PDA

View Full Version : my GQ with 33" muddies fitted

boggy2006
30th January 2011, 10:03 PM
hi,

thought I'd post a few pics of my GQ with the muddies fitted. Got the GQ a couple of months ago, fitted Ironman 2" HD springs, got a spare set of alloys off ebay and some Insa Turbo 33" muddies. Just had the tyres fitted to the rims so thought I'd try them out on the GQ to see how they fit. Crickey, they are big compared to the current 265/70/16s that are on (4" diameter bigger!!). They rub in a few spots on axle articulation, mainly the rear flares and front/rear mud guards. I've got a set of flexi flares coming, which will hopefully sort out the problem and also, I don't want to wreck the factory flares when offroading as they cost a bit! Just need a set of longer shocks now to allow more wheel drop. Got a few other things to do, such as wiring in my second battery, it's a 105Ah totally sealed battery, going in the dip behind the rear seats. Need to install the winch and build some drawers for the rear and lots of other bits and pieces to do.

Clunk
30th January 2011, 10:26 PM
nice mate, some serious rubber you got on there

YNOT
30th January 2011, 11:20 PM
That is some serious rubber.
I just did a quick search, they are a remoulded tyre. A bit like a retread but they cover the sidewall as well.

Tony

boggy2006
30th January 2011, 11:37 PM
thanks guys. The tyres' weight is like they've got 2 layers of rubber too. The tyres alone weigh more than the original tyres and rims together. At least 40kg each!! The noise too, is like a WWII plane coming down the road! Will definately be keeping my road tyres for every day use.

MudRunnerTD
31st January 2011, 07:57 AM
Looks good mate,

For your info though the front drivers side tyre is on Backwards or it should be on the left and it is on the wrong side but the photos of your rear show they are both correct. Take it back to the tyre fitter who obviously took no notice when fitting.

I am making the above assumption based on the Simex that these are a direct copy of though but certainly the tread pattern is supposed to run in the opposite direction for best result. The remould will likely have been put on a radial carcass though so it is no big deal.

The tread should really be running the same direction on all tyres and should match the direction int eh pic posted by Ynot above.

Cheers mate and enjoy.

boggy2006
31st January 2011, 08:44 AM
aha, yes well spotted, thanks for pointing it out. Originally I asked the garage to fit 3 of the tyres to the left side rims and 2 to the right side rims. But they had real problems balancing them and ended up marking up the best balanced wheels for the front, the next best for the rear and the one with no weights for the spare. However that's where their thought process ended as they didn't think about the rotation and I ended up not have the correct one for the front right when I tried them at home. I ended up trying the rear right on the front and the spare on the rear right (if that makes sense). I checked them out up to 100k's and couldn't detect any vibration (just the sound of a Spitfire engine running somewhere close!), so hopefully they'll be ok.

AB
31st January 2011, 09:18 AM
That's some serious tread mate!

They look good!

Bigrig
31st January 2011, 09:24 AM
Amazing what a difference a decent set of rubber makes!! Looks great!!!

patch697
31st January 2011, 01:53 PM
Thay would be no good where I am but thay are an impressive boot for sure.

boggy2006
31st January 2011, 10:16 PM
Thay would be no good where I am but thay are an impressive boot for sure.

what kind of tracks are there around your way?

patch697
31st January 2011, 11:10 PM
what kind of tracks are there around your way?

Mostly sand out my way & things that dig big holes like your tyres would tend not to be very user friendly in afraid.

I would go a set for playing in the over winter time though for sure.

Finly Owner
31st January 2011, 11:21 PM
what was the price like?

Clunk
1st February 2011, 03:57 AM
what was the price like?

seen them on ebay for just under the 200 mark

boggy2006
1st February 2011, 09:10 AM
Mostly sand out my way & things that dig big holes like your tyres would tend not to be very user friendly in afraid.

I would go a set for playing in the over winter time though for sure.

ha, yes, not so good for sand unless your into digging holes! Should be good in the mud though. It's a bit dry at the moment, but I found a track near my house where some diggers had been with deep rutted soil and 2WD was enough!

boggy2006
1st February 2011, 09:11 AM
there's a few on Ebay at various prices for different sizes. I got five 285's for $275 each, there are 5 left.

KINGRAT502
5th February 2011, 12:49 PM
love the treads,,,what type of money do you pay for tyre like this

growler2058
28th February 2011, 03:09 PM
good lookin rubber just have to wait for my micket t's to wear out

big_fletch
28th February 2011, 06:45 PM
Amazing how changing rubber can turn a vehicle into something that looks so tough.. awesome looking tyres there mate!!