Look it would work, if you had the gear, no hand winch and you were the last car in the conoy then yeah it would work.

But a million other ways to get out so It's a last resort in a unusual situation.

dunwurknbcs
17th August 2010, 10:47 AM
interesting

Maxhead
17th August 2010, 07:17 PM
I think the bloke is on drugs!

Jamie21
14th October 2010, 09:24 PM
My mates and I tried this a while back to see if it will work.

Took us about 2 hours to figure it out like ET said "on flat ground".

It worked out but the tension was crazy. Not sure how you would go bogged hard.

Look it would work, if you had the gear, no hand winch and you were the last car in the conoy then yeah it would work.

But a million other ways to get out so It's a last resort in a unusual situation.

Looks extremely difficult to set up thats for sure.

zuluwoffle
13th December 2010, 06:28 PM
looks like you need an engineering degree to pull it off lol

gokhangqtd42
12th April 2013, 06:53 PM
Perfect for traveling solo......

daggy
12th April 2013, 07:16 PM
He says that the most important thing in a recovery situation is safety. The winch is connected, it is live. He continually steps over it, not safe.

emu
15th April 2013, 08:21 PM
Like having a tug of war with itself, what's the average tow needed to pull a car from a bog.........say 400kg's.............so your going to need to take up 200kg's on front to give the rear the mechanical advantage of 400 kg's but now you also have an extra 200 on the front so it's going to take 600kg's to do the same.
And the more you take up the more resistance your creating..........i wouldn't even think about it too dodgie too many unknowns, when overloaded she will just break on the drum.
Like someone mentioned if you have room for 4 snatch blocks you have room for a hand winch.

Cheers

kegatron
25th August 2013, 12:52 AM
too hard... my head hurts trying to work it out

Vinnie
15th November 2014, 01:09 AM
Nice Technic

menace 2
15th November 2014, 02:42 PM
there is nothing wrong with that...there isnt any more line pull on the rope than if you pulled straight from the front..which effectively is what he is doing...the head slings and snatch blokes just need to be swl for the load it is going to pull...and the trees guessed as good for it..they are running sheaves !
otherwise how would you reeve up a hook block for a crane around a running sheave if you are going to loose value
there is no more tension in that than a straight line pull..
it looked good to me

menace 2
15th November 2014, 02:54 PM
as emu said..you would hsve a tug of war with yourself eventually...the snatch blocks would have be able to move in ...so that would be the time you loaded uo the rope..and ripped the car apart...lack of service stopped me seeing the end result of the video