PDA

View Full Version : Rear shelving

paulyg
29th January 2014, 09:20 PM
Almost never use the back seats,
So I pulled them out and made up some shelving to go there.

sil3nt_dr3ams
29th January 2014, 10:27 PM
mate best thing i ever did was remove my rear seats. but i moved my cage to behind the front seats.

threedogs
30th January 2014, 09:19 AM
Very nice will follow your build, I removed the passenger seat behind the driver and made a platform for my Engel
If I need 4 seats its only 4 bolts to put back to std

MudRunnerTD
30th January 2014, 10:41 AM
Looking good mate, I would advise to fit a sheet of ply ot the front of the front legs for the water tank to lean against though, i think there is a real likelihood that you will end up with a punctured water bladder in the position over time. Looks good though.

I assume your just putting bedding and clothes bags and soft stuff on top of that shelf? Hence leaving the cargo barrier where it is? Did you make the space under the size to suit a particular Tub size? or Engel on a Fridge slide or something?

paulyg
30th January 2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys, the space on the bottom is what's left after making space for the bladder,
I have some 4mm mdf lying around which I can line the side with, nothing to heavy will go on top, there is still some tie down brackets to go on the top so that everything is strapped down tight

Warwick89
15th February 2014, 03:00 PM
Just considered doing the same thing in my GU about 3minutes ago lol. Does anyone know the legality of doing this?

opinion
17th February 2014, 06:39 AM
paulyg - do you know the added weight of the storage - maybe compared with the seats weights? I plan to do something similar in my car. Soon ...

liftlid
17th February 2014, 08:41 AM
Just considered doing the same thing in my GU about 3minutes ago lol. Does anyone know the legality of doing this?

It depends on the state your in, vicroads web site has info on seating changes, you would need to change your rego details if the change was considered "permanent".

paulyg
17th February 2014, 05:47 PM
Hi opinion, I haven't weighed the shelves but it feels to me to be about the same weight, I used 20mm rhs with a 1.2 wall thickness and 12mm mdf.